PDA

View Full Version : War - is it the correct term?

3077India
03-24-07, 03:07 PM
This may be a simple matter of semantics, but we hear the term WAR being thrown about to describe our current actions against terrorist activities. From a constitutional POV the United States hasn't been involved in a WAR since WWII, which was the last time Congress actually declared WAR. So if judged by a technicality, Korea was actually the 1st UN Peacekeeping mission, Vietnam was a Police Action, Persian Gulf (1991) was a UN Security Council endorsed action against Iraq, Afghanistan was a mission to get Osama and Iraq (2003), also called Persian Gulf 2 was a mission to oust Sadam. None of these actions by our nation can literally be called Wars, since Congress never exercised its constitutional right to declare war. Right?

Sure you're probably thinking, "but didn't Congress pass a resolution approving military action to remove Sadam and find his WMD?" Yes, they did, but that wasn't a declaration of war. Yet, WAR is being thrown about, by the media, the Administration, members of Congress and everyone I know. It would seem WAR is the only term we know to describe the current situation.

I know some consider it sacrilege to call it anything but WAR since so many of our Servicemen and women are risking their lives or have lost them. In fact one of my dad's friends said to me, "A war by any other name is still a war." While that statement seemed a bit corny to me, it would appear to be the sentiment of most people irregardless of its political or legalistic accuracy.

10thzodiac
03-24-07, 05:00 PM
It's not about WAR, Shia or Sunni, Democrat or Republican, it's about Haves and Have not. It's not about freedom, it's about OIL.

If you still think there weren't three guys who disappeared off the grassy knoll in Texas after Kennedy was assassinated, I still have the shovel !

bootlace15
03-24-07, 05:04 PM
Its so nice to agree to disagree

bootlace15 out

OOHRAHMOM05
03-24-07, 05:13 PM
Then they're going to have to rename those Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary and Service Medals...

10thzodiac
03-24-07, 05:30 PM
"WAR IS A RACKET"

[Snippit]

"Up to and including the Spanish-American War, we had a prize system, and soldiers and sailors fought for money. During the Civil War they were paid bonuses, in many instances, before they went into service. The government, or states, paid as high as $1,200 for an enlistment. In the Spanish-American War they gave prize money. When we captured any vessels, the soldiers all got their share – at least, they were supposed to. Then it was found that we could reduce the cost of wars by taking all the prize money and keeping it, but conscripting [drafting] the soldier anyway. Then soldiers couldn't bargain for their labor, Everyone else could bargain, but the soldier couldn't.

Napoleon once said,

"All men are enamored of decorations...they positively hunger for them."

So by developing the Napoleonic system – the medal business – the government learned it could get soldiers for less money, because the boys liked to be decorated. Until the Civil War there were no medals. Then the Congressional Medal of Honor was handed out. It made enlistments easier. After the Civil War no new medals were issued until the Spanish-American War." ~ by Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient: Major General Smedley D. Butler, USMC

garryh123
03-24-07, 05:40 PM
If it's about oil.....Why are gas prices so high? Why didn't we take over the oil fields in Kuwait?(sp)

10thzodiac
03-24-07, 05:58 PM
If it's about oil.....Why are gas prices so high? Why didn't we take over the oil fields in Kuwait?(sp)

Oil prices are high because it is so cheap to produce !

Huh ?

Every-time someone tries to extract oil from Canadian or Venezuelan sand tars or to gasify coal in i.e. Montana, the oil producers will lower the prices of gasoline to stop them.

Japan has only experienced a fraction of an increase in gasoline prices compared to our increases during the same time period. Americans are being screwed by their Government ! Another Marine web-site is owned by an oil man. ~ Go figure

skids
03-24-07, 08:42 PM
We are not getting screwed over by our government as much as we are by the people we protect. It's the oil companies here in the states that are causing the prices to rise. Why? Just because they can and that they know we will still pay the price for it.

marinegreen
03-24-07, 09:02 PM
Lets make the rich richer so they can make us all into there lil sheep,baaah ! baaaah ! baaaah ! Wake up and get the fuqing horse binders off, its all a lil controll game amongst the powers that be. Clip the puppet strings from your arms and legs and stand up and voice yourself to the crooked govt.

garryh123
03-24-07, 09:04 PM
No doubt! Don't let the libs gain control!

marinegreen
03-24-07, 09:08 PM
dont matter if its libs or cons,they are all sticking it in our arse's and not even whispering in our ears or the common curtiousy of a gulldamn reach around. Libs this,cons that,wake up, power protects power and all that matters is how well there pockets get lined and any loose change they cant carry they let there sheep have !!

