PDA

View Full Version : Marine receives Purple Heart

thedrifter
03-27-07, 07:43 AM
Article published Mar 27, 2007
Marine receives Purple Heart
Member of Engineer Company B was wounded by sniper fire.

JOSHUA STOWE
Tribune Staff Writer

SOUTH BEND -- His 1-year-old son shook his hand and wouldn't let go. His mother embraced him and kissed him.

And one by one, Cpl. Marvin Heimann's fellow Marines greeted him Monday morning, sharing brief congratulations at the end of a simple ceremony in which he received the Purple Heart.

The Purple Heart honors military personnel who have been wounded or killed in action.

Heimann, 25, of Decatur, Ind., was wounded by sniper fire in January while serving in Iraq with Engineer Company B, a locally based Marine Reserve unit.

"It's good to see you walking, man," one Marine said as he shook Heimann's hand and clapped him on the back. "I didn't think you would be."Heimann was helping to build a roof for a building in Fallujah when a sniper's bullet struck his left hip, narrowly missing his femoral artery.

"I heard the round," Heimann said. "I just felt a burning sensation, and that was really it."

The Marines working around him went down when they heard the shot. Several crawled to him and helped staunch the bleeding before he could be taken away.

"We gave him first aid after he was hit," said Lance Cpl. Jeremy Frye, one of several Marines who assisted Heimann. "He was actually right beside me, like within a foot of me."

Mark Slingerland, Navy Petty Officer 2nd Class, helped treat Heimann's wounds before Heimann was evacuated. He said Marines at the scene did an "amazing" job of applying first aid, adding that Heimann was fortunate the bullet missed his artery."It probably would've been fatal," he said.

It was 4 a.m. when Heimann's wife, Casandra, picked up the phone and learned her husband had been shot.

"I was scared," she said. "At first, I couldn't believe it. I was sleeping, so at first, it was a nightmare."

On Monday, she was beaming as she watched Company B honor Heimann."It's very exciting and I'm very proud," she said. "He deserves it."

Heimann, who still walks with a limp, said he'll soon begin physical therapy. He plans to return to his job, building mobile homes back home in Decatur.

"I feel blessed," he said quietly, as other Marines walked around and talked after the ceremony, "and I feel proud."

Staff writer Joshua Stowe:
jstowe@sbtinfo.com
(574) 235-6359

Ellie