PDA

View Full Version : The Globe and Newton

JChristin
02-22-03, 01:56 AM
For some unspeakable reason, whatever it may be, someone forgot to tell Sir Newton that the United State Marine Corp stole the Globe from the Almighty Creator on the seventh day while He was resting - and as far as I understand - we still ain't given it back. Therefore the following is crap:

Newton set 2060 for end of world
By Jonathan Petre, Religion Correspondent
(Filed: 22/02/2003)

Sir Isaac Newton, Britain's greatest scientist, predicted the date of the end of the world - and it is only 57 years away.

His theories about Armageddon have been unearthed by academics from little-known handwritten manuscripts in a library in Jerusalem.

The thousands of pages show Newton's attempts to decode the Bible, which he believed contained God's secret laws for the universe.

Newton, who was also a theologian and alchemist, predicted that the Second Coming of Christ would follow plagues and war and would precede a 1,000-year reign by the saints on earth - of which he would be one.

The most definitive date he set for the apocalypse, which he scribbled on a scrap of paper, was 2060.

Newton's fascination with the end of the world, which has been researched by a Canadian academic, Stephen Snobelen, is to be explored in a documentary, Newton: The Dark Heretic, on BBC2 next Saturday.

"What has been coming out over the past 10 years is what an apocalyptic thinker Newton was," Malcolm Neaum, the producer, said.

"He spent something like 50 years and wrote 4,500 pages trying to predict when the end of the world was coming. But until now it was not known that he ever wrote down a final figure. He was very reluctant to do so."

Thousands of Newton's papers, which had lain in a trunk in the house of the Earl of Portsmouth for 250 years, were sold by Sotheby's in the late 1930s.

John Maynard Keynes, the economist, bought many of the texts on alchemy and theology. But much of the material went to an eccentric collector, Abraham Yahuda, and was stored in the Hebrew National Library. It was among these documents that the date was found.

© Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2003. Terms & Conditions of reading.
Commercial information. Privacy Policy.

sendinghome
02-22-03, 03:23 PM
If the date is accurate, we will find out the USMC role is getting there first....

wrbones
02-22-03, 03:26 PM
Most people don't know it, but Newton wanted to be known more for his religious writings than for his mathmatics! He was actualy a well known theologian in his time!

JChristin
02-22-03, 07:46 PM
Hey Bones,

You are correct. I enjoyed reading this article, actually. However, every famous star reader from Nostradomius, Jeane Dixon, and all the others have "predicted" the timing of the end of the world. The Bible states that no one knows, even the Angels. Therefore, I find it interesting how humans arrive at the timing of this event. I know a few DI's who I would believe before anyone else.

Hope everyone on the east coast affected by the snow and now flooding will not feel like the "end" has arrived. This time will pass and summer is coming.

semper fi
jchristin

virwar
02-22-03, 11:24 PM
Jesus himself said he didn't know the exact time for The End, but only the Father knows. Jesus did say there would be "many signs" using the analogy of a woman giving birth. Just thought I'd throw that into the conversation. I do find these discoveries of ancient documents very interesting, whether it be the Dead Sea Scrolls or Newton. Anybody heard if the writings of Thomas have been translated yet? Semper Fi Dave

JChristin
02-22-03, 11:39 PM
Under Islam:

Mohammed is said to have retired to a cave and will reawaken and return at the end of time.

Hope I wrote that in the spirit of what I was taught in College for Middle East History back in the early 90's. Don't wish to offend anyone from that faith.

semper fi
jchristin

Rob Parry
02-23-03, 07:12 AM
For some unspeakable reason, whatever it may be, someone forgot to tell Sir Newton that the United State Marine Corp stole the Globe from the Almighty Creator on the seventh day while He was resting - and as far as I understand - we still ain't given it back. Therefore the following is crap:

Christin do you want this in pick-up and Bud language or the older more formal style of the refugee island we have become? Oh well here goes;
The Royal Marines were granted the Globe as part of their cap badge in 1827 by King George IV, in place of individual battle honours, as they had fought in every corner of the globe and accreted a prodigious amount of honours, too many for a single flag. The Globe is surrounded by a Laurel wreath, granted for gallantry at the battle of Belle Isle 1761. The Royal Crest, (Crowned Lion) surmounts the word Gibraltar, commemorating the capture of 'The Rock' in 1704. The 'Foul Anchor', the badge of the Lord High Admiral was first worn by Marines in 1747. the Corps Motto, 'Per Mare Per Terram', 'By Sea, By Land' first used in 1775.

God isn't a Royal Marine, He just thinks he is.:) :)

JChristin
02-23-03, 01:58 PM
Rob,

Our distinguished Royal Gentleman from merry old England. The United States Marines didn't get the globe by grant, we took it. It's ours. We ain't giving it back. Now God may want to be a Royal Marine, that may be due to the fact the the United States Marines pulled a fast one on Him and He is too embrassed. And if it had belonged to the King of England to grant, someone wasn't awake when the United States Marines took it. Wonder who? But this I know, He watches over all of us. But the globe is ours, we ain't given it back.

Hope to be in England this summer. Will bring my globe to show ya!

semper fi
jchristin

thedrifter
02-23-03, 02:51 PM
In 1868, Brigadier General Commandant Jacob Zeilin convened a board of officers to decide upon a cap ornament to replace the bugle horn that had been adopted in 1859. Starting with a Silver Globe of the Western Hemisphere "surmounted by a Silver Eagle . . . with wings extended," the familiar Eagle, Globe and Anchor Emblem emereged and was approved by Secretary of the Navy Gildeon Welles 30 November 1868. In May 1875, new uniform regulations made this the sole Emblem of the United States Marine Corps.

Sempers,

Roger

Rob Parry
02-24-03, 09:20 AM
:) There you go guys, so we had been bimbling around since 1664, ruling the world, meeting interesting people and shooting them, when suddenly some upstart colonial decides "Hey, look at them, they've got a nice badge. How about we check out the copyright, see if it's patented, put it to the lawyers, Ozark, y'all stop hurling when I mention Lawyers, and then we use the Globe as OUR new badge.":marine:

Funny how things appear from someone else's perspective isn't it!:yes:

JChristin
02-24-03, 05:24 PM
Hummm...

been pondering this issue for awhile. Seems to me, the King of England never had possession of the globe in the first place. It belonged to the Almighty Creator of the Universe. Therefore, the king never "possessed" the rights to deed, lend, lease, loan, rent, grant license rights thereof, sell, or otherwise convey or transfer to another any portion of the bundle of rights that customarily accompany possession of real property.

The Unites States Marine Corps took the globe for personal use, as described earlier in this august format. Therefore, "First in Might is First in Right," applies. We took it, and we ain't given it back.

After all that think'in I need to go find my rack and get some shut-eye.

Good save the Queen and Charles too.

semper fi
jchristin

wrbones
02-24-03, 08:41 PM
LOL @ Rob. I'll bet yer ol' lady thinks yer cute, don't she! :D

greensideout
02-24-03, 10:02 PM
Simple question Rob,

Who else kicked the Brits a**?

We earned it.

First place wears the badge!

Rob Parry
02-25-03, 08:30 AM
That's it, it's official, I'm cancelling my planning application for a new culture centre in Montana. The thought of trying, in vain, to improve relations with a bunch of no neck rednecks makes me see a rather nice shade of lilac, or is it pink?:)

Anybody seen my copy of Pride and Prejudice, I'm sure I threw it over into the corner with my comforter. :confused: I shall consult with the necessary authorities, and may invoke rule 1) and maybe even rule 2) of Parry's Jungle Rules.
Rule 1) states 'No Pooftahs!
Rule 2) states 'There are no rules!
Greensideout, we only lent America to you on a very short lease, negotiated by our top legal team, Hedgit, Cuttit, and Run; they may be small but they're mean. We declined the return of the colony when our management team discovered what had been done with such a glorious inheritance.
I remain Sirs your obedient servant, and untrustworthy conspiritor, Hannibal Lecter.

:devious: