PDA

View Full Version : If you join reserve can you get out early to go active?

BunnerRabbit
03-17-07, 11:18 PM
Considering rejoining after 6 years out but thinking the reserves is where I should go. If I later change my mind can you get out of a reserve contract to go active?

LoCapitano
03-17-07, 11:51 PM
yes

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-18-07, 12:11 AM
It used to be somewhat difficult to do (when I knew someone doing it pre-9/11) but I doubt that there are as many obstacles now as there used to be.

LoCapitano
03-18-07, 12:17 AM
I am active and do not have any experience with this, But I hear all you have to do is submit a packet and it'll happen quick...

shark6485
03-18-07, 08:35 AM
I am in the process of doing this myself.

I am a reserve 0311 with a combat deployment to Fallujah.

In order to switch from reserves to active duty, you need your unit to sign a DD 368 conditional release form. This can be a bit tricky as your unit may not want to release you, but they ultimately have to. Once it is signed, bring it to a regular recruiter, not a prior service recruiter. He will contact the OPSO and get a checklist of everything you need for this process. Your SRB, unit diary, etc etc all need to be updated. You will then go to MEPS to get a medical exam. I returned from MEPS a few days ago so this is as far as I have gotten with the process. I believe that once this is done, your package will get submitted to higher, and you will eventually be on active duty. Typically, you will work at the recruiting station until your actual orders come in. I do not know how long these take as I have not gotten there yet, but I will let you know.

In short, it is possible to do this, but it is alot of paperwork and can be frustrating if you do not know how to navigate through the system. Any other questions ask away or email me at Frogboy2003@aol.com