PDA

View Full Version : Loving welcome home for 6 Marines after tour in Iraq

thedrifter
03-25-07, 06:56 AM
3/25/2007
Loving welcome home for 6 Marines after tour in Iraq
By: STEPHANIE K. WHALEN , swhalen@delcotimes.com

RIDLEY TOWNSHIP - There were no bands, fancy fanfares or parades stopping traffic when six Marines from Bridge Company Bravo, 6th Engineer Support Battalion returned home from Iraq Saturday at the Marine Corps Reserve Center in Folsom.
Gray skies and menacing raindrops threatened to spoil the homecoming celebration just as the blue van carrying the Marines pulled up outside the building.

None of that mattered to the families of Sgt. Justin O'Shea, Lance Cpls. Nick Bailey, William McCabe and Matthew McNamee and Cpl. Joseph Dewson.

They have been waiting for this day since the unit deployed to Tikrit, Iraq, seven months ago.

"I just want him home," said Beverly McCabe, of her son just before his arrival.

The Maryland resident couldn't contain her emotions when she saw the young McCabe for the first time in nearly a year Saturday, standing in the reserve center's parking lot.

She cried as he lifted her in a bear hug after rushing from the van that transported him from Philadelphia International Airport to Ridley Township.

The van was supposed to transport the troops to the center's gymnasium, after checking in the Marines' weapons and gear. But the vehicle never made it past the curb that lies just past the opening gate.

As the vehicle almost screeched to a halt, all six Marines nearly dropped their bags in the parking lot just to greet their loved ones waving American flags and "Welcome Home" banners.

"Coming home is the best feeling in the world," Sgt. O'Shea said, after greeting his mother, Barbara, father, Jack, brother, Matt, and twin sister, Kerri.

O'Shea said his unit had to fly over to California before finally exiting in Philadelphia, making the wait to see his family even longer. Overall, he said that it took about three days to get home.

His family had traveled from Lancaster and wanted to make sure he couldn't miss them in the reserve center parking lot, so they made an extra-large banner bearing his name that said, "We miss you."

His sister and father held the sign up high as the van pulled up Saturday, waving American flags as fast as they could. His mother was holding balloons, jumping up and down with anticipation.

Saturday, she didn't have to worry anymore.

"I just want to sit and stare at him," she said.

Teri Dewson of Delaware said she could finally breathe again.

Her son, Cpl. Dewson, was deployed on Mother's Day, his 21st birthday, she said.

"He told me he wanted to go to bull riding school and I thought he was crazy," said Dewson. "But if I had a choice of him going to Iraq or going to bull riding school, I would have preferred the school."

"We've had our ups and downs, but today has been comforting," said Fred Bailey of Harrington, Del., flanked by his younger son, Derek, daughters, Erin and Kristin, wife, Lori.

The last time they heard Lance Cpl. Nick Bailey's voice was about three months ago. Since then, his father said he has been able to keep in touch with him through instant messaging, but contact has been limited since then.

The unit his son's was attached to overseas reported its first casualty a few months after Bailey's deployment.

But being in the military was something he knew his son had always dreamed about.

"Ever since he was a little kid he wanted to be in the Air Force. He wanted to fly," Bailey said.

"Then he had a friend in the Marines who showed him what the Marines were about and that was it. He said, 'Dad, bring my birth certificate and diploma. I'm going to be a Marine.' And now, here we are today."

The young Bailey said he didn't have any grand plans after touching down on U.S. soil. His dad said he was looking forward to his sister's spaghetti.

Ellie

thedrifter
03-25-07, 06:58 AM
Reservists Return to Hugs and Tears
Family, Friends, and Fellow Marines Greeted the Reservists on Their Return
By Cathy Gandolfo

March 24, 2007 - The ravages of war are far from the minds of a half-dozen U.S. Marines. They're back with their families after arriving home late this afternoon.

It has been a joyful homecoming for 6 Marines who've been away for the last 10 months ... 7 of them doing some dangerous work in Iraq.

A crowd of family, friends, and fellow Marines greeted members of Bridge Company Bravo on their return to Folsom, Delaware County. They are engineers who were assigned to do construction work and the very dangerous job of clearing away roadside bombs. Finally this afternoon the moment they had waited for ... a glorious reunion with loved ones.

"I'm actually pretty thrilled about being home. I didn't know there was going to be this many people here. It's a wonderful surprise," said Lance Cpl. Matthew McNamee.

The 6 men are Marine reservists assigned to the Folsom facility ... the same company that saw 3 killed in Baghdad back in June of 2004. Thankfully this group came home safely into loving arms and lots of tears.

Sgt. Justin O'Shea told Action News, "Being away, it's tough at times ... but we dealt with it. It's the second tie I did it so it wasn't too bad this time. But coming home is probably the best feeling in the world."

Among the greeters was Congressman Joe Sestak, a retired admiral who spent 31 years in the Navy. He went through this type of homecoming 15 times, and it still brings tears to his eyes.

"It's one of the most emotional parts of ... you know, you've been away for a long time and you come back. There's nothing like it," said Sestak.

The Marines will have some time to readjust to being home before getting back to their former lives, and their once-a-month Marine status as a reservist.

Ellie