PDA

View Full Version : New Tattoo Policy

millar123
03-20-07, 11:10 PM
http://www.usmc.mil/maradmins/maradmin2000.nsf/37f49138fc3d9c00852569b9000af6b7/ec7256307ac62075852572a3007c12fc?OpenDocument

This is where you will find the new Marine Corps Tattoo Policy i suggest all you poolees and wannabe poolees to read this.

Integrity57
03-20-07, 11:25 PM
I'm a little confused, is that for only current Active Duty Marines or is that for recruits also? Because the way I'm thinking is that it is says I can't enlist because I have two visible quarter sleeves. Am I right?

millar123
03-20-07, 11:34 PM
I'm a little confused, is that for only current Active Duty Marines or is that for recruits also? Because the way I'm thinking is that it is says I can't enlist because I have two visible quarter sleeves. Am I right?

Are you already enlisted

Integrity57
03-20-07, 11:36 PM
No

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-20-07, 11:39 PM
If it can be seen in PT gear, you best enlist by April 1.

millar123
03-20-07, 11:44 PM
Pretty much that is how it is going to go.

Integrity57
03-20-07, 11:54 PM
Well I'm screwed then, b/c I promised my folks that I'd finish this school I'm attending before I enlisted, and the course doesn't end until June 21st.

millar123
03-20-07, 11:58 PM
I do not know what to say man the Marine Corps is getting a lot more rough on enlisting, than what it used to be.

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-21-07, 12:02 AM
Why does it matter when you sign the papers? You can still DEP for a year before you ship.

Integrity57
03-21-07, 12:04 AM
But if the new Reg takes effect next month wouldn't that void the whole thing?

millar123
03-21-07, 12:13 AM
You can enlist now but set your ship date whenever, it is very simple.

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-21-07, 12:14 AM
Supposing they don't tell you no based on the coming regulation, you would have already enlisted, so you would be "grandfathered" in just as Marines that have these tattoos now. You would not be able to continue to get more tattoos that are against the new policy, but would be OK with the ones you already have.

millar123
03-21-07, 12:16 AM
Exactly, i am getting a half sleeve on the 30th i will still be subject to grandfather clause.

Integrity57
03-21-07, 12:19 AM
But could my tattoos keep me from getting promoted?

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-21-07, 12:56 AM
Possibly from Sgt. to SSgt. But there is no promise that you'll stay in that long, most of us do not. And, as long as you aren't getting more tattoos it shouldn't get you a nonrec--- so you would advance to LCpl by time in service/time in grade. Cpl and Sgt by cutting score.

millar123
03-21-07, 01:17 AM
Having a tattoo now according to the current tattoo policie that if you have a tattoo visible in service charlies then your chance of a future billet is slim. Billet as in Recruiting duty, MSG, or Drill Instructor.

MikeRWolf
03-26-07, 02:38 PM
Hey i need some help. I enlisted around June of 06, i ship out June 18 2007, recently i got a tattoo on the inside of my right wrist. It's 2 inches down from my hand, and about 2 and a half inches long. Will this cause me a huge problem?

rvillac2
03-26-07, 02:40 PM
Fill out your profile and upload a picture of the tattoo.

Why are poolees getting tattoos anyway? You guys haven't even done anything with your life, yet?

MikeRWolf
03-26-07, 02:53 PM
http://i7.tinypic.com/4ghazuo.jpg

thedrifter
03-26-07, 03:18 PM
What I have been told the grandfather law is Only for the Marines who are still in..not poolee's...

Your recruiter would be able to tell You...

Ellie

MikeRWolf
03-26-07, 03:21 PM
I really hope so, i called him and he said it shouldnt be a big problem but hed call me back and let me know. I don't know what the hell i would do if they tell me i can't leave now, its my life long dream to become a Marine.

rvillac2
03-26-07, 03:29 PM
If I were your Junior DI, I would have a lot of fun with you and your little sissy tattoo there. "Love is Love"?

Prepare to visit the pit and quarterdeck every day for that thing.

Integrity57
03-26-07, 03:30 PM
I talked to my recruiter about it and he said that he didnt want to waste either of our time by sending me to MEPs to see what they would say about my tattoos, and I don't even think he knew about the new regulation regarding tattoos.

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-26-07, 03:32 PM
That tattoo was a huge mistake. Even if they do let you ship, your chances of getting a B billet are slim. And has been said, the DIs will torture for that one.

Best of luck to you.

