PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Marine remembered at service

thedrifter
03-19-07, 11:30 AM
Oregon Marine remembered at service

Published: March 19, 2007

The Associated Press

ST. HELENS — Lance Cpl. Nathanial Windsor waited until he finished basic training before telling his father he had joined the Marines.

But Robert Windsor of Gladstone already knew by that point. He recalled his son showing up at his front door, his shoulder-length hair replaced by a crew cut.

"I told him I already knew, then showed him my 'I'm a Marine dad' bumper sticker," Robert Windsor told the more than 200 people who attended his son's funeral at the Columbia Funeral Home in St. Helens.

"I wish I could have taken that bullet for you, son," Windsor said Sunday. "My son is a hero."

Windsor died March 11 in Iraq's Anbar province. A sniper shot him in the neck, according to family and military reports.

Windsor was remembered as a young man who loved to play video games and dreamed of becoming a film producer. He graduated from Newport High School in 2005. Four months later, one day after his 19th birthday, he enlisted for the primary purpose of saving enough money to attend film school.

Three weeks ago, he phoned Audrey Nichka, 42, of Glendora, Calif., whose son, Blake Howey, was killed last month after his convoy was struck by a roadside bomb.

Windsor promised to visit the grieving mother when he returned from Iraq.

"I can't believe Nathan is gone, too," she said tearfully, motioning toward Windsor's flag-draped casket. "I can't believe they're both gone."

Windsor and Howey both were assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force at Twentynine Palms, Calif. Both were deployed to Iraq on Jan. 24. And both died at age 20.

Windsor was the 91st member of the military from Oregon or Southwest Washington to die in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to The Oregonian newspaper.

Ellie