PDA

View Full Version : Sadly, sometimes war is necessary

thedrifter
02-22-03, 08:57 AM
02/22/2003
Sadly, sometimes war is necessary
DAILY NEWS STAFF
With antiwar demonstrations straddling the globe as far away as Russia and as close as Morehead City, it’s important to understand that many people who believe war may be necessary in pursuit of Iraqi disarmament, also oppose war in principle.

Although the two concepts seem mutually exclusive, they’re not. No sane adult is “in favor of”

war, least of all those whose business truly is war: the U.S. Marines.

Men baptized in battle on coral atolls in the Pacific, the frozen wastelands of Korea or the jungles of Vietnam all have something in common. They bear witness that war isn’t at all like the movies. The hero doesn’t always win. The flag isn’t always raised in picture book perfection. It’s not romantic, neat or clean.

In fact, just the opposite is true: It’s horrifying and messy and no one who goes to war remains unscathed or returns from it unchanged — least of all those who actually fight it.

It’s been said the currency of war is lost lives. That’s true. War robs the future, cheats young men and women of their potential and places no premium on innocence. It reduces life to survival of the fittest, the quickest and the luckiest. It’s not the least bit just, honorable or sporting.

But, despite its blackness and lack of redemption, war is lamentably necessary at times. Necessary because, no matter how much man wants the playing field to be level, the simple fact remains that evil men don’t play fair. They don’t work out their differences like gentlemen. Instead, they stock up on anthrax or ricin or the nasty little components for a dirty bomb.

That Saddam Hussein is evil has been established. The unresolved issue lingers, though: Is taking Saddam down worth the cost? How many will die if the world goes to war?

But if those questions prove worthy of examination, then so should those presented by the alternative viewpoint: What happens if Saddam continues undeterred along his present path? How many will die if the world does not wage war on Iraq?

History’s rife with compelling precedence on how much denial can cost. While the world closed its collective eyes, Adolf Hitler took the lives of tens of thousands of innocent Jews. The human price tag for halting Hitler’s dictatorial regime proved many times higher than earlier intervention would have. And Hitler wasn’t stopped by clever rhetoric or world resolutions.

It took a war to end the persecution of the Jews, a war to oust Hitler and his allies from the occupied areas of Europe and Africa, a war to end the threat of future aggression, a war to ensure the free world had a future.

War, in the case of Hitler, was indisputably necessary.

Those who condemn war have it right. War is a terrible thing, something to be avoided whenever possible. But not something to be avoided at all costs.

Despise war, but not the military men and women standing on the front lines. Pray war isn’t necessary. Paint signs and march. But if the leaders of this country choose to oppose Saddam, support those who go to the front to fight this battle.

Repay the military’s courage with loyalty.

Only from the perspective of history will the moral righteousness of this country’s actions be judged. And only if man survives as a race will there be anyone left on Earth to judge it.

© 2001 Jacksonville Daily News

Sempers,

Roger

faris4life
02-22-03, 03:28 PM
I hear you there... Was sucks but like you said sometimes it has to happen in order to have some sort of peace. War isn't kind it doesnt care who dies and who lives but one things for sure one way or another in the end the bad guy does get his. I pray daily that our troops make it home safe even though I know not everyone will still there's always hope. As far as Sadamm goes I hope the ****er gets his good cause he has had it comming for a long time now. For everyone who's got family or friends in that war I've been praying for you and it's truely sad that this once again had to happen keep your chins up and i'll do the same.

PropUSN
02-22-03, 06:01 PM
Someone once said..."the enemy is war itself".
To go to war, to not go to war. That is the question that has plagued humans for centuries.
If the United States had not dropped two atomic bombs on Japan back in 1945, how many men women and children would have died? If the Soviet Union had not gone into Berlin in 1944, how many would have died under Hitlers hand?
You can argue these questions until you are blue in the face and they will never truly be answered.
To go into Iraq and physically remove Saddam Hussein from his stranglehold on the nation is justifiable in my opinion.
To listen to France and some of the other countries that 'support' Saddams' regime seems ludicrous.
And the 'bleeding heart liberals' that yell in the streets of America about not fighting seems wrong.
Can't they see what Saddam is doing to his own people? Can't they see what he has done in the past?
His track record of deception and murder is so plain to see.
I do pray that we don't go to war against Iraq. But I hope that if we do, we do quickly and remove Saddam with great prejudice.
To leave the region without going into Iraq would be wrong. We are there, let's do the job right this time.
If we don't, the world will truly see what the outcome would be if Saddam is left in power. They will see that 9/11 was a walk in the park. They will see what the inspectors didn't see. Nuclear strikes and scud missile strikes on Isreal and other nations.
You have to look in between the lies of Saddam to see what he has. And it isn't good.
God Bless the USA.
Ooorah!

SHOOTER1
02-23-03, 12:03 AM
And Loose the Dogs of War, The Devil Dogs that is , Its a known fact, the U.S. economey is based on a war time system, check history, every ten years, we have a set to with someone, history catigorizes the U.S. as the Police Men of the world.

BigCat
02-23-03, 08:04 AM
War is no place for any man or woman. That being said, I must agree with you that war is a necessary evil. Even more so in this case. Nobody wants war nor do they wish it on anyone else. However those who choose to go to war with our great nation will feel the full power and might of our military. I pray daily for the safe return of our soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines. And for those who do not return to the safety of their loved ones I can only pray that they may rest in peace knowing that they defended this great nation from unspeakable evils.

God Bless our military....
God Bless the USA

mrbsox
02-23-03, 08:23 AM
... a time for all things under the Heavens;

... a time to killand a time to heal;
... a time to love, and a time to hate;
... a time to make war, and a time to make peace;

Paraphrased from Ecclesiastes 3; 1-8

Even the God whom we profess our Country's existance to, tells us that these things must happen in the course of life. And throughout the Bible, God used mankind to achieve his purpose.

God bless America :marine:

Terry