PDA

View Full Version : Marines Return From Africa

thedrifter
03-18-07, 08:48 AM
Marines Return From Africa
Tisha Lanier
News42 WIAT
Sunday, March 18, 2007

Seven months ago, Marine reservists from around the country, including more than a hundred from Bessemer, kissed their loved ones goodbye, and set out for Djibouti, Africa.

Djibouti borders Somalia and Ethiopia, and is the center of U.S. operations in the "Horn of Africa."

More than 1,800 troops have been based in Camp Lemonier since 2002, when the Combined Joint Task Force (Horn of Africa) was formed.

"The Marines' mission was to deter, detect, and defend against terrorist activity in order to provide a stable platform at Camp Lemonier," Maj. John Kerwood explained. "The point is to eliminate the conditions terrorists need to operate."

Back in Bessemer, families did their best to live life as usual. But on February 6, Karen Guthrie went into labor, and baby Zoe came into the world in a very unusual way.

"It was rough, really very scary," Guthrie said. "[My husband] used his time off and got to call while she was being delivered. So he sat on the phone the whole time while I was delivering!"

Maj. Kerwood was fortunate enough to be at his wife's side when his son was born last February. But Saturday, 13-month-old John William didn't recognize Daddy right away.

Kerwood hated missing his baby's first steps, but his efforts overseas were all driven by a father's love.

"I'm doing this, of course, to avoid fighting in that area as my son john-William probably will not have to go over there one day."

Saturday's homecoming couldn't have been happier, but the joy of reunion will soon dissolve into the harsh reality every military family must face.

The countdown has already begun, as many of these Marines prepare to deploy to Iraq in May.

Ellie