PDA

View Full Version : Airman to compete in Miss USA pageant

thedrifter
03-23-07, 08:04 PM
Airman to compete in Miss USA pageant
By Seamus O’Connor - Staff writer

http://www.militarytimes.com/xml/offduty/health/military_missusa_kellygeorge_070322/af_kgeorge_redo_070321_287.jpg

Tech. Sgt. Kim Spinner / Air Force
Kelly George, an Air Force second lieutenant and deputy chief of public affairs at Little Rock AFB, Ark., competes Monday in Hollywood, Calif., in the preliminary rounds of the Miss USA contest. She'll take part in the Miss USA contest, airing live on NBC.

Air Force 2nd Lt. Kelly George has grabbed national attention for her work on the runway — but she’s not a pilot.

George, 24, this year’s Miss Arkansas USA, is the first active-duty military member to compete in the Miss USA pageant. The competition finals are Friday night, and will be broadcast on NBC starting at 8 p.m. Central.

“I don’t think that you’d be able to pick me out of the crowd of women and say, ‘That one’s in the Air Force,’” George said. Still, she said, there are “51 gorgeous women here, so you have to think of what makes them different. So the fact that I am an airman and that I’m an airman first sparks people’s attention.”

In her day job, George is deputy chief of public affairs for the 314th Airlift Wing at Little Rock Air Force Base, Ark. But since taking the state crown — er, tiara — last October, she’s been juggling Air Force and pageant duties.

“It’s a very delicate balance,” she said. “A lot of it is just good time management. ... A lot of the requirements to prepare for Miss USA already coincide with my job, like being physically fit. I mean, the Air Force pays me to be in shape.”

The biggest trial for George so far has been learning to function with constant chaperoning, though some of the perks, like red-carpet treatment, aren’t too bad.

If she wins the Miss USA title, George will go on to represent America in the Miss Universe pageant and be on permissive TDY for the year while performing her Miss USA duties.

And though George said everyone from contestants to pageant organizers has taken an interest in her Air Force career, “I’m also here to compete for Miss USA, and I really want that job, so I want to show them that I am in the Air Force, yes, but I can also be glamorous and I can be Miss USA.”

Fans can vote for George to be Miss Photogenic at

http://www.nbc.com/Miss_USA_2007/

On the Web

Official Kelly George site

www.kellygeorge.info/

Should Airman Kelly George compete in the Miss USA pageant?

Ellie

1stRad2671
03-23-07, 08:57 PM
Didn't make the cuts.

But my three favorites did- Nevada, Rhode Island (smoking hot) and my homestate of Virginia.

ZSKI
03-23-07, 09:16 PM
Marine Corp Enlistment Oath: Cammies... High and Tight, and Airforce Women OOORRRAHHHH!!!! Seriously though, why does the airforce have the hottest girls.