PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Cities families wait for Marines to come home

thedrifter
03-27-07, 04:54 AM
Tri-Cities families wait for Marines to come home

Monday, Mar 26, 2007 - 10:01 PM

TriCities.com Staff Reports

One more red mark on the calendar. One more day crossed out until their family members come home from war.

Last week, Lima Company Marine families learned their loved ones would be home next month. Since then, wives like Brittany Shaffer have been counting down the days until then.

Brittany's husband is Lance Corporal Jeremy Shaffer. Their daughter Madison was two months old when she left. Now: she has hair...teeth...and is talking.

"I actually had mentioned one time, I said, oh my goodness she's going to be a year old. He's like: I don't want to think about it,” Brittany Shaffer said. “I don't want to talk about it. Let's move on to something else."

It’s the small sacrifices of a war now in its 5th year. Madison can talk. She can almost walk.

"She's used to me putting her to bed at night. She's used to me giving her a bath. She's used to me fixing her breakfast. So throwing someone into her daily routine, I think, will spice things up a little bit."

Shaffer is one of 40 marines with Lima -- making their trip to Iraq for the first time. Fifteen others had been there before.

Ellie