PDA

View Full Version : Will scoliosis keep me out of the Corps?

tuna quesadilla
03-26-07, 04:51 PM
I've recently been diagnosed with minor scoliosis. Serving my country as a Marine has been a dream of mine for years, but I'm afraid I'll be rejected due to the Scoliosis. For those who are not aware, scoliosis is basically a birth defect in which the spine does not grow straight; in simple terms, my back is crooked. I've tried searching but haven't been able to find anything conclusive. Does anybody know if having scoliosis will keep me out of the Marine Corps?

MGySgtSki
03-26-07, 05:09 PM
I've recently been diagnosed with minor scoliosis. Serving my country as a Marine has been a dream of mine for years, but I'm afraid I'll be rejected due to the Scoliosis. For those who are not aware, scoliosis is basically a birth defect in which the spine does not grow straight; in simple terms, my back is crooked. I've tried searching but haven't been able to find anything conclusive. Does anybody know if having scoliosis will keep me out of the Marine Corps?

I can't say for certain these days, but I went to boot camp with a Marine (he and I are both still in almost 20 years later) who has scoliosis. About the only trouble he had was the DIs always trying to straighten him out at the position of attention. His left shoulder dipped a good 3-5 inches lower than his right and the DIs were forever grabbing his shoulders and trying to straighten him up. Called him Sidewinder......funny stuff.

S/F

tuna quesadilla
03-26-07, 05:37 PM
I can't say for certain these days, but I went to boot camp with a Marine (he and I are both still in almost 20 years later) who has scoliosis. About the only trouble he had was the DIs always trying to straighten him out at the position of attention. His left shoulder dipped a good 3-5 inches lower than his right and the DIs were forever grabbing his shoulders and trying to straighten him up. Called him Sidewinder......funny stuff.

S/F

Thank you for the reply. My case of scoliosis is not that bad. There's around an inch of unevenness (is that a word?) in the shoulders, and my ability to perform physical activity is not impaired at all - heck, I just jogged a mile in about seven minutes today for NJROTC. I suppose the best course of action would be to contact a recruiter and see what he can tell me. Thanks again, Master Sergeant.

Allen870922
03-26-07, 09:38 PM
I saw 1 person discharged from boot for scoliosis. But his was pretty bad. Bad enough that he couldn't carry the packs without being in pain. But yeah, as you said in your post above this, ask a...

SnowPaint078
03-27-07, 08:29 AM
Thank you for the reply. My case of scoliosis is not that bad. There's around an inch of unevenness (is that a word?) in the shoulders, and my ability to perform physical activity is not impaired at all - heck, I just jogged a mile in about seven minutes today for NJROTC. I suppose the best course of action would be to contact a recruiter and see what he can tell me. Thanks again, Master Sergeant.

Well I think that if you can perform at the same rate as other recruits with out taking any medication you should be fine. You may need a waiver during MEPS but thats it. I have minor acne and they were like does it cause you any pain and discomfort and I told them straight up that "no it doesn't and I can still do workouts to the best of my ability" and that was enough for them to let it slide. Scoliosis is probably a little different but I am sure that if it doesnt affect you you should be fine, but dont hold me to that, MEPS is very "picky" about who they take in. They look at everything and question everything, but what ever you do dont lie about it.

davblay
03-27-07, 09:03 AM
I suppose the best course of action would be to contact a recruiter and see what he can tell me.

EXACTLY THE RIGHT COURSE!

ggyoung
03-27-07, 12:06 PM
Reminds me when I was in bootcamp and at the rifle range I got a infectioh in my knick and it made my head tilt to the left. The PMI's and the DI's were having fits and thought I was faking it. They would slame my head into my rifle while at right shoulder arms. I was black and blue on my head and face on my right side. It was pure hell for me at that time.

SnowPaint078
03-27-07, 12:09 PM
Reminds me when I was in bootcamp and at the rifle range I got a infectioh in my knick and it made my head tilt to the left. The PMI's and the DI's were having fits and thought I was faking it. They would slame my head into my rifle while at right shoulder arms. I was black and blue on my head and face on my right side. It was pure hell for me at that time.

And I thought my weight will be a problem... Looks like I have more to worry about than I thought lol

davblay
03-27-07, 12:13 PM
And I thought my weight will be a problem... Looks like I have more to worry about than I thought lol

Looks like the poolee is correcting your spelling, Sgt! ;)

Gabe
04-10-07, 02:15 PM
My dad also has scoliosis. Because of the way his spine is curved, his left leg is about 3/4 of an inch shorter than his right leg. Scoliosis did not stop him from going to PI. My dad delt with it so unless you're a big pansy (which I know you aren't) you'll be able to complete your training. Good Luck!
-Gabe

tuna quesadilla
04-10-07, 03:41 PM
I spoke with a recruiter and he said that as long as I can do all the work, it doesn't matter how much my back is curved. He did say, however, that I might get singled out and picked on by my DIs for my awkward shape. But if that's what it takes to be a Marine, I will gladly put myself through it. Thanks to all of you for the replies. :thumbup:

SnowPaint078
04-10-07, 05:53 PM
Ya exactly, as long as you can do what they want you to for the most part your set. But congrats that is good news.