PDA

View Full Version : Marine hoping to bring honor to America

thedrifter
03-19-07, 02:21 PM
Marine hoping to bring honor to America
Harding grad says he's ready for task
By BRENDA J. DONEGAN
The Marion Star

MARION - Harding High School class of 2006 graduate Pfc. Greg Ryle has no regrets about enlisting in the Marines right after graduation.

"My decision had to do with what's going on over there knowing how they needed to help the country and needed people over there to do it," Ryle said, speaking on the phone this week with The Marion Star. "Every able body should serve. I thought it was my duty to serve."

Word of what is actually happening in Iraq is not relayed to the troops too often, Ryle noted, adding most of their information comes from television and reading reports in newspapers.

He did know, he said, that the fourth anniversary of the war was soon approaching. Tuesday marks the fourth anniversary of the U.S.-led invasion, which began on March 20, 2003.

Ryle was one of 10 students in the class of 2006 at Harding High School that made the decision to serve their country prior to graduation. He reported
to Parris Island, S.C., for basic training and is currently in classes at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland north of Baltimore.

Donald Herth, public affairs officer with the 367th Public Affairs Detachment in Columbus, said recruiting has continued on its usual roller coaster ride of up and down since the all volunteer Army went into effect.

"The make-up of the average recruit has changed," Herth said. "More and more of our recruits are upper and upper middle class. A lot of young people are stepping up today to support this country."

Herth said recruiters on all fronts have been pleased with the quality of recruits and their sincere desire to serve.

"The generation we have right now is as great as the greatest generation," Herth said.

Ryle's parents, Les and Jeanith, had mixed emotions about their son's decision to enlist in the military.

"'Are you crazy? What are you doing?' I asked him when he told us he was enlisting," his mother said. "We have mixed feelings, we're proud, honored, sad, confused but on the other hand, I felt Greg needed some direction. I'm very, very proud of him."

Ryle said in three weeks, he will report to Camp LeJeune, N.C., where he will be attached to a Light Armor Recovery Unit, a reconnaissance unit.

"The commandant called for 66,000 Marines to go to combat," Ryle said. "Word has it my unit may be deployed there in March 2008. I'm excited about it. I was scared before I went to boot camp but now I feel confident and comfortable with the task or tasks I'm called on to do."

His mother has a sense of pride but also some motherly concern for the dangers he might face if deployed to Iraq.

"He's been through some rigorous training," she said. "Now he knows what he can and can't do and can be confident and strong and be able to make confident decisions and not questioning what he can and can not do. Knowing he may be sent to Iraq is not what I want to hear but I guess the way you get through this is faith in God, and I'm a believer."

Another note of pride is being in public and receiving smiles, handshakes and words of appreciation for serving his country, Ryle said.

"It gives me a lot of pride," he said. "I go out and it honors me how much people support us. A lot of people 60-70 years old come up and shake my hand and thank me for my service. With their support, I hope to bring honor to America."

Ellie