PDA

View Full Version : On base traffic violations

LoCapitano
03-17-07, 11:59 PM
I wanted to know what happens when you get traffic tickets on base, All i know right now is that i have to go to Court on the 17th of April...

But as for an interesting story, Heres what happened...

I was driving around trying to clear my head and decided to find the beach on lejeune, I'm stationed in New River and have no idea how to get around in lejeune... So i got my self lost, trying to find my way the hell out of there I didnt notice the reduce speed sign that dropped the speed limit down from 45 to 35...

One of the PMO's sees me speeding, pulls me over, and gives me this, Oh so Amazing Ticket...

ZSKI
03-18-07, 11:39 AM
Nothing is worse Then Airforce SP's i was going 35 in a 30 and those bastards gave me a ticket.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-18-07, 11:52 AM
What kind of ticket is it? 1408 or 1805? If it's just an Armed Forces ticket, it will give you base points, but won't go against your regular driving record. If it's an 1805 (with an envelope, etc etc) it's a 'money' ticket. THAT will go on your driving record.

Don't sweat the 1408, just show up, act contrite, and go from there. It won't affect your insurance, either.

yellowwing
03-18-07, 12:26 PM
con·trite
adj.
1. Feeling regret and sorrow for one's sins or offenses; penitent.
2. Arising from or expressing contrition: contrite words.

Good word. I had to look it up. :nerd:

LoCapitano
03-18-07, 12:34 PM
Its the armed forces ticket, He said that it would count for base points...

I'm just glad it doesnt effect my insurance... Its high enough as it is...

Marine84
03-18-07, 02:29 PM
con·trite
adj.

Good word. I had to look it up. :nerd:

ROTFLMAO!

You know like......................I'm sorry I probably was speeding, I'm not from this base, was checking things out, didn't notice, will pay better attention to detail next time I drive on this base.....................

The only time I ever had trouble with tickets was Iwakuni but they were off base (them dang "no parking" signs).

crate78
03-18-07, 03:11 PM
I just gotta post the following. I wrote it, along with other humorous anecdotes from the Corp.

Speeding Ticket

Guess I must have led a charmed life in the Corps. I never did get into any serious trouble. Not that I didn’t deserve it on occasion, it just seemed I always lucked out into a happy ending.

One time I recall, as a Buck Sergeant, I was going 35 mph in a 30 mph speed zone with my own car on the base at MCAS Cherry Point. A car appeared behind me, and then pulled up alongside. The driver, a 1st Sgt., yelled across at me to follow him out to the main gate. He then accelerated and pulled into the lane in front of me. Upon arriving at the gate, the 1st Sgt. had an MP write a citation to me for going 35 in a 30 mph zone. The 1st Sgt. signed the ticket. I was to appear in station traffic court some two weeks later.

One evening between receiving the ticket and my court date, I was eating dinner at a rather nice restaurant some distance from the base. A gentleman, a number of years older than I, appeared at my table and inquired as to whether he might share my table as there were no other empty tables available. I readily agreed. The gentleman seated himself and during introductions I learned he was a Lt. Col. James. (Not his real name, for diplomacy’s sake). We hit it off well, and in spite of our differences in rank and age engaged in some enjoyable, meaningful, and lively conversation while we enjoyed our meals. I have no idea if this chance meeting and conversation had any influence on the events to come.

Several days later I appeared in traffic court at the station Provost Marshall’s office, along with the 1st Sgt. who had signed my speeding ticket. To my astonishment, I found that the Lt. Col. James with whom I had enjoyed dinner and conversation was the station Provost Marshall, now conducting traffic court! When it was my turn to appear, not a flicker of recognition passed between us. He merely gave me a stern but somewhat tongue-in-cheek admonishment including, “Dammit, Sergeant, you should know better than to speed on the base! We expect Privates and 2nd Lieutenants to be screwed up, but a Sergeant should know better.”

He then addressed the 1st Sgt. who had signed my ticket, “First Sergeant, it has not escaped me that if the Sergeant here was going five miles per hour over the speed limit, in order for you to pull up behind him, then pull up alongside and order him to follow you to the main gate, and then pull in front of him, you yourself would have had to go some ten miles per hour over the limit at some point.” As a ten mph infraction over the speed limit is somewhat more grievous than a five, Col. James then ordered the 1st Sgt.’s car barred from the base for two weeks.

The 1st Sgt. was not happy, even though rationale should have told him his predicament was self-inflicted. Calling upon all of the gods ever known to man he swore revenge and retribution, “Sometime, somewhere our paths will cross again.” Col. James advised him that he had not as yet put the two weeks banishment in writing, and if the 1st Sgt. did not compose himself, a 4 was just as easily written as a 2.

Fast forward several years during which I did a tour in the Far East, was promoted to Staff Sergeant along the way, returned to the States and became the first Marine to graduate from a newly formed AQ”B” school at NAS, Memphis. The day before my PCS orders from Memphis to Cherry Point became effective, the Marine School Detachment, of which I was of late a member, received a new Company Sergeant Major. Yup! Same 1st Sergeant, now a Sgt. Major. It was that close.

crate

FistFu68
03-18-07, 04:42 PM
:evilgrin: DON'T GO GETTIN (CONTRITE)ON ME NOW,WING;YOU OLD WAR-DOG!KEEP PUTTING YOU'R PEDDLE TO THE METAL.:D :iwo:

yellowwing
03-18-07, 05:15 PM
Yes, Fist, "contrite" definately would only apply to our Marine Corps rank structure. :evilgrin:

"Ours is not the bended knee"! :iwo:

Phantom Blooper
03-18-07, 05:26 PM
con·trite
adj.

Say three Hail Marys and tell us how you feel in the morning!:beer:

Zulu 36
03-18-07, 06:48 PM
LoCapitano,

When I was MPing in the mid-1970's at CamPen, they were hell-on-wheels over speeding violations in particular. Rank did not matter.

As the base traffic judge was a JAG major, all field grade officers cited to appear in traffic court could opt to appear instead before the base chief of staff (a full bull). After the first few opted for the CoS, none ever did again.

The major was much more even-handed in his punishments, with officers getting the same as enlisted violators (everything else being equal, such as violation severity and prior offenses). The CoS just flat banned speeding field grades from driving on base for a month or more.

Sooo, being contrite would be the best approach, especially since you admitted the MP got you righteous. If the judge allows, explain your circumstances like you did to us and maybe he'll cut you a huss. Oh yeah, make sure you're squared away to the max. Looking your best is always good policy when groveling before a military judge. :marine:

Sgt Leprechaun
03-18-07, 07:11 PM
Contrite....and the great unwashed say Marines are stupid..LOL.

That is a great story about the good Major.

I learned how the system worked because I had a platoon full of speed demons when I was a Plt Sgt in 2nd FSSG in 99-00. It got to the point where the base PM knew me on sight! He also knew I was an ex-cop in the civilian world, and those who were 'contrite' rec'vd the appropriate punishments....those who were not.....got to use "A. T." for awhile.

"Alternate Transportation", i.e., a bicycle. :)

FistFu68
03-18-07, 08:41 PM
:evilgrin: HELL,I GOT A TICKET ON FT.BELVOIR;GOING UNDER THE SPEED LIMIT!THE PROVOST MARSHALL, WHO'S DAUGHTER I TREATED VERY GOOD IN HIGH SCHOOL,WE WERE CLASSMATE'S;AMONG OTHER THING'S!(LOL)THOSE CHERRY-BOMB-GLASS PACK'S ON THAT '70 HEMI-CUDA,GAVE THEM A EARLY REVILEE;AT 0330!!!(LOL)BRINGING HOME THE FULL BIRD'S DAUGHTER,SAFELY;OF COARSE!!! SPEED-ON BROTHER, HELL;AIN'T HALF-FULL YET?:D :iwo:

10thzodiac
03-19-07, 12:11 PM
In Okinawa in 1964 I went up to Hansen for ECCM school and the motor transport pogue they sent to pick us up to bring us back to Sukeran (now Foster) was an idiot.

We were in the back of a duce-an a half holding on for dear life, horns blasting, weaving in and out of traffic until the Army MP's started chasing us with sirens glaring. I remember the private who was driving arguing with the Army MP's that he had two corporals in the back who are his witnesses http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/11.gif

I was by the Battery office when the Captain got the privates ticket sent to him. He said, God Damn him, that private (blank) again ! He crumpled up the ticket and threw it in the s-hit can.

