PDA

View Full Version : My experience in Washington yesterday (war protest/counter protest)

PatriotGirl422
03-18-07, 04:11 PM
After hearing lots of news about the anti-war protest taking place in Washington on March 17, 2007, I decided that I had to go and be a part of the counter-protest that would be occuring. Unfortunately, I didn't get to go early because the roads were really snowy and icy in my neighborhood, so I didn't get there until the early afternoon. By then, most of the action had died down. However, I was very pleased to see thousands of veterans (the majority of whom were Marines), active duty military personel, and other patriots who came out to voice their opinions and protect the war memorials. Everyone was in good spirits, and I got the chance to talk to many former Marines. The thing that angered me was that all the news coverage was COMPLETELY one-sided. All they talked about was the protesters, and if they did even mention the huge counter-protest, it was only to say that a Marine cussed out a woman or ripped up their "support peace" sign or something stupid like that.
However, the counter-protest was a great success. No one can really agree on the number of people who turned out, but everyone agrees that it was much more than they had anticipated. On the other hand, the protesters were counting on 100,000 to show up, and I hear that they only ended up with 5,000-10,000 people.

All in all, it was a good experience, and I was glad to have been a part of it. If any of you Marines attended, let me know what your impressions of the event were.

sgt tony
03-18-07, 07:41 PM
I wish I could have been there. Yes the media is one sided and it all on the other side as usual.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-18-07, 07:44 PM
PG, welcome to the way the world works, sad to say. The media is not on our side, never will be. Something we all have to learn, eventually.

Wyoming
03-18-07, 08:31 PM
After hearing lots of news about the anti-war protest taking place in Washington on March 17, 2007, I decided that I had to go and be a part of the counter-protest that would be occuring. Unfortunately, I didn't get to go early because the roads were really snowy and icy in my neighborhood, so I didn't get there until the early afternoon. By then, most of the action had died down. However, I was very pleased to see thousands of veterans (the majority of whom were Marines), active duty military personel, and other patriots who came out to voice their opinions and protect the war memorials. Everyone was in good spirits, and I got the chance to talk to many former Marines. The thing that angered me was that all the news coverage was COMPLETELY one-sided. All they talked about was the protesters, and if they did even mention the huge counter-protest, it was only to say that a Marine cussed out a woman or ripped up their "support peace" sign or something stupid like that.
However, the counter-protest was a great success. No one can really agree on the number of people who turned out, but everyone agrees that it was much more than they had anticipated. On the other hand, the protesters were counting on 100,000 to show up, and I hear that they only ended up with 5,000-10,000 people.

All in all, it was a good experience, and I was glad to have been a part of it. If any of you Marines attended, let me know what your impressions of the event were.

Thanks PG422:thumbup:

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-18-07, 08:46 PM
Wish I could have been there. I've made it to a few of them, and am always amazed at the people that show up. They seem to be the professional protest types, and the counter protest is made up of great people. Usually as many or more on the counter protest side and that part never gets reported.