PDA

View Full Version : Standing at Attention v. Parade Rest

hawks
03-20-07, 11:54 AM
So I know the basic of Attention and Parade Rest.
If you are standing at attention you cannot move etc.

But when you are at Parade Rest is it just a different position and you can not move, or can you look around at all. Say a Drill Instructor has us at Parade Rest and is moving around, can we look at him or do we just stare straight still?

Marine84
03-20-07, 12:00 PM
So I know the basic of Attention and Parade Rest.
If you are standing at attention you cannot move etc.

But when you are at Parade Rest is it just a different position and you can not move, or can you look around at all. Say a Drill Instructor has us at Parade Rest and is moving around, can we look at him or do we just stare straight still?

From what I remember ..................NO! The only time your eyeballs can roam is when he says "at ease" or "as you were". Or unless he tells you to FOCUS on what he's doing.

And.................when standing at attention, DO NOT lock your legs - you'll hit the deck like a fly.

rvillac2
03-20-07, 12:02 PM
Parade Rest is a modified position of attention. You do not move anything. Stare straight ahead and your body is locked. You're not even supposed to sound off from Parade Rest. You come to Attention, sound off, and then return to Parade Rest.

You can only move when given the command to Rest or Stand At Ease.

Sgt. V

semperfi170
03-20-07, 12:22 PM
From what I remember ..................NO! The only time your eyeballs can roam is when he says "at ease" or "as you were". Or unless he tells you to FOCUS on what he's doing.

And.................when standing at attention, DO NOT lock your legs - you'll hit the deck like a fly.

Per the Drill Manual the only thing you do at Parade Rest is move back to the position of Attention. So if those eyeballs are caught moving you have broken the position. Basically, Parade Rest is modified (slightly more comfortable over long periods of time) than Attention.

When At Ease, you can move everything except your right foot. When the command Rest is given, your right foot must still remain in place, you can move everything except the right foot and also talk in a low conversational tone.:evilgrin:

hawks
03-20-07, 01:26 PM
Ah I see now with the At Ease. I'm doubting that is given much at boot camp if ever?

Marine84
03-20-07, 01:35 PM
Every now and then they'll throw it in to see if you're paying attention

millar123
03-20-07, 05:31 PM
no not really, i just got out of boot last august and they maybe used at ease or rest maybe once or twice and that was just because they were teaching it. That was it,