View Full Version : Marines home from Iraq after a 'long, long' tour

thedrifter
03-17-07, 09:51 AM
Marines home from Iraq after a 'long, long' tour

Eight other reservists deployed in Iraq could return by next weekend
Saturday, March 17, 2007

BY AMBER KROSEL

OF THE JOURNAL STAR

BARTONVILLE - A delighted Cpl. Ervin Hull scooped his nephew, 6-month-old Kevin Dement, into his arms as he met him for the very first time.

After spending nearly seven months serving in Iraq, Hull and Lance Cpl. Joe Batey, both Marine Reserves, returned home Friday to a cheering crowd of family and friends.

"It's a great feeling," the 23-year-old Hull of Canton said. "We spent time over there - a long, long time."

Hull and Batey of Peoria from Engineer Company C, 6th Engineer Support Battalion, flew into the Greater Peoria Regional Airport at about 3 p.m. and were greeted with smiles and signs reading "Semper Fi."

They were mobilized at the beginning of last summer to join Combat Logistics Regiment-15 out of Camp Pendleton, Calif., for deployment to Anbar Providence, Iraq.

Fellow Marines of the Reserve Unit in Peoria County patted both on the back and welcomed them home. Mothers of Marines still stationed in Iraq rushed to hug Hull and Batey with teary eyes and thank-yous.

Batey's mother, Carolyn, 45, said she was "relieved" her son returned home safely. She clutched a "Welcome Home" sign with 24-year-old son "Vee," who was waving bells and an American flag, waiting eagerly for Batey to cross the flight gates.

"He turned 21 over there so we have a nice birthday cake waiting for him at home," she said, laughing and adding, "A fresh one. I haven't been saving it for months."

Hull and Batey had spent the last several months stationed at Taqaddum, working security patrols and building barracks and other projects in the Sunni Triangle.

Company C 1st Sgt. Casey Samborski said he's anticipating the eight other local reservists deployed in Iraq will return to Peoria County by either Thursday or Friday.

"I'm hoping by next weekend we'll have everyone back," Samborski said.

For now, Hull said he plans on grabbing his fishing pole to relax back home in Canton.

"It's still a little cold, but I want to go fishing," he said, fidgeting with his backpack. "The grass is nice, the trees are nice ... I'm just waiting to get out there."

Amber Krosel can be reached at 686-3114 or akrosel@pjstar.com.

Ellie