PDA

View Full Version : Marines, you need to read this post!

testforecho2112
03-17-07, 02:28 PM
I got this from a friend, his brother is Mark, a 2nd LT 2/7 Golf Co. He was recently WIA, and forwarded this to his brother, who forwarded it to me.

Makes me proud to be a Marine!

Semper Fi,

Bill

Date: Mar 16, 2007 8:37 AM
Subject: platoon update

I sent the e-mail titled "the job" because I feel like this one doesn't make sense without it. I know that was a long time ago. this event happened in mid february. This e-mail was done almost entirely before I got shot.

One of my squads was assigned to help out a squad from another platoon that was stuck in the middle of our area of operations (AO). On the way, they hit a large explosive buried under a bridge which totalled their HMMWV. In an instant, it was a ten ton fireball. The driver, one of my junior lance corporals, was killed instantly. his name was blake howey and he was 20 years old.

As soon as the vehicle exploded, Marines from the second vehicle ran to their aid. They did this knowing the risks. First risk- another explosive device waiting for them. Second- a burning vehicle with ammunition waiting to cook off and start firing in random directions- which started happening. They pulled their wounded friends out of the vehicle and started giving aid. The squad leader got out of the burning vehicle (not on his own because many of my HMMWV doors are broken, which was the case with his) and began running around on his fractured, shrapnel filled legs and giving orders. When one of the Marines who is a certified combat lifesaver tried to help him, he refused. When he tried again, my squad leader hit him in the face and told him to help the others and get him a radio. That's the only way they know how to be. The three Marines were medevaced out of the area. The squad leader will be fine, though he won't rejoin us. His turret gunner will also be fine, though he won't rejoin us either. The third was the driver. As I mentioned, he was killed immediately. I can only hope after hearing the descriptions of his body that he didn't feel any of the explosion that made it look like that. There was massive trauma to all of his limbs and very little left of him above his shoulders. They will not release the pictures. Maybe it's best. The squad leader would have surely burned to death inside that vehicle had another Marine not run into the flames to open his door and let him out. I've mentioned that particular Marine (the squad leader) a few times in other e-mails both for his scorpion killing prowess as well as the comment he made about life perspective. both him. Great kid, great leader. he'll be doing big things for the secret servive in the near future. after that he wants to be a youth pastor. really great kid.

It was a squad mission so I didn't go out with them, as is usually the case. Once they got in trouble another squad went to help them and I requested to jump on with them. I was denied. Instead, I had to stand in the combat operations center (COC) uselessly as the longest and worst two hours of my life went by. I have known no greater frustration than not being able to be there for them when they needed me, especially since they were having problems with the radios and i probably could have fixed it. Instead, I stood and listened while information came in, then changed, and changed again. 6 Urgent Surgical casualties, then 3 urgents and 1 KIA, then 4, then 2. No one knew.

As information slowly trickled in, I went to tell the rest of the platoon. They were saddened and upset. No one was killed during the company's last deployment so it is a new experience for everyone. He was part of our family and one of their brothers. His best friend took it the hardest. They did everything together. They were so close that on our last weekend in the US when Marines were only allowed to leave if they were seeing family, the two of them were allowed to go together anyway. In addition, the friend promised blake's parents that he'd look out for him while we were here. That is tough for him to deal with right now.

Blake was a phenomenal kid and among the finest of our junior Marines. We will miss him personally and professionally. I'm sure they say that about every single person that gets hurt or killed in Iraq, but he was really something special. But, like one of the Lance Corporals who pulled him out of the vehicle said, "Howey died doing his job. I mean, we're ****ing Marines." It happens. That's the part of the job that no one likes. The guys are dealing in the only ways they know how. It's my job now to make sure they are physically and mentally ready to go back outside the wire, find the right people, and do the part of the job that everyone likes. They'll be fine, I'll make sure of it.

Always Faithful,
Mark

This job has now become the responsibility of a Lieutenant named Mike Clevenger. he was our company executive officer before i got shot, but he was the platoon commander for my platoon on their last deployment. he's a good guy and a good leader from whom i have learned a great deal since arriving. they'll be in good hands with him, no doubt about that.

I was going to send this next part out in a separate email but it seems more appropriate to just add it onto this one.

Recently, the Marine I mentioned in above for being blake howey's best friend was shot and killed while on a foot patrol. his name was nathan windsor and he was 19 years old. as i was not there, i dont have any more details. i got to see his body when it arrived at TQ because this is where most air medevacs end up going. He was killed by one shot from a lone shooter. i don't know how long he lived but he was in stable condition when they put him on the bird.

again i had to listen to the information come in second hand from someone who didnt have all the facts, which is always the most frustrating part. i heard there was a KIA and asked who he was with. "twenty-seven i think. or two and seven. is that one of yours?" (i'm in 2d battalion, 7th marine regiment-- most often called 'two seven.' everyone here is navy so they don't know our units.) " i dont know, there are well over a thousand people in a battalion and only forty are mine, so probably not." No one knew his company and when they finally found someone who knew his name i, unfortunately, recognized it immediately. 1300 people in a battalion, 2 killed in action, both mine.

i have no way of getting in touch with the platoon or even the company directly so i have no idea how they're doing. This is a tough time for them, so keep them in your thoughts. keep in mind that they will be asked to do the exact same thing tommorrow and the next day, and the day after that. they will never get a break or a day off. for that matter, they won't ever get 8 hours off in a row. they'll be fine, though, they have to be. anything that was intended for the platoon will still get there if sent to the same address but to '1stLt Mike Clevenger' instead of me. thank you for the continued support.

always faithful,
mark

bootlace15
03-17-07, 06:22 PM
damn,that hits right in the gut..........Amen

bootlace15 out