PDA

View Full Version : Vision already serves wounded

thedrifter
03-17-07, 09:23 AM
Vision already serves wounded
CHRISSY VICK
March 17, 2007 - 12:00AM

Hope for the Warriors began as a vision.

But in less than a year, that vision is already serving wounded warriors and their families around the country.

The nonprofit organization, incorporated in July by co-founders Shannon Maxwell and Robin Kelleher, reached its most recent goal during Thursday's grand opening of the Wounded Warrior House aboard Camp Lejeune. The facility includes two homes and a resource center that will serve the family members of the wounded and fallen.

The newly renovated homes were donated by Atlantic Marine Corps Communities and will provide transitional housing for wounded Marines and their families.

"This provides the same service for married families as the Wounded Warrior Barracks does for the single warriors," Maxwell said. "We saw how that worked so well in helping them heal."

Both of the Warrior Houses have ramps, roll-in showers and widened doorways. The fully decorated homes were furnished by local business and organization donations.

Often, spouses need temporary lodging after their injured Marine is released from the hospital and awaiting suitable housing. Others, including parents and the wounded, will be able to use it while visiting loved ones.

"It's all about togetherness," said Shannon's husband, Lt. Col. Tim Maxwell, who along with Gunnery Sgt. Ken Barnes founded the Wounded Warrior Barracks at Camp Lejeune. "Togetherness is so powerful. All of the Marines I know and talk to say their wives had a tough time and this would have been good for them in so many ways."

The Warrior House concept is something Barnes calls "unbelievable."

"I wish we could do 50 of these," he said. "It's going to be peace of mind for families."

As II Marine Expeditionary Force recently transitioned to take over Marine operations in Iraq, more wounded Marines and sailors - and especially their families -will need such assistance, Barnes said.

"A Marine worries, but it's different," he said. "The spouse is the one who has the real pressure. Here, it puts the spouse in touch with resources for everything they need. It shows this nation is behind these wounded, behind all of the service members."

Sgt. Jason Simms, 28, is one warrior who has been recently helped by the organization.

"Three weeks ago my apartment burned down," said Simms, injured in Iraq in July 2004 by a roadside bomb. "After the fire I was pretty depressed because I lost everything. But Hope for the Warriors helped me get all new furniture. When my family came to visit, they helped us get a hotel."

Before Hope for the Warriors existed, Simms said it was difficult and sometimes impossible to find the resources that could provide assistance. He says the Warrior Houses are needed in a big way.

"When I got hurt my family wanted to come down to see me and it was difficult," said Simms during the grand opening for the Warrior Houses. "But now, everything they need is right here."

Wanting to do more

Recovery from the severe head injury Lt. Col. Tim Maxwell received in Iraq in 2004 presented a huge challenge for him and his wife. But they made it through and were determined to help others do the same.

After they saw the success of the Wounded Warrior Barracks, they knew there were more needs to be met.

"(Wounded troops) go to the barracks because they're with other people with the same injuries," Lt. Col. Tim Maxwell said. But the spouses don't get that. We both wanted something for the spouses."

Shannon Maxwell recalled struggling through her husband's injury while Kelleher faced the same.

"All of us had a strong support system, but we watched other people struggle," she said. "We really wanted to start advocating on their behalf, make sure their needs were met."

The idea for Hope for the Warriors was then born.

Their first event to raise support for the warriors, "Run for the Warriors," was such a success - this year's race is slated for May 19 and the group is expecting 4,000 participants - that Maxwell and Kelleher knew they could do more.

"We wanted to give (the spouses) an avenue to be empowered to take care of their family when they suddenly found themselves the caregiver," Maxwell said. "There didn't appear to be a scholarship for the spouses."

Spouses can now apply for a $5,000 scholarship every year they are enrolled in school through Hope for the Warriors.

Continued assistance for spouses includes a support group, which now meets at the new Warrior House Resource Center. It started with just three spouses and has grown into a large group of women who meet regularly.

"These women get together and share experiences and bolster each other to get through the hard times," Maxwell said. "They talk openly with each other and share things they might not necessarily share with others who haven't walked a mile in their shoes."

Hope for the Warriors also assists the injured troops through "A Warrior's Wish" which grants wishes to severely injured troops around the country in an effort to restore hope. The nonprofit also provides support for the troops at the Wounded Warrior Barracks at Camp Lejeune and immediate assistance to injured troops and their families by helping with transportation and lodging costs. Hope for the Warriors has been able to do so through numerous donations from businesses and organizations around the U.S.

"This lets us know we're not alone," said Simms, who suffered leg, hand and face injuries when he was set on fire by a roadside bomb and then ambushed and shot three times. "We have support from the community all the time."

Contact staff writer Chrissy Vick at cvick@freedomenc.com or by calling 353-1171, ext. 239.