PDA

View Full Version : Left handed rifle?

HLeyb
03-26-07, 10:52 AM
I'm naturally a righty, but my vision in my right eye is poor and my vision in my left eye is 20/15. I guess that makes me left eye dominant. I was wondering if because of this I will be issued a Left Handed rifle. I certainly think it would be easier for me to qualify with one. Once again, thank you all for your answers, you've been a tremendous help thus far.

killerinstinct
03-26-07, 11:01 AM
every rifle is the same you just get the shells shot at you if use it left handed.

davblay
03-26-07, 11:05 AM
I'm naturally a righty, but my vision in my right eye is poor and my vision in my left eye is 20/15. I guess that makes me left eye dominant. I was wondering if because of this I will be issued a Left Handed rifle. I certainly think it would be easier for me to qualify with one. Once again, thank you all for your answers, you've been a tremendous help thus far.

The Weapon makers make all weapons for right hand shooters! There is an adaptor that will deflect the spent casing from your face, if you are a lefty! My advise is, learn to shoot right handed, because you will not like the adaptor, even if they give you one! ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME! ;)

OOO-RAH

Quinbo
03-26-07, 11:21 AM
I can remember those adapters. The newer rifles have a built in brass deflector. The selector switch is made so it can be reversed but I've yet to see one that has.

The short answer is that there are no left handed weapons to be had.

SkilletsUSMC
03-26-07, 11:23 AM
The Weapon makers make all weapons for right hand shooters! There is an adaptor that will deflect the spent casing from your face, if you are a lefty! My advise is, learn to shoot right handed, because you will not like the adaptor, even if they give you one! ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME! ;)

OOO-RAH

Im guessing youre used to the M16A1 davblay.

The adaptor youre talking about is called a brass deflector and its cast into the upper reciever its self, so you ownt have to worry about not being issued one.

The M16A2-A4 are both pretty ambidexterous, Most lefties I know dont seem to be bothered with them.

For the original poster, how bad is your eyesight in you left eye? If it were me I would do the like davblay and shoot righthanded if thats the dominiant hand. But Ive never been a lefty...

davblay
03-26-07, 11:45 AM
Thanks skillets, I have never laid my hands on either of the newer weapons.

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-26-07, 03:54 PM
If you are left eye dominant you will want to shoot the rifle with your left hand. Honestly, if you're going to be a pogue, it won't matter as much. But, if you're going to be in the field depending on your rifle for your life on a regular basis, it behooves you to be able to shoot with both eyes open. If you are shooting a rifle with your weak eye, you will have to close your strong eye. That is less than ideal.

You will be able to shoot a pistol with your right hand and left eye if that is necessary for you. But it does not work well with a rifle.

HLeyb
03-26-07, 04:20 PM
The vision in my right eye is 20/300. It would be almost impossible for me to hit a target at 500 yards with just that eye open. That being said, I guess I'll have to learn to shoot lefty. Is there anything anyone can suggest to make my learning experience easier? I hear that going to a firing range before boot is not a good idea, but in this case would it be different?

Thanks again.

rvillac2
03-26-07, 04:37 PM
Don't worry about going to a range now.

The best thing to make your learning experience on the range easier is to stretch and make yourself as limber as possible.
Sit cross legged for 20minutes a time.
Do other stretches that bring your knees close to your chest.

You will join the many other recruits who have never even held a rifle. Learn from us and we'll teach you the best ways to fire (even left handed).

davblay
03-26-07, 08:17 PM
The vision in my right eye is 20/300.

Do you wear corrective lens for your right eye? If so can you see to shoot while wearing your glasses? Just asking! ;)

HLeyb
03-26-07, 09:46 PM
The vision is 20/300 corrected :- (

I have a lazy eye so there isn't much that can be done. I actually improved it by eye exercise from 20/400. Until they figure out a way (medically) to fix it, I'm stuck with my one good eye.

YLDNDN6
03-27-07, 06:19 AM
The good news is that the bayonet is available in a version for left-handers, as well as left-handed ammo, to compensate for the right-hand twist of the barrel. Also ask your Drill Instructor for a left-handed razor to make shaving a little less awkward.

Marine84
03-27-07, 07:36 AM
Also ask your Drill Instructor for a left-handed razor to make shaving a little less awkward.

You ain't got a lick of sense!

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-27-07, 02:21 PM
I have the same problem and I had to teach myself to shoot left handed-- because I didn't think to change in boot camp. I'm right handed, have always shot right handed, and it never occured to me that I should change.

Your PMI will teach you everything you need to know about shooting. Don't worry about trying to learn how to do it now. Honestly, you are at an advantage. In the years of playing with toy guns/airsoft/paintball that you've probably been through you have developed some bad habits. However, those habits are right handed. When you learn to shoot with your left hand you will leave many, or all, of them behind.

The only difficult thing for me was to get used to shouldering the rifle on that side. I've shot thousands upon thousands of rounds, and at times it still feels akward when I first put the rifle into my left shoulder.

HLeyb
03-27-07, 04:53 PM
I have the same problem and I had to teach myself to shoot left handed-- because I didn't think to change in boot camp. I'm right handed, have always shot right handed, and it never occured to me that I should change.

Your PMI will teach you everything you need to know about shooting. Don't worry about trying to learn how to do it now. Honestly, you are at an advantage. In the years of playing with toy guns/airsoft/paintball that you've probably been through you have developed some bad habits. However, those habits are right handed. When you learn to shoot with your left hand you will leave many, or all, of them behind.

The only difficult thing for me was to get used to shouldering the rifle on that side. I've shot thousands upon thousands of rounds, and at times it still feels akward when I first put the rifle into my left shoulder.

Thats a big relief, thanks Echo!