PDA

View Full Version : Bootcamp Terminology/Lingo

SnowPaint078
03-25-07, 09:12 AM
I was reading a thread in here which made me realize, I dont know a lot of the terminology. Should I know all the words/lingo before I go to bootcamp? Or is it something you learn while your there. If I should know it before hand, can some one post what they know. I would be very greatfull.

Allen870922
03-25-07, 11:44 AM
I was reading a thread in here which made me realize, I dont know a lot of the terminology. Should I know all the words/lingo before I go to bootcamp? Or is it something you learn while your there. If I should know it before hand, can some one post what they know. I would be very greatfull.

Aye Sir: Response to a statemant or Order.
Yes/No Sir: Response to a question.

Thats pretty much all you need to know right there.

HLeyb
03-25-07, 11:50 AM
Also I've heard knowing the first 2 General Orders is a plus. <br />
Correct me if I'm mistaken Marines. <br />
<br />
1. To take charge of this post and all government property in view. <br />
<br />
2. To walk my post in a...

semperfi170
03-25-07, 12:20 PM
My opinion based on my experience is that it doesn't hurt to have some knowledge before doing anything in life. That being said, there are more individuals that go to boot camp with very little knowledge and learn what they need to know. Let the Drill Instructors do the job they have been trained to do and you do your job as a recruit! Your job is to listen, learn, and apply what they are teaching you do and become!:flag:

Marine84
03-25-07, 12:26 PM
the weirdest thing for me to get used to was calling a bathroom a head - where I come from head ain't even close to meaning bathroom. Wonder how they came up with THAT one anyway? Maybe cause when you have to pee you head off to the bathroom and since telling someone that you're going to the bathroom ain't proper ettiquette...................going to the head is??

Shrike
03-25-07, 12:54 PM
Immediately, you'll be expected to learn a brand new vocabulary (no mistakes allowed!). You don't go "upstairs," you go "topside." You don't go downstairs, you go "down below." Your bunk becomes a "rack." The latrine is a "head." The floor is a "deck." The walls are "bulkheads." The windows are "portholes." the ceiling is an "overhead." You face "forward." Behind you is "aft." Facing forward, left is "port," and right is "starboard." Never, EVER call the D.I.'s office an "office." It is, and always will be the "D.I. House."

Third-person language is also a cardinal rule. It's not "me," or "I," it's "this recruit." It's not "them," or "us," it's "these recruits," or "those recruits." Never, EVER, say the word, "you" to your drill instructor. The proper phrase would be "Sir, this recruit does not understand the drill instructor's request, sir." (Shouted at the top of your lungs, of course).
While I use the word, "D.I." in this article, Never, EVER, call your drill instructor a "D.I." Your drill instructor is referred to as "Drill Instructor [Rank][Name]."

Shrike
03-25-07, 12:58 PM
I suppose, every poolee should read that "How To Survive Boot Camp" text.

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/ht/bootcamp.htm?terms=marine+survival+tips

PerXes
03-25-07, 01:51 PM
Well, one thing that hasn't been mentioned that I thought could have come in handy, but didn't get taught right away was how to talk to Drill Instructors or Marines or civilians. I had to talk to a Drill Instructor to request more forms once, and had no idea how to go about it.

So, when you want to talk to a Drill Instructor you say,
"Sir,
|greeting of the day|, Recruit Shmukatelli requests permission to speak to (Senior) Drill Instructor |name| |rank|<rank> <name>!"

Receiving is the only time that you won't know this. You won't know ranks and names when you're there, so it will probably be safe to just request permission to speak, and leave off the ending if you don't know who they are.

As for the proper greeting of the day, it is like this:
Before noon chow you say "Good Morning, Sir"
After noon chow you say "Good Afternoon, Sir"
After evening chow you say "Good Evening, Sir"

You guys really don't need to fret about this stuff, you'll pick it up in a heartbeat. Requesting permission to speak and not using personal pronouns were the two things that recruits in my platoon had trouble with.

Another thing recruits did was apologize when they screwed up..don't do that. Just scream aye sir.
</name></rank>

jinelson
03-25-07, 01:52 PM
Its good to see you posting on the board again Oleg!

Jim

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-25-07, 02:08 PM
I don't know why it is said that the DI's office is, was, and will be the DI House. In my first platoon, MRP, and my second platoon it was the duty hut.

Whoever said you should know your first two general orders is wrong. They are no more or less important than the others. Know at least your general orders and the rank structure before you ship.

