PDA

View Full Version : Question

zackmerc
03-17-07, 03:15 PM
Hello,

I am an Asian American about to be signed into the DEP to join the Marines.
However, I am wondering if there is any sort of discrimination, if any, in the Marines. I have suffered discrimination in school and other places and can't help but wonder where else it could be. I understand that many Marines come from Midwestern or Southern states where they have no contact with other cultures and will hate or fear non-Anglos.

Any offensive, rude, or mean comments can be kept away from this post.

Zulu 36
03-17-07, 03:34 PM
Hello,

I am an Asian American about to be signed into the DEP to join the Marines.
However, I am wondering if there is any sort of discrimination, if any, in the Marines. I have suffered discrimination in school and other places and can't help but wonder where else it could be. I understand that many Marines come from Midwestern or Southern states where they have no contact with other cultures and will hate or fear non-Anglos.

Any offensive, rude, or mean comments can be kept away from this post.
If there is a place where there is little discrimination, it is the Marine Corps. In boot camp, every recruit is "equally worthless" (GySgt Hartmann in Full Metal Jacket). After boot camp, when you are a Marine, your performance and merits carry you, not your ancestry.

Second, I am offended by your sterotyping Midwesterners and Southerners. I would suspect you listen to your communist US senators too much on TV. Very few regions of the US are homogenous in culture anymore, but our liberal friends seem to perpetuate falsehoods. I grew up in Detroit and live in the south. Homey don't play that.

Third, get used to rude, mean, and offensive comments. Life is shi*ty like that.

zackmerc
03-17-07, 03:39 PM
Hey man,

My recruiters told me most Marines are from the Midwest or South. I originally thought Marines were Americans from all over the place.

hump_drop
03-17-07, 03:49 PM
I don't fear you, and I'm from Alabama.

Does the wannabe feel better now?