3077India
03-24-07, 10:46 PM
It's not about WAR, Shia or Sunni, Democrat or Republican, it's about Haves and Have not. It's not about freedom, it's about OIL.

If you still think there weren't three guys who disappeared off the grassy knoll in Texas after Kennedy was assassinated, I still have the shovel !I'm not debating the true or perceived causes of our current involvement in Iraq. I was attempting (obviously a failed attempt) to stimulate discussion as to whether or not WAR is the proper term for the current situation. I guess such a discussion would be a bit TOO cerebral for some. :p

10thzodiac
03-25-07, 04:43 AM
You are right, it went right over my head http://webpages.charter.net/connectingzone/think/6.gif

I guess I don't get any points for genius

http://webpages.charter.net/connectingzone/misc/42.gif

DWG
03-25-07, 11:15 AM
It was a war for about a week. We won! http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy0034.gif
Then it became a state dept., civilian clusterfu(k! We lost!http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/mad/mad0071.gif
Once we had accomplished our mission (unseat sodom, er, saddam and his government) we should have handed it over to the un and blamed them for the ensuing mess we KNEW it would become! Unfortunately for us, the un hauled a$$ at the first round fired in Baghdad and left us holding the bag!:scared:

10thzodiac
03-25-07, 03:37 PM
“In a September 25 interview, a reporter from Sinclair Broadcasting
said to Rumsfeld, "Before the war in Iraq... you said they would
welcome us with open arms."

Rumsfeld responded with a denial:

Never said that.... Never did. You may remember it well, but you're
thinking of somebody else. You can't find anywhere me saying anything
like [that].... I never said anything like that because I never knew
what would happen and I knew I didn't know.”

“But on February 20, Rumsfeld was asked by PBS's Jim Lehrer: "Do you
expect the invasion, if it comes, to be welcomed by the majority of
the civilian population of Iraq?" And Rumsfeld responded: "There is no
question but that they would be welcomed. Go back to Afghanistan--the
people were in the streets playing music, cheering, flying kites, and
doing all the things that the Taliban and the Al Qaeda would not let
them do."

http://webpages.charter.net/connectingzone/agree/11.gif

FistFu68
03-25-07, 05:30 PM
:evilgrin: "WAR IS AN UGLY THING,BUT NOT THE UGLIEST OF THING'S.A MAN WHO HAS NOTHING FOR WHICH HE IS WILLING TO FIGHT,NOTHING HE CARE'S ABOUT MORE THAN HIS PERSONAL SAFETY,IS A MISEARABLE CREATURE WHO HAS NO CHOICE OF BEING FREE,UNLESS MADE AND KEPT SO BY THE EXERTION OF BETTER MEN THAN HIMSELF.":evilgrin: :iwo:

kato811
03-25-07, 05:38 PM
nope its a military operation. all of our politicans are afraid to be associated with a war. so they wont declare war

10thzodiac
03-25-07, 06:07 PM
WAR DIMS HOPE FOR PEACE

IRAQI HEAD SEEKS ARMS

http://webpages.charter.net/connectingzone/tools/44.gif

Sgt Leprechaun
03-25-07, 06:18 PM
"You may not be interested in war, but war is interested in you.."
Tolstoy.

10thzodiac
03-25-07, 06:54 PM
"To delight in WAR is a merit in the soldier, a dangerous quality in the captain, and a positive crime in the statesman." ~ George Santayana, 1863-1952, American Philosopher, Poet

bootlace15
03-25-07, 07:15 PM
Yes WAR is ugly,but you shoulda seen my old girlfriend

bootlace15 out

FistFu68
03-25-07, 07:43 PM
:evilgrin: (LMFAO) HOW WAS THAT ,CONFLICT ENDED;YOU 'NUKE HER AZZ?:evilgrin:

bootlace15
03-25-07, 08:22 PM
shucks no,I went to boot camp

bootlace15 out

3077India
03-25-07, 08:51 PM
nope its a military operation. all of our politicans are afraid to be associated with a war. so they wont declare warMy sentiments exactly. :marine:

10thzodiac
03-25-07, 10:00 PM
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by kato811
nope its a military operation. all of our politicans are afraid to be associated with a war. so they wont declare war
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

My sentiments exactly. :marine:

[Snippit]

"You know, when I campaigned here in 2000, I said, I want to be a war President." --George W. Bush, Des Moines, Iowa, Oct. 26, 2006

bootlace15
03-26-07, 05:34 AM
I reply to 10Th snipit. Hey George you are numb nuts!!!!!!!!!:banana: :yes: :no:

bootlace15 out

kato811
03-26-07, 03:49 PM
techinally he is not bootlace 15