ItzAlex
03-25-07, 02:08 PM
The recruiters at my RSS taught us whenever a Marine yells "EYEBALLS!" The poolees scream "Click, sir, click!". I was waiting for them to instruct us on "EARS", but it never came... would it be "Open, sir, open?"

jinelson
03-25-07, 02:12 PM
I think all Poolee's can benefit by reading the Fontmans Unofficial Dictionary of Marine Terms. Thanks Mark for putting this together.

http://www.thefontman.com/marinedictionary.html

Semper Fi

Jim

PerXes
03-25-07, 02:17 PM
The recruiters at my RSS taught us whenever a Marine yells "EYEBALLS!" The poolees scream "Click, sir, click!". I was waiting for them to instruct us on "EARS", but it never came... would it be "Open, sir, open?"

What they want you to say will depend on your Drill Instructors. Mine had us say "snap, sir"

baronius
03-25-07, 06:22 PM
Well, one thing that hasn't been mentioned that I thought could have come in handy, but didn't get taught right away was how to talk to Drill Instructors or Marines or civilians. I had to talk to a Drill Instructor to request more forms once, and had no idea how to go about it.

So, when you want to talk to a Drill Instructor you say,
"Sir,
|greeting of the day|, Recruit Shmukatelli requests permission to speak to (Senior) Drill Instructor |name| |rank|<rank> <name>!"

</name></rank>
What is a greeting of the day?

Sgt Leprechaun
03-25-07, 06:26 PM
"Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening, Sir!" Greeting will depend on what time it is.

It would also be helpful if you began learning military time as well.

YMPfcDeremer
03-25-07, 08:23 PM
I'd say that memorizing all Eleven General Orders before you go to Boot Camp would be way better. I'm not trying to brag but I've got all of them memorized and I can't go to Boot Camp for over two...

Integrity57
03-25-07, 08:32 PM
I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned acronyms, although they're probably used more in the Fleet than Boot Camp, but still,WWWDWOA? lol

SnowPaint078
03-25-07, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the tips and links everyone it is helping a lot and should help more in the future. But this recruit is off to use the head and then go to his rack, Goodnight [Name - Rank] lol. I think I got it so far but ya I still have to remember the 11 gen orders & also officer ranks

1stRad2671
03-25-07, 09:04 PM
When you DEP in do they no longer give you an 80-page packet of info?
I still have what I was given.

Table of Contents

Ch.1 You and the Delayed Entry Program
-Welcome Aboard
-Poolee DEP-In Brief
-Why I Joined the Marine Corps
-To The Family
-For Your Understanding (Family DEP-In Brief)
-Frequently Asked Questions about the Marine Corps
-The Marine Corps Referral Program
-Pool Activity Journal
-Weekly Contact Sheet

Ch.2 Core Values
-Marine Corps Core Values
-Marine Corps Leadership Values

Ch.3 Poolee Physical Conditioning Program
-Physical Conditioning Fundamentals
-Heat Casualty Prevention
-Nutrition and Weight Control
-Individual Conditioning Programs
-----Physical Conditioning Program I
-----Physical Conditioning Program II
-----Physical Conditioning Program III
-----Physical Conditioning Program IV
-----Physical Conditioning Program V
-----Physical Fitness Progress Chart

Ch.4 Recruit Training Orientation
-A Few Important Thoughts About Recruit Training
-An Overview of Recruit Training

Ch.5 Getting a Head Start
-What You Need to Know Before You Go!

Ch.6 Poolee Study Sheets

The What You Need to Know Before You Go! section lists General Orders, Marines' Motto, Mission of the Marine Corps, Marine Corps Birthday, Chain of Command, Customs and Courtesies, Code of Conduct, Oath Glossary of Terms. I could list all the terms some other time.

mrbsox
03-25-07, 09:05 PM
... calling a bathroom a head - ... Wonder how they came up with THAT one anyway?

Nautical terms from our Naval tradition.

In the days of SAILING ships, the 'head' was up at the bow of the ship, near where the deck comes to a point, for the fore sail (jib ??). A head (seat for taking care of buisness) on each side.

?? But why up front, you may ask ?? With the ship sailling forward, doesn't that mean that everything released, flys BACKWARD ??

Remember.... these were SAILING ships, powered by the wind.

And...

The wind was ALWAYS behind. Maybe a lottle port, maybe a little starboard, but always behind.

Carry on !!

SnowPaint078
03-25-07, 09:15 PM
Actually I forgot about my packet of info I recieved when I entered the DEP. Its only 33 pages though but it does have a lot of helpful hints as well as the ranks, creeds, gen. orders, and what to bring to bootcamp. Oh and it also has a 40 min dvd in back. Thankyou, I forgot I had all this still. I will start to review it this week and hopefully learn something new as well as polish what I do know already.

fastroper
03-25-07, 09:30 PM
Just remember to stay out of the "DI Highway"!!!!!!!!

davblay
03-25-07, 11:48 PM
I'd say that memorizing all Eleven General Orders before you go to Boot Camp would be way better. I'm not trying to brag but I've got all of them memorized and I can't go to Boot Camp for over two years. Next thing I've got to memorize is the Rifleman's Creed.

The sooner you learn the General Orders and the Riflemans creed, the better, believe me the Drill Instructors love to hear it.
I think it starts out:

This is my rifle
there are many like it but this one is mine!

Some Drill Instructors use this a your good night prayer brfore you hit the rack at night! (FULL METAL JACKET) If oyu haven;t seen that move I suggest you watch it, you poolees will see a lot of the Islacd on that move, just remember it was set in my day, things are different now, they say! ;)

Allen870922
03-26-07, 12:14 AM
"Sir,
|greeting of the day|, Recruit Shmukatelli requests permission to speak to (Senior) Drill Instructor |name| |rank|<rank> <name>!"</name></rank>

|rank| then |name|

Allen870922
03-26-07, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the tips and links everyone it is helping a lot and should help more in the future. But this recruit is off to use the head and then go to his rack, Goodnight [Name - Rank] lol. I think I got it so far but ya I still have to remember the 11 gen orders & also officer ranks

Never say "goodnight". Its "good evening".

YLDNDN6
03-26-07, 06:05 AM
And in learning military time, DO NOT condition yourself to say "O" anything...as in "OH six hundred" .....it is "ZERO", not "OH"....I only point this out because I had a little trouble with it, and we had to add ten minutes to our day a couple of times because it was "OH, time to thrash recruit Stone" time...ZERO, remember that!!! It so happens that only John Wayne was allowed to say "Oh" when saying the time...

Achped
03-26-07, 08:27 AM
Sir, this recruits first general order is to take charge of this post and all government property in view. <br />
<br />
Sir, this recruits second general order is to walk my post in a military manner, keeping...

PerXes
03-26-07, 09:08 AM
Well, you forgot the 3rd E-9.

You're going to want to memorize the numbers along with the rank insignias and names...E-1 through E-9, and O-1 through O-10.

There is plenty of knowledge you haven't put here...but seriously, don't worry about knowing it all before you go, you'll have it driven into your brain all the time, you'll know it.

Achped
03-26-07, 09:26 AM
Crap, Sgt Major of the Marine Corps....oops.

I don't want to learn boot camp before I go to boot camp, I just want to be prepared. Maybe have a leg up :)

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-26-07, 09:27 AM
Huh, all this time, and I just learned that there was a founder. I always thought that we were authorized by Congress, not founded by a man. Imagine that.

davblay
03-26-07, 10:39 AM
Huh, all this time, and I just learned that there was a founder. I always thought that we were authorized by Congress, not founded by a man. Imagine that.

bUT YOU GOTTA HAND IT TO achped, HE'S trying to learn it, just needs to let the DI'S teach him some of it, after all they would really feel useless if he learned it all before he gets to MY ISLAND, now wouldn't they? :devious:

semperfi170
03-26-07, 10:55 AM
I have at least 6 books on Marine Corps history including one from the Marine Corps Heritage Foundation, and not one of them credits Samuel Nicholas as the "founder"! The Continental Congress passed a resolution to raise 2 battalions of American Marines on 10 November 1775. Capt Nicholas was authorized to recruit Marines for service. So, I guess you could say that he was the first recruiter! Not even the "Guidebook For MARINES" I received in
April 68 lists Capt Nicholas as the founder.

Since there is a publication for DEP and poolees, I highly recommend that you use that for what you should have knowledge of prior to going to boot camp. As I said in a previous post, knowledge is good but the Drill Instructors will do their job and teach you; and you do your job of learning and applying the knowledge.

davblay
03-26-07, 11:09 AM
I have at least 6 books on Marine Corps history including one from the Marine Corps Heritage Foundation, and not one of them credits Samuel Nicholas as the "founder"! The Continental Congress passed a resolution to raise 2 battalions of American Marines on 10 November 1775. Capt Nicholas was authorized to recruit Marines for service. So, I guess you could say that he was the first recruiter!
OO-RAH, GUNNY!! :thumbup:

davblay
03-26-07, 11:15 AM
Crap, Sgt Major of the Marine Corps....oops.

I don't want to learn boot camp before I go to boot camp, I just want to be prepared. Maybe have a leg up :)
Then get your facts straight! Don't p**s the DI's off with a wrong answer! Pay attention to what they are teaching you, they know the facts! That's their job! I don't know how much you "KNOW" about Drill Instructors, but they are the most dedicated Marines you'll ever have the privilege of meeting, there will never be another NCO that will teach you more about the Marine Corps. THAT IS HIS JOB!

My best advise to you would be to keep your mouth shut, eyes and ears open, and learn from the pros that know when you get to MCRD! :evilgrin:

Achped
03-26-07, 12:12 PM
Understood sir.

I should have known out of that entire tirade post thing I'd have an error or two. I am just a poolee :( I don't even rate to be called a maggot yet.

tuna quesadilla
03-26-07, 04:46 PM
What they want you to say will depend on your Drill Instructors. Mine had us say "snap, sir"

That's what we say in Navy JROTC. "Eyeballs!" "SNAP SIR"

SnowPaint078
03-26-07, 06:37 PM
When we got drilled by DI's it was "click sir" but I guess it just depends on what DI is doin it, as for the "zero" thats a very good tip that I should prob get used to I usually say "Oh" and not "zero" and the last thing is goodevening over goodnight, Good evening just sounds weird to me.. Im sure it wont when I get to do 50 pushups every time I say it lol

Soon2BeVIP
03-26-07, 07:15 PM
I don't think you'd have much trouble with the good evening/good night part...because you say good night more like when your going to bed...good evening is more of a greeting. I don't think you'd ever accidently greet someone with good night

Allen870922
03-26-07, 09:32 PM
I don't think you'd have much trouble with the good evening/good night part...because you say good night more like when your going to bed...good evening is more of a greeting. I don't think you'd ever accidently greet someone with good night

You'll never say "good night" in boot.

Some other things to know when an SDI/DI says:
"zero" you respond with "freeze recruit freeze"
"ears" you respond with "open sir"
"look at me" you respond with "snap sir"
"2 road guards" platoon responds with "get out!". Those recruits will get out of formation and say "aye sir, aye recruits carry on recruits!" then the platoon responds with "aye recruits, kill".
When an SDI/DI is looking for a recruit they will yell out "Recruit ____". The entire platoon will stop what they are doing, come to attention and say "Recruit ____, report to Senior/Drill instructor rank name, as ordered recruit!" And then that recruit will respond with "aye sir, aye recruits carry on recruits" then the platoon will respond with "aye recruit, kill."

When walking behind an SDI/DI you say "by your leave, (proper greeting of the day) sir."

When an SDI/DI or any Marine is walking through a group of recruits(usually on a ladderwell or in the chow hall) someone should say "gang way". If its a civilian or another recruit trying to get through just say "make way".

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-26-07, 09:39 PM
We said good night to Chesty every night after we got in the rack and before we went to sleep.

Allen870922
03-26-07, 09:40 PM
We said good night to Chesty every night after we got in the rack and before we went to sleep.

oh, forgot about that one. Then again I only had 1 DI that had us do that.

PatriotGirl422
03-26-07, 09:51 PM
[quote]I have at least 6 books on Marine Corps history including one from the Marine Corps Heritage Foundation, and not one of them credits Samuel Nicholas as the "founder"! The Continental Congress passed a resolution to raise 2 battalions of American Marines on 10 November 1775. Capt Nicholas was authorized to recruit Marines for service. So, I guess you could say that he was the first recruiter! Not even the "Guidebook For MARINES" I received in
April 68 lists Capt Nicholas as the founder. [quote]

I thought Capt. Robert Mullan has been credited as being the first recruiter?

Allen870922
03-26-07, 10:15 PM
Very well

semperfi170
03-26-07, 11:01 PM
You'll never say "good night" in boot.

Some other things to know when an SDI/DI says:
"zero" you respond with "freeze recruit freeze"
"ears" you respond with "open sir"
"look at me" you respond with "snap sir"
"2 road guards" platoon responds with "get out!". Those recruits will get out of formation and say "aye sir, aye recruits carry on recruits!" then the platoon responds with "aye recruits, kill".
When an SDI/DI is looking for a recruit they will yell out "Recruit ____". The entire platoon will stop what they are doing, come to attention and say "Recruit ____, report to Senior/Drill instructor rank name, as ordered recruit!" And then that recruit will respond with "aye sir, aye recruits carry on recruits" then the platoon will respond with "aye recruit, kill."

When walking behind an SDI/DI you say "by your leave, (proper greeting of the day) sir."

When an SDI/DI or any Marine is walking through a group of recruits(usually on a ladderwell or in the chow hall) someone should say "gang way". If its a civilian or another recruit trying to get through just say "make way".

Some of what is passed on above may not be what your Drill Instructors want you to sound off with. Use your poolee information for what you should know/have knowledge of prior to arriving at boot camp.

AGAIN I REPEAT: Let the Drill Instructors do their job! Yours is to learn and apply what they teach.:evilgrin: :flag:

semperfi170
03-26-07, 11:04 PM
:marine:

YLDNDN6
03-27-07, 06:08 AM
And for God's sake, keep that sh*t eating grin off of your face...I mean it...do not, at any time, think of this post and start smiling...ever!!! Stop it!!!

PerXes
03-27-07, 07:01 AM
Yeah, put your teeth away.

SnowPaint078
03-27-07, 12:05 PM
One guy got disqualified for his teeth at MEPS, I didn't know teeth were such a problem these days... ;-)