The blood he cannot erase--it stains
His clothes, his hands, his face,
As he continues forever upon his way

Copyright ©2000 Thomas Rutherford

Sempers,

Roger

faris4life
02-22-03, 02:48 PM
I want to say something but um, I can't think of anything to say is that what it's like? I often wondered but not too many military people talk about how is it after they get back from war. I figured something like that but I never asked my grandpa or anyone whos been in one figured it was something they'd rather not talk about.

Barrio_rat
02-22-03, 04:39 PM
When I was young (about 14) I asked my father if he had to "fight" when he was in Korea. He answered, "yes." I then asked him if he ever killed anyone. Again, he answered "yes" but the tone in his voice told me to not ask again. When he did speak of his time in, it was usually about when he was at Lejeune or on Okinawa - if it was ever about Korea, it was about what the Marines at Pusan, Inchon or the Frozen Chosin did - battles he did was not a part of, or the humorous moments that he remembered.

greybeard
02-22-03, 08:05 PM
When I was first considering enlisting in the Corps, back in 66, a friend of my father's spoke to me,some..of Chosin. Told me of the Thanksgiving meal, and what followed in the next few months. I won't repeat them here, most of you have read about it, or know someone who was there. I used to haul hay for this guy, in my early teens-he worked like there would be no tomorrow, a trait I guess he picked up on that frozen ground. Things didn't click then, not till years later when I'd came back from overseas. I think I know now why he'd sometimes just stare off accross those hayfields. I don't think it was bales he was seeing.
Like I say, he told me a few things, Mr Cecil Singleton did. I've forgotten almost all but one sentence.
"I'll tell ya one thing Donnie Boy. When you come back home to Highlands Texas, in that uniform, main street won't be wide enough for you and another person to walk down."
30+ yrs ago & I can hear him as if it's yesterday.

leroy8541
02-22-03, 11:24 PM
The day I joined the Corps My Pap told me I jumped out of the Frying Pan and into the Fire. I still ain't figured that one out. He was a green beret army soldier in Viet Nam. I have a few combat action ribbons of my own now, but I still can't understand him. I try to talk to my son about this, but his eyes begin to shine I just shut up I think he's taking it the wrong way. I wonder if thats the reason my pap never talked to me?