PDA

View Full Version : Employment for wives of Marines?

tinman22
03-17-07, 07:12 PM
I'm considering the PLC Marine JAG program (doing OCS this summer), but I'm curious and a little hesitant about employment opportunities that would be available for spouses of JAG officers? How difficult would it be for a spouse with a law degree to find and retain a job while married to a JAG officer? Being a Marine JAG is something I really want to do, but I just feel it would be inconsiderate to make this kind of a decision only thinking about my own career goals.

If anyone could weigh in, I'd really appreciate it.

Phantom Blooper
03-17-07, 07:26 PM
Look in the members list on this site and PM 2nd Lt dscusmc. He is knowledgeable in this area,as he is either a JAG or studying for it. Good Luck!:evilgrin:

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-18-07, 12:07 AM
It depends on where you are stationed. If you are in Southern California or the D.C. area there would be many opportunities for your wife. However, if you were in other areas, the possibilities are more limited. She could probably find work as there aren't a great number of Marine spouses that are lawyers, and Marines and their families make a huge amount of the population in these areas. But, the work may not be what she envisioned doing. I would guess it would be as a prosecutor, public defender, or family law would be the most available.

tinman22
03-19-07, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the advice!

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-19-07, 01:00 AM
Any time. I have a friend in the Army JAG corps now in Iraq. People don't understand how important those people can be. Thanks for considering passing up the money that can be made by being an attorney and considering our Corps.