PDA

View Full Version : Married Recruit

osborned
03-25-07, 01:37 PM
Was wondering if anyone had advice for a married poolee. Are married recruits treated any differently? I'd also like to make sure they allow me to call my wife instead of insisting I call a parent.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-25-07, 06:24 PM
No, they aren't treated differently as far as I know.

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-25-07, 07:31 PM
They just told us to make a call. But, if they insist you call a parent, I suggest you do so.

But, in honesty your marital status doesn't matter at all.

fastroper
03-25-07, 09:41 PM
Don't plan on any special treatment from the Corps because you are married, you will be told that if the Marines wanted you to have a wife, they would have issued you one.lol.

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-25-07, 09:48 PM
Does anyone else remember when General Mundy tried to make it impossible to enlist if you had any dependents? He took a lot of heat for the idea and had to stop turning away potential recruits that fell into the group- but it made sense. Being a Marine isn't easy for families- especially early in a career. It is highly likely that you will not be with your wife for more than a few days until you have completed MOS school. That is not a good thing for a marriage.

Allen870922
03-26-07, 12:20 AM
Was wondering if anyone had advice for a married poolee. Are married recruits treated any differently? I'd also like to make sure they allow me to call my wife instead of insisting I call a parent.

Not that I've ever seen. And I don't remember them ever insisting you call your parents. Its like a 15 second phone call. Just call your wife.

baronius
03-26-07, 12:21 AM
It is highly likely that you will not be with your wife for more than a few days until you have completed MOS school. That is not a good thing for a marriage.
If you're married and in the Marine Corps, doesn't your wife live with you wherever your duty station is? Or do you have to be in for a certain number of years before you can live in married housing?

YLDNDN6
03-26-07, 05:45 AM
You are pretty much on your own until after MOS school, though I was in with a guy who brought his wife down to Pensacola and his parents helped them with rent on an apartment while they were there. The government doesn't want to pay for housing in a bunch of short-term situations. That's my experience, anyway....

Achped
03-26-07, 08:00 AM
A few Marines that graduated boot said the only thing they were allowed to do differently at the recruit depot was have a talk with their senior drill instructor about their relationship. They said that if you went to have a talk, and I think he called it a "Heart to heart" with your senior about a "relationship" but you weren't married, he would just laugh you out of the Drill Instructor house. Also, there was a married recruit who was having trouble staying motivated and the platoon would always say stuff like "Think of your wife! Don't go home empty handed!".

He said other than that, there was no difference.

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-26-07, 09:31 AM
If you're married and in the Marine Corps, doesn't your wife live with you wherever your duty station is? Or do you have to be in for a certain number of years before you can live in married housing?

No. When you are in MOS school, you will not be authorized to have your wife with you. If you do have her come to your school you will have to live off base without getting BAQ/BHS allowances. Unless you happen to have one of the really long schools you will also run into a problem in that you will have to sign a lease to live in an apartment but you won't be there long enough to fulfill the lease.

Junior enlisted Marines sent overseas (Oki) go on unaccompanied one year tours. That means your wife won't go with you there either.

Simply put, your priority is the Marine Corps, not your wife. If the needs of the Corps demand that you be seperated, then you will be.

undergrad2010
06-06-07, 02:12 PM
First off, I love this site. It is very informative and entertaining. I have a question that I haven't found the answer to so far. If one was to join the USMC and take the OCC route to entered as an officer, would the Marine (upon completion of OCC) be able to live with his wife on (or off) base during his 6 month training that follows? If I have misstated anything, please forgive me and correct me so that I might not make the same mistake twice. Thanks,

--Michael

ggyoung
06-06-07, 04:03 PM
E4B==========If you go over seas on say barricks duty, brig duty or any number of things you can take your wife if you are a Sgt. or above. It will be conciderd "stateside duty" after a 2 or 3 year tour you can be sent over seas to a FMF duty. Seen it happen several times.

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-06-07, 04:12 PM
That is not the typical way people are stationed over seas. I have never met a person that went on an accompanied tour as a junior enlisted person. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but I am saying the chances are slim.

ggyoung
06-06-07, 04:34 PM
E4B=======This was durning the 60's and early 70's.

davblay
06-06-07, 05:02 PM
The SGT is right E4B, even back in my day it was E-5's and above for family over seas! I guess you have to have been there! Think about it, E-4's and below are typically first enlistment people and they can't afford the expences of living over seas! Besides, would you want your wife over there, alone most of the time, or would you both be more comfortablr with her staying with family?

Believe it or not, the Corps is looking out for the family! Experience dictates policy, ya know! Can you imagine the stress it woud cause on both spouses, with little to no time together in a foriegn land?

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-06-07, 06:04 PM
I am confused. You sound like you're agreeing with me that the family doesn't go over seas with junior enlisted Marines, but you said I'm wrong. Oh well, I am sure I am. Nothing new there.

chili77bowl
06-06-07, 07:04 PM
to the original poster:
Yes, you get special treatment, you get conjucal visits during boot camp...

NOT!

and as far as family overseas with junior marines, I just heard of a LCpl showing up to Okinawa with a SPONSORED family.

As a Cpl, i came over (to oki) with my wife and child...I picked up Sgt three months later, but still i was a cpl here with family.

your wife and children are NOT advised to go to the schools with you...
Trust me, leave them at home...it gets them ready for all the deployments.

Don't think that the Corps is gonna give you any special treatment due to a wife, actually there are sometimes, because of my family,that it's a bigger hassel than anything...I have to call them sometimes and say, "I'll be home in a bit, but i gotta pack and get ready to leave in the morning for (destination of mission)"...
My wife loves that.

But she understands that she is a Marine Wife, and she has to raise my kids to be Marine Brats...and they have to deal with that.

That's just my two cents...take it or leave it...

ggyoung
06-07-07, 12:47 PM
E4B========+++++Durning my time 1964-71 If you were FMF you could NOT take your familey overs seas with the exception of Hawwii. If you were on barricks duty, brig duty or some other type of duty not FMF then you could take your familey with. ( this is for E-5 and above only) It was then counted the same as stateside duty. Several Marines I know done this. They worked the brig in Japan and they got there orders for Vietnam. The DoD payed for there trip home with all of there stuff including there cars. I have no idea how it works now.

Tegan
06-07-07, 06:07 PM
ok ok ok.
the phone call: you hardly have time to think of a number so whatever comes first dont waste your time and make sure you call someone.
the wife: your alone until you get to the fleet. you can sort out the BAH and stuff when you get to your first duty station.

smjone4
06-11-07, 04:38 PM
If you come into the Marine Corps married like I did, your BAH starts your first day of boot camp. Your wife cannot live with you until you get to the fleet, but once you get there the Corps will move you or let you move yourself and reimburse you for it. I suggest base housing because rent and utilities are free. If you have any other questions send me a message.