Once, right after flunking the IG, the same Captain above called the motor pool and this same private answered the phone, "The cool tool from the pool." The Captain asked him, "Do you know who you are talking to?" The private said, "no." The Captain then told him, "You are talking to Captain (blank)!" The private then asked the Captain, "Do you know who you are talking to?" The Captain said, "no." The private said, "Good" , and hung up the phone !

We had army 173rd AB open gate liberty on that base. After that private was put on permanent restriction, I seen him the same day humping out the gate to the Ville smiling at me.

FistFu68
03-19-07, 12:22 PM
:evilgrin: (LMFAO)SURE THAT WASN'T MY TWIN BRO?:evilgrin: LIBERTY WAS MY WORST ENEMY~THAT'S WHY I HAD VELCRO,ON MY CHEVRON'S(LOL):evilgrin:

10thzodiac
03-19-07, 12:45 PM
:evilgrin: (LMFAO)SURE THAT WASN'T MY TWIN BRO?:evilgrin: LIBERTY WAS MY WORST ENEMY~THAT'S WHY I HAD VELCRO,ON MY CHEVRON'S(LOL):evilgrin:

I was thinking about you when I was telling that sea-story. I swear it's the truth as I know it !

Oki was were corporals and sergeants had Velcro on their stripes. What was a shame allot of the guys just got through shipping over before getting busted; if I seen one get busted I seen a dozen in two back to back tours.

Twice on the Rock I got into it with other corporals while I was duty NCO, once a full fledged brawl, I got a black eye and a broken rib, and he wound up p-issing blood. That corporal had friends in high places, his former S-4 chief was the Battalion XO now and we both got Battalion office hours. I beat the rap with the Battalion CO [Lt.Col] and he got busted, his Major gave me a look that could kill. My Battery Commander [1st Lt] gave me a high-five smile.

The other Corporal there was no fight, he just countermanded my lawful order and got busted and put on mess duty. He was well liked and made E-4 back before he rotated back to the land of the big PX. I had to be careful for awhile after that, his sergeants were after me. I had to make bed check until it blew over, the girls in the Ville really missed me.

ssgtt32
03-19-07, 02:09 PM
Once, I got stopped in front of the Old Exchange on Camp Lejeune, for 27 in a 25! I was a Sgt at the time, the prick gave me a ticket, eventually beat! There is nothing worse than a PFC with a badge and a gun........nuff said

Maurice

Zulu 36
03-19-07, 02:52 PM
The first part of my Marine Corps career was as a Motor T type, not an MP. Truck driving was my main job in Vietnam and I made several trips per week between Bien Hoa and Long Binh.

The route between was well posted with VC who took pot shots at any USMC vehicles they could as our A-4s were spanking them pretty bad. Having had my truck nailed in the bed a few times and watching a green tracer zip across the hood of my six-by, I did not drive slow or stop for stop signs. VN vets may also recall a dearth of speed limit signs in the Ville anyway.

That route was also patrolled by Army MPs. I was frequently chased by them and I would not stop until I got inside the gate of whatever base I was headed for. My duece-and-a-half could outrun any of their jeeps if not heavily loaded. :nerd:

The first time I got stopped, they wrote me a pile of skids including speeding (55 in a tactical vehicle, max speed allowed 35), and not having a license to drive a duece. They didn't care that USMC licenses saying "Up to and including 5-ton multi-fuel" included 2-1/2 ton M-35 series trucks. Luckily, that first time I had an A-driver who DID have M-35 specified on his license. So he drove while we were aboard Long Binh, then we played Chinese Fire Drill just outside the gate and I drove back to Bien Hoa (fast).

I reported back to my 1stSgt with my tickets. His first words, "You've got to be sh*tting me!" No, 1stSgt, sorry to say. His next words were honey to my ears. "Those dickhead dogface MPs are fu*kin' idiots." :cool:

We went to see our LtCol, who essentially, though more politely, said the same things (except for the "You've got to be sh*tting me" part, in which he exactly parroted the 1stSgt).

My punishment? Abolutely none. I was told to do what I had to do to keep from being a casualty, protect my cargo and vehicle, and any passengers. And the 1stSgt would handle any further tickets.

