PDA

View Full Version : Conway: Corps to clarify tattoo regulations

thedrifter
03-16-07, 03:58 PM
Conway: Corps to clarify tattoo regulations

Policy will standardize interpretation of rule
By Kimberly Johnson - Staff writer
Posted : Friday Mar 16, 2007 15:51:43 EDT

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/xml/news/2007/03/mctattoo070316/070315_tattoosleeve_story_287.jpg

Marine Corps Times
Lance Cpl. Tom Blachard shows the tattoo "sleeve" that covers one of his arms. Marines complain that the policy permitting tattoos on the lower arms is interpreted differently at different commands. Commandant Gen. James Conway says regulations clarifying the rules will be announced within weeks.

Ambiguity about how far Marines can go with ink on their arms will soon be cleared up, according to the Corps’ top officer.

The service will outline its tattoo policy within weeks, with a goal of balanced interpretation, Commandant Gen. James Conway said.

The proposed policy is circulating among Marine expeditionary force commanders and will soon land on the commandant’s desk, Conway said following town hall meetings with Marines in Missouri in early March.

“Whatever the proposal is, we’re going to do [it] out of pure fairness,” he said.

Marines have long complained that the existing policy allowing extensive lower-arm tattoos — commonly called sleeves — is not interpreted the same way by all commands.

Leathernecks are generally considered within regulations if they don’t have ink on the backs of their hands or above the neck, although Sgt. Maj. John Estrada, sergeant major of the Marine Corps, has admitted the policy is vague.

Aiming to clear up the confusion and instill a positive image for Marines, sergeants major called last year for banning tattoo sleeves and kicking out any Marines who have them. So far, that policy has not been put into place. A spokesman for Conway said there is no direct link between the planned clarification and the recommendation from the sergeants major last summer.

Conway said that almost every time he meets with Marines, he hears complaints that the policy isn’t uniformly interpreted.

“We’ve got to fix that. That’s unfair to the Marines. It’s got to be one policy interpreted one way through the entire Marine Corps,” he said.
Think twice about sleeves

While no existing policy prohibits sleeves, Conway said he tells Marines that ink on their lower arms limits their career progression, such as their ability to go on recruiting, drill instructor or Marine security guard duty.

“We need to get it right with regard to uniformity of determination. We can’t have separate interpretations depending on where the Marine applies,” he said.

The effort to clarify the issue comes as the Corps faces a recruiting challenge stemming from the planned addition of 22,000 Marines to the permanent force by 2011.

Conway has been adamant that service standards, including those for tattoos, will not be lowered in order to meet the goal.

“I don’t see it affecting much recruiting because the standards are there for recruiting, and I don’t think we’re going to change those standards. The real question is what is acceptable on a Marine and what’s not,” Conway said.

Last year, the Army relaxed its regulations, allowing tattoos on the backs of the neck and hand. Before that change, tattoos that that would be visible while wearing the class A uniform were prohibited.

Around the same time, the Navy eased restrictions as well, but tightened up procedures for getting tattoo waivers. Sailors had been restricted to covering only 25 percent of their bodies with tattoos. That restriction was eliminated, as long as the tattoos are not visible when wearing a uniform. Tattoos are still banned on the neck, head, face, scalp and hands

Ellie

echo3oscar1833
03-16-07, 09:52 PM
Well that might suck for a Gunny who has been in for 15 years and all of a sudden gets kicked out 4 years before retirement. Just because of some tattoos. Personally, and Proffesionaly as a Marine I think the whole thing is stupid. Like they say if its not on the face, neck, back of hands. who cares. I have meet alot of damn good Marines that had sleeves, and it didnt make them any less of a Marine. I think the whole policy on fu#$ing tattoos is political and retarted. Why would you kick a Marine out with alot of tats, hell you let that Join in the first place, personally I would feel like I was stabbed in the back over something so trivial. I know alot of you might disagree with me, but thats my position on the topic.
:evilgrin::mad::usmc:

SkilletsUSMC
03-17-07, 01:55 AM
Its things like this that make me think the Marine Corps is dead. Were in the middle of a WAR and the only thing that POG can think about is buddy****ing good Marines... Here the message "IN with the fags... out with the loyal motivated Marines who have an eagle globe and anchor on their for-arms.

Attention CMC!

Its because of this BULL**** that I am NOT re-enlisting! I dont care if you offer me a million dollars. Semper Fi as long as its not tattoed on your arms.:thumbdown :thumbdown :thumbdown

FistFu68
03-17-07, 06:37 AM
:evilgrin: TATTOO~(666)IN PINK,OH ALL QUEER'S FOREHEAD'S IN THE USMC!!!

usmc81
03-17-07, 10:04 AM
The more ink the better! Let the pride show!

mag32
03-17-07, 10:23 AM
My dad was a China Marine and he had ink all over his body, I got Sgt Jiggs(Bull dog) on my arm and my Squadrons emblem on the other. Never heard a word from anyone (1958-1968) about it. I thought wartime marines were free of the three ****s-Bull-Chicken, and Horse.
MAG32

thedrifter
03-20-07, 07:23 PM
Marines tighten restrictions on tattoos

By Jeff Schogol, Stars and Stripes
Mideast edition, Wednesday, March