MikeRWolf
03-26-07, 03:42 PM
If i was to get another black band over the Love is Love, would it still be that bad?

rvillac2
03-26-07, 03:47 PM
You're just digging the whole deeper young man.
You're going to be asked what it all means. And when you answer, remember "Don't ask, Don't Tell" is the law. LOL.

Marine84
03-26-07, 03:51 PM
what a doofus!

Soon2BeVIP
03-26-07, 06:12 PM
I kind of like the tattoo, but it's definitely not one I'd get if I was going into the Marines. I showed my friend, PFC Carley, who just got back from boot and he said that he thinks it would be a lot of trouble getting through processing since it's so far down and he said if you do make it through...you will "literally get sh** for it everyday...he will always have new nicknames"...Sorry....

Soon2BeVIP
03-26-07, 06:14 PM
And I think we should get stricter on our profiles...if some people don't want to put their last name I somewhat understand...but it doesn't take that long to fill out...I even put a pic and it took me 5 minutes top. Grrrr....

millar123
03-27-07, 01:32 AM
That is the weirdest tattoo I have ever seen in my life. And my opinion, I hope you do not get in. Because you will hate your entire Marine Corps life because of that tattoo.

YLDNDN6
03-27-07, 07:57 AM
Recruit Love, report to my classroom and push 'til we are all ankle deep in Pacific Ocean foam!!! I don't know what that cost you, but you haven't even begun to pay for it yet!!! Good luck with that and let us know how it works out for you.

PatriotGirl422
03-28-07, 09:48 AM
But seriously, I don't even understand that tatoo? What does it mean? And what is the target for?

Marine84
03-28-07, 11:50 AM
But seriously, I don't even understand that tatoo? What does it mean? And what is the target for?

It's got to be some stupid "guy" thing. HAHAHAHAHAHA!

poolecarollo
04-04-07, 10:00 AM
i got a quick question i enlisted in the DEP in august but jsut recently got a tatoo on my upper arm its a tribal just goes around my arm, its on my upper arm it wont be visible in PT gear will i be...

Chris Sharon
04-04-07, 01:05 PM
Yes your tatoo can keep you from getting promoted. I had a hard charging Marine who a beautiful naked gal tatooted on his righ arm that went from wrist to elbow. Yes the tatoo was not appreciated by all and yes it did prevent the Marine from getting promoted.

Remember, it may look great to you and others but if it does not represent the Marine Corps in an honorable manner then it is something that may prevent. I'm not saying it's right.

Look at it this way, if the look gives the appearence of a gang banger or a less than honorable then don't get the tat.

:usmc:

poolecarollo
04-04-07, 01:38 PM
its jsut an arm band like barbwire i guess its not gang related but will they not let me into the marine corps for this?

Luke86
04-04-07, 03:48 PM
When I enlisted into the DEP I was specifically told that I was not allowed to get any tattoos by the Marines at the MEPS. The local recruiters constantly remind all of the poolees about this as well. Not only that, but every time I had to go to the MEPS (I had to get a medical waiver so it took quite a few trips) I was asked by the doctor if I had any new tattoos. This question was also asked during my pre-ship brief earlier this week. It was clear to me from the very beginning that this was something I was not supposed to do. And now that I think about it, when I was first talking to recruiters in Virginia 4 years ago they told me the same thing, so it's not a new policy. Were you poolees that just got tattoos not told this?

Integrity57
04-04-07, 04:07 PM
I started getting tattooed before I ever considered joining the Marine Corps and had no idea that tattoos could keep you from getting promoted or even joining the Corps. But I was told by the "BEST Marine Crops Recruiter in Oklahoma" that he has "gotten tattoo waivers for poolees who had solid ink from their wrists to their shoulders" and that having tattoos doesn't have any effect on whether you get promoted or not. And that promotions are based upon the Marine's performance rather than anything else. Granted he told me that he got these poolees waivers BEFORE the new Regs went into affect. So I dont know what to think any more, should I keep working out and losing weight, trying to work up to the IST and wait until I get to MEPs and the folks there tell me "No" and my waiver gets denied, if it does? Or should I not even bother and start looking to another branch of the service that might let me enlist? I still don't have a solid answer to these questions and I have my asked my recruiter a couple of times about this and he hasn't given me a definite answer. So yeah....I don't know what to think.

skoozi
04-04-07, 04:10 PM
if I had any new tattoos. This question was also asked during my pre-ship brief earlier this week. And now that I think about it, when I was first talking to recruiters in Virginia 4 years ago they told me the same thing, so it's not a new policy. Were you poolees that just got tattoos not told this?

Once you enlist, you are discouraged from getting any new tattoos. All tattoos have to be documented. Getting a new tattoo while in the DEP means it has to be examined and approved and more paperwork must be done.

The old policy was unclear, and interpreted differently by some people. The new policy is more straight-forward and specifically does not allow large and visibile tattoos.

skoozi
04-04-07, 04:17 PM
I started getting tattooed before I ever considered joining the Marine Corps and had no idea that tattoos could keep you from getting promoted or even joining the Corps. But I was told by the "BEST Marine Crops Recruiter in Oklahoma" that he has "gotten tattoo waivers for poolees who had solid ink from their wrists to their shoulders" and that having tattoos doesn't have any effect on whether you get promoted or not. And that promotions are based upon the Marine's performance rather than anything else. Granted he told me that he got these poolees waivers BEFORE the new Regs went into affect. So I dont know what to think any more, should I keep working out and losing weight, trying to work up to the IST and wait until I get to MEPs and the folks there tell me "No" and my waiver gets denied, if it does? Or should I not even bother and start looking to another branch of the service that might let me enlist? I still don't have a solid answer to these questions and I have my asked my recruiter a couple of times about this and he hasn't given me a definite answer. So yeah....I don't know what to think.

I don't think anybody here is going to tell you to look at other branches. If you want to join The Corps, then you should be doing everything to make sure that happens. Hound your recruiter until he gives you a cut and dry answer, or ask another recruiter at your RSS.

And of course you should keep working out and losing weight. There are no benefits in stopping this..

Integrity57
04-04-07, 04:27 PM
Oh yeah there's no way I'm going to stop working out, I've actually come to love the tired feeling I get after a good work out lol. Just knowing that I'm making progress every day I go to the gym and run or lift or whatever is really motivating personally. My main problem is that I don't know if I'll ever get that "cut and dry answer," b/c the times that I've been able to get in touch with him (there was a month-and-a half in between the 1st and 2nd time I talked to him), he hasn't really given me any substantial info. The last time I talked to him he said that he didn't want to waste either of our time and money by sending me to MEPs with me not being ready to ship out. So you can kinda see why this would be a little disheartening.
:confused:

YLDNDN6
04-04-07, 05:20 PM
Integrity57: Are you now in DEP??? Have you signed any paperwork yet??? If not, then you need to ask your recruiter for definite answers, as you ARE motivated to become a Marine, and you ARE concerned that your tats may preclude your being able to enlist. Let him/her know that you want the answer so you can stop wasting his time and yours if you can't get in with the tats that you have. Nobody here can get you a tat waiver or give you anything but encouragement. Your recruiter is the only person in your life who can resolve this for you. PUSH him/her for the answer. A good recruiter can always find/manufacture the time to help out a potential contract. Be persistent, and let us know how it turns out.

Jimbob-Female
04-04-07, 05:46 PM
Hello

Integrity57
04-04-07, 07:09 PM
Integrity57: Are you now in DEP??? Have you signed any paperwork yet??? If not, then you need to ask your recruiter for definite answers, as you ARE motivated to become a Marine, and you ARE concerned that your tats may preclude your being able to enlist. Let him/her know that you want the answer so you can stop wasting his time and yours if you can't get in with the tats that you have. Nobody here can get you a tat waiver or give you anything but encouragement. Your recruiter is the only person in your life who can resolve this for you. PUSH him/her for the answer. A good recruiter can always find/manufacture the time to help out a potential contract. Be persistent, and let us know how it turns out.

Yes Sir, I totally intend to hound him until I get some sort of solid answer, but what I was trying to say with those earlier posts is that I wish I could get a yes or no without going thru all the paperwork and MEPs and everything else just to be told "No," ya' know? But if that's what I have to do than I'll do it. I really do appreciate all the encouragement Marines give the Pool(ee)s and Wannabes, like myself, on these forums. So I will do my best to make you and every other Marine on this site proud, and thank you Sir.

ztrea440
04-12-07, 02:09 PM
I have a tattoo the takes up 3/4th's of my inner forearm. Its a cross and says only god can judge me. I was wondering if i would still be able to enlist?

Marine84
04-12-07, 03:04 PM
Chances are.............not with this new order out. Anything can be waived though, I'm sure. Ask your Recruiter.