Yes, I got more. Many more. I was a marked man along that stretch of Hwy 1 and got stopped once a week on average. I always ensured my A-driver was licensed for M-35s, but other than that, I changed nothing in my driving style while off base. I was a perfect driver when aboard bases - never once got a paper bullet aboard a base (a record held to this very day). :angel:

The Army PMO was really upset that they kept getting my tickets back with the simple word, "Noted" in the Action Taken block. He called my CO and got an earful about what kind of dickheads he had and that perhaps he should train them better in the differences between Army regs and Marine regs. It must have worked as I wasn't bothered for my last couple of months in country even though I zipped past MP jeeps on more than one occasion.

I had a really good 1stSgt. He was former Force Recon, so he had a good grip on the realities of a combat zone. The CO and XO were no slouches either. Obviously the bosses really didn't care about those tickets as I ended up making meritorious corporal.

echo3oscar1833
03-19-07, 04:20 PM
I got a defective equipment ticket three weeks before I got out for a busted windsheild. It was spidered due to some dickhead Sgt. who decided he would come flying off of the tank trail in his POV and hit my winshield with a bunch of rocks. Needless to say it spidered and I chased that SOB down to Courthouse Bay, and give him a ass chewing. Well we got into it and me being a Lance Corporal he decided he didnt care that he broke it. He was a instructor at the Engienner School there in Courthouse Bay on Lejeune. well I was next door at 2nd Assault Amphibian Bn. I told him my Battalion was deployed and I was one of the few Marines out of like 20 that were the only ones there and that there were quite a few empty rooms in the Barraks that we could settle this in. Needless to say he got huffy and left. Well back to the ticket I had been driving like that for about a month always comeing in the back gate there on Lejeune and the same MP Corporal was there every morining. Well one moring coming in that same Corporal made me pull over and gave me a ticket. I camly explained to him that I was getting out in three weeks, and he went ahead and gave me the ticket and told me to tell them at PMO what my situation was. Well I went down to PMO and told them what happened and asked them what would happen if I ignored the ticket and didnt get my winsheild fixed. The Sgt. there told me that I would losing my driving privliages on Base for one year. I said cool and left. Well I got out before I had to go to court to prove I fixed it. They sent me a letter saying I had been revoked of driving privliges for one year. I called them and said well Im out know I'll see ya guys in a few years if I ever come back to Lejeune for a Reunion, and told them I would be driving lol. The Sgt that was on the phone laughed and told me that was clever, and as long as I have the winsheild fixed I would be good to go. I told him I fixed it the day I got out after recieving my DD-214, he laughed some more and wished me luck in my furure life in the civilian world.

:marine:

FistFu68
03-19-07, 08:17 PM
:evilgrin: YEP-THAT MAMA -SAHN-HAD ME RIG,MY OWN BASKET-FUC-:evilgrin:

echo3oscar1833
03-19-07, 08:29 PM
Once, I got stopped in front of the Old Exchange on Camp Lejeune, for 27 in a 25! I was a Sgt at the time, the prick gave me a ticket, eventually beat! There is nothing worse than a PFC with a badge and a gun........nuff said

Maurice

What about a Lance Corporal lol. hey just messin with ya Staff Sergeant. Corporals are worse they have a badge, gun, and a newly sewn on blood stripe, and NCO im going to fu#$ you power lol.

PS Im only refering to MP Corporals, guys. I like the Corrections guys, always wished I had went that way instead. I became a chaser and for like two months straight thats all I did, made alot of good friends with the Correctional Officer Marines down at the Brig. The biggest difference in the Corrctional Marines vs the MP's is the Correctional Marines only had attitudes with the prisoners as part of there job. MP's have an atttitude for the rest of there life, and they are annoying. When I was at Lejuene they used to get Marines on the dumbest things one of my buddies got a ticket for 2miles over in a 35mph zone what a joke. Go fight some real crime. By the way did you guys here they are getting rid of the Camp Lejuene Brig.

ssgtt32
03-19-07, 08:40 PM
I was a chaser also, funniest thing that I ever seen, I was in the bullpin, waiting for my rats (5) when (2)other chasers got into a fight over who was there first, the CCMP's came in and reached over this one guys head and stuck his fingers in his nostrils(sp), but when the warden came down, I didn't see a thing! gotta lov it!

10thzodiac
03-19-07, 09:27 PM
Once I got put under military apprehension (arrested) in Futnema, Okinawa for assault and battery (guilty). The MP's were a black Marine Corporal and a big white Lance Corporal. I was about a block...