PDA

View Full Version : 'On Call in Hell:' A riveting snapshot of war

thedrifter
03-25-07, 09:18 AM
'On Call in Hell:' A riveting snapshot of war

By Mark DavisDAYTONA BEACH (FLA.) NEWS-JOURNAL
Article Last Updated: 03/25/2007 03:45:13 AM PDT

OF ALL the intriguing stories to come out of Iraq, Richard Jadick's is one of the most unique and heroic. He's not a journalist, general or political analyst — he's a veteran doctor who volunteered to join the Marines to help fill a shortage of qualified medical personnel.

His story, "On Call in Hell: A Doctor's Iraq War Story" (NAL Caliber, $24.95), won't win the Pulitzer or National Book Award, but it tells a small but important chapter in the history of the war in Iraq. During the battle, Jadick helped pioneer a new method of war medicine. Instead of staying well behind the front lines, he went to the wounded, setting up a makeshift emergency room in the middle of the battlefield. Through these forward aid stations (FAS), he and his team saved many lives by instantly treating the wounded.

For his efforts, Jadick was awarded the Bronze Star with a Combat V for Valor, the only Navy doctor to receive it during the war.

"The time I spent there, the men I served with and the people we saved, these things will stay with me forever," writes Jadick. "All of the stories in this book — stories of honor, courage, brotherhood, and service, stories of horror and of humanity — are stories that should be told."

Ellie