PDA

View Full Version : Serving with now famous men.

cball
03-19-07, 11:30 AM
Parris is. May 1954 platoon 258 I served with a fellow recruit Robert Anthony Lutz from Switzerland,after getting out of PI he went to air school became a pilot and flew attack fighters till 1965.Later he worked at GM and became vice president of development and chairman of GM North America,he worked at Ford as an executive an initiated the development of the Explorer.Later went to Chyrsler and helped design the Dodge Viper...Cherry point 1955 I served with F Lee Bailey ,he was a fighter pilot and our legal officer..Any of you all serve with any one that became famous or successful ?

FistFu68
03-19-07, 12:04 PM
:evilgrin: MY PLT.SGT.KARL G.TAYLOR SR.(CMOH)I968 IN 'NAM, IST.LT.CARL MUNDY,NAM68;FORMER COMMANDANT OF THE USMC.MY CO.CAPT.BILL DABNEY,IN 'NAM;HE WAS AND STILL IS MARRIED TOO CHESTY PULLERS DAUGHTER,GUNNERY SGT.CARLOS HATHCOCK,QUANTICO. CAPT.RIPLEY,HAZED ME AT CAMP GEIGER;BEFORE HE BLEW THE BRIDGE AT DONG HA!:evilgrin: :iwo:

JinxJr
03-19-07, 12:40 PM
Coming out of the 11th Marine Regiment CP, Pvt. Dipstick (me) not paying attention ran smack into the Regimental SgtMaj who promptly picked me up by the scruff, shook me vigorously and pointed out to me what happens to dopes who ruin the SgtMaj's spit-shined boots. Said SgtMaj later became the SgtMaj of the Marine Corps Leland Crawford. I thought he was gonna chew my face off. He was a big guy who looked like he was carved out of stone (at least to a Pvt who had just wet his pants LOL)

8th&I Marine
03-19-07, 01:51 PM
My battalion comander at 8th& I in 1989 was then Col now General Pace. Spent a few hours in his office observing a Court Martial for 2 Marines accused of beating up a few gay guys.

Cantrell:flag:

cball
03-19-07, 03:20 PM
You know serving with F L Baily deceased and Robert Lutz both millionaires really made me feel like I hadn't accomplished much in my life.Then my wife of almost 50 years reminded me that we still have our health,three grown children,grandkids,home paid for and a decent retirement.I put things back into prospective and feel pretty thankful.

GySgtRet
03-19-07, 08:52 PM
Was my Commanding Officer (a Major then) on recruiting duty at Buffalo New York. 1980 -1983. We bothe got to recruiting duty pretty close together, we both got promted before we left. He is one outstanding Marine. SgtMaj Crawford was on a command visit to recruiting stations even as a SSgt he would make you shiver, the man had very chseled features and hard as nails. He retired me at Daly Hall which was the enlisted club at Quantico at the time. The clubs at Quantio had closed the officer and SNCO clubs to place all Marines at a buidling which is now the clubs of Quantico. I still liked the idea of having my own club and not have it in one building.

capmarine
03-20-07, 10:26 PM
didnt serve with him but sgt maj mcmichael was 3 weeks behind me in bootcamp.

davblay
03-20-07, 11:02 PM
Served in the same outfit, MWSG-17, WERS-17 DaNang, with then SSgt R Lee Ermey! ooorah!:evilgrin: