PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Discharged

irizavrima
03-19-07, 09:53 PM
Hello Marines...Today one of my long time buddies from the DEP got discharged from MCRD after a mere 3 days. He had a DUI on his record and kept it to himself. Not a soul knew until he spoke up...

Phantom Blooper
03-19-07, 10:14 PM
My question to you is this, if recruit training is such a life altering experience then why cant my friend be allowed to serve?

DEP,MEP & the recruiters give one plenty of time to come clean.Simple...by your statement..YOUR FRIEND...LIED!!!!:mad:

What the fallout will be and can he get back in I don't know that is a recruiter question.

But the fact of the matter is regardless what our involvement as a country is in war or peace there are plenty of young pups wanting to bark our tune,march to our drummer and do it OUR way!:evilgrin: Your friend was given that oppurtunity waaaaaaaaaaay before he went to the depot.:usmc:TOUGH LOVE!

sgt tony
03-19-07, 10:58 PM
It is just the thing if he lied then we don't need him/her. I want to know that who ever is with me in a pinch will be true to his word.

Carry On

irizavrima
03-19-07, 11:53 PM
honesty isnt always a common virtue. people are not all raised by the same parents. some people have bad eating habits...others were not raised properly. If honesty is a quality that is enforced in recruit training, I believe that he has a chance to turn around. Lets admit it...we all lie, cheat, and steal whether we want to admit it or not. We are all dishonest sometimes and to different degrees. Recruit training is designed to instill principles and values that all Marines share, something that he has yet to learn (as well as me.) Does anybody believe that he deserves a second chance/

davblay
03-20-07, 01:04 AM
honesty isnt always a common virtue. people are not all raised by the same parents. some people have bad eating habits...others were not raised properly. If honesty is a quality that is enforced in recruit training, I believe that he has a chance to turn around. Lets admit it...we all lie, cheat, and steal whether we want to admit it or not. We are all dishonest sometimes and to different degrees. Recruit training is designed to instill principles and values that all Marines share, something that he has yet to learn (as well as me.) Does anybody believe that he deserves a second chance/

The problem is that he lied! He failed to disclose this to his recruiter, MEPS and everyone else, but especially to himself! It's not the lie, it's just that he failed to disclose the facts where and when he had the chance! But what puzzles me is this, how did they find out? Did he tell them at PI? Maybe he wanted to go home, not saying he did, but, same question, how did PI find out? Did they run a ttraffic ticket check on him or what? It just could have been that he saw a way out and took it, then tried to cover his a** by telling all that they did him wrong! The Corps gave him every opportunity to make it square, he chose not to until he shipped, and that cost my beloved Corps a ton of money to get him to PI just to send him home for lying on his application and paperwork, then not telling the recruiter!:mad:

I know it seems minute, but we only want honest people that we can count on dury a crunch. Yes we all lie and bulls**t, but we all know the results are not contractual! We are all human! My advice is for him to talk to his recruiter and do exactly what he says! After all it made him look bad to his commander as well! :devious:

Remember man, Not all people are really meant to wear the title, ya know! If anyone could get the title, then there wouldn't be a Marine Corps!---ooorah :thumbdown

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-20-07, 01:10 AM
Honesty may not be a common virtue as you put it, but it is demanded in the Marine Corps and he was told multiple times that he needed to disclose everything before he went. The Marine Corps doesn't need him, there are plenty of honest people that want to join. He was already on a short rope because he was unable to complete high school, which is easier than anything he would have been expected to do as a recruit or a Marine.

You can make arguments for him all you want, but he does not deserve another chance. He was kicked out of boot camp for being a liar, and he got what he deserved. One day, you will understand.

As for is he can try again, I would guess he can. Probably have to wait a year or so. Have him get in touch with a recruiter and ask. Don't expect them to jump at the idea though. They won't like it any more than we do.

irizavrima
03-20-07, 01:10 AM
Oops. I forgot to mention this...You Marines may or may not change your mind about him. The only reason they know about his DUI is because he mentioned it at MCRD San Diego. He was probably scared and started talking about his previous DUI. Chances are they wouldn't have ever figured it out, but he came forward. Maybe he was scared, maybe he wanted to get the record straight for once. I'm not the judge of it, however I would like to know if he will be eligible to reenlist based on the statements I have presented to the best of your knowledge.

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-20-07, 01:15 AM
They would have figured it out, and he would have gotten into more trouble. That is something way too major to get away with. People get caught for traffic tickets they didn't disclose.

Coming clean when you've had 3 million chances to do so earlier doesn't make you honest.

davblay
03-20-07, 01:19 AM
They would have figured it out, and he would have gotten into more trouble. That is something way too major to get away with. People get caught for traffic tickets they didn't disclose.

Coming clean when you've had 3 million chances to do so earlier doesn't make you honest.

ooorah:evilgrin:

davblay
03-20-07, 01:32 AM
Oops. I forgot to mention this...You Marines may or may not change your mind about him. The only reason they know about his DUI is because he mentioned it at MCRD San Diego. He was probably scared and started talking about his previous DUI. Chances are they wouldn't have ever figured it out, but he came forward. Maybe he was scared, maybe he wanted to get the record straight for once. I'm not the judge of it, however I would like to know if he will be eligible to reenlist based on the statements I have presented to the best of your knowledge.

Again if he'd come clean, it may have only taken a Recruiting Commanders Waiver, But there is no waiver for out right lying for that long, that one lie turns into HABITUAL after all the chances he had! MCRD just hasn't got the time to correct those kind of things, you have to be GOOD TO GO when you step on those yellow foot prints! His Recruiter signed those same papers and he feels bad right now too. So don't blame the Recruiter, ok?:evilgrin:

davblay
03-20-07, 01:34 AM
Send him to the ARMY, the'll take anyone that can walk upright! ;)

Phantom Blooper
03-20-07, 05:51 AM

These are all mute points! Orphans raised in that dog eat dog enviroment have honesty. One of the most prized Leadership Traits that a Marine can display is Integrity!

We all lie,steal and cheat.....not! We may have as small children and if the discipline and values were put in place then by whomever was the authority figure you would know that this behavior is wrong! If not.... you will be paddling the same boat as your good buddy!

irizavrima,while at the recruit depot and the receiving barracks before pickup, the personell in the offices behind the scenes are going over your paperwork with a fine tooth comb.They may not catch you right away..however when your platoon is marching the grinder for graduation..you will be doing the seabag drag to legal hold!:evilgrin:

The only reason they know about his DUI is because he mentioned it at MCRD San Diego.

Wrong answer....they would have found out.

As stated by me earlier he had numerous chances to come clean. Bottom line he lied.....And he's a big boy now. Man up and face the music! He created the lyrics now let him sing the tune and dance the solo.

Does he deserve a second chance? Not my call...you were told twice that he would have to see a recruiter. But would I give him a second chance? NO!

The reason being he had more than enough time to clear the books, get a waiver,wait and go in with a clean slate!

Prior Planning Prevents P*ss Poor Performance!:evilgrin:

GySgtRet
03-20-07, 06:07 AM
Are you sure it was just a DUI? Wasn't there another charge drinking under age? Or maybe I am barking up the wrong tree here you are 18 or at least your profile states that you are. Was your old...

YLDNDN6
03-20-07, 06:24 AM
I recall at least two "Moment of Truth" sessions before shipping out. If you haven't had one yet, you will. Your recruiter gets very serious with you, tells you that if there is anything at all he needs to know, now is the time to tell him, etc...This allows the recruiter an opportunity to find out ANYTHING that he Corps may need to know about you before you ship, and to deal with things that may get you sent home once you get to MCRD. Apparently, your friend did let his opportunities for honesty pass. Then and there is where you begin to define your character, not at the depot. I recall a couple of kids being sent home when I was in boot, for the exact same thing. I honestly believe that he will end up with a less than favorable reenlistment code.

killerinstinct
03-20-07, 07:58 AM

it's the moment of truth is what they call it they put presure on you where it makes you feel, even if you did disclose everything, to confess to jerking off on your g/f's face and feel guilty about it. Many Marines have DUI's too many isn't good but the best thing to do there is just keep your mouth shut. I do not know what criteria gets you removed in that situation but i remember feeling like i should have disclosed my ingrown toenail as a serious medical condition not disclosed.

Marine84
03-20-07, 08:11 AM
There you have it..............I wouldnt give him another shot at it either - it's a waste of time AND money. This will be his first lesson in life - if you mess up, there will be consequences.

millar123
03-20-07, 05:54 PM
I think have the Marines in the Marine Corps lied about something in there enlistment. In all the other branches to a lot of people do it. We had maybe six or seven recruits get kicked out because they lied. But the only reason they got kicked out was because they confessed to it. I ended up talking to one of them when he was packing his bags, he said "I only told them, because I hate it here" that was why so most of the people who lie are just trying to get out.

yellowwing
03-20-07, 06:57 PM
Character. You mat not be the fastest or strongest, but our Drill Instructors test who you really are. Do you have the stuff to uphold our stringent values of Honor Courage and Commitment.

They are simple straightforward values.