PDA

View Full Version : John Wayne can openers

davblay
03-19-07, 12:54 AM
DO any of you old salts know where I can get my hands on one of those can openers? :D

Phantom Blooper
03-19-07, 05:13 AM
Send me a snail mail address in my PM and I'll send you one. :evilgrin:

DWG
03-19-07, 06:30 AM
If you are talking about the P-38, almost any camping store, Army-Navy store or gun show has them.

3BadgeMarine
03-19-07, 06:52 AM
:thumbup: Now thats a blast from the past! did a stint with the USMC on a small Island (Mindoro) in the Philipines way back when the world was a saner place,the can spanner was then known as the 'John Wayne handy dandy'can opener.Aye jr.

yellowwing
03-19-07, 07:09 AM
Indeed, a very clever piece of metal. Very hard on the thumbs.

jinelson
03-19-07, 07:37 AM
I got mine on my key chain and it still works as good as it did in 1968. Darn thing stays sharp forever.

Jim

DWG
03-19-07, 07:59 AM
I got mine on my key chain and it still works as good as it did in 1968. Darn thing stays sharp forever.

Jim

A$$hole rent a cop at the local courthouse confiscated mine because it had a blade on it!!! About got arrested over it, finally told 'em "keep the dam thing, I'll spend another 25 cents and buy a new one." :mad: I never even had TSA say anything about it on airplanes!
Can you imagine the damage I could have caused in the courthouse had I run amok with a 1/4 inch blade?:scared:

adolphbell
03-19-07, 08:30 AM
You can get a new p-38 (John Wayne) at camping stores, but they don't seem to be as sturdy as the old c-rats ones. I also have a couple from 1967.

davblay
03-19-07, 09:29 AM

Thanks, but I didn't know I could still get them at surplus stores and such. :sick:

montana
03-19-07, 09:40 AM
have one on each of my keychains....and in my camping gear...they never fail

Phantom Blooper
03-19-07, 10:18 AM
They are even in K-Mart & Wal-Mart in the Sporting Goods/Camping section...overpriced and not worth a ****! :evilgrin:

Phantom Blooper
03-19-07, 05:57 PM

David,going out in the mail in the A.M....don't worry about the $.

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall :evilgrin:

FistFu68
03-19-07, 06:09 PM
:evilgrin: YEP THEY WORK GREAT,ON AZZ-HOLES FOREHEAD'S ALSO;TEND TO LEAVE A CUT THAT HAS TO BE STAPPLED-NOT STICHED!:evilgrin: :iwo:

slowrider
03-19-07, 06:17 PM
I remember having contest when I was on mess duty with them John Wayns. They would go to store room and break out a #10 can,about the size of a big Coffee can and you would sit down with another guy and see who could open it the fastest.Winner would get out of evening mess duty for the night.Needless to say I had alot of sore thumbs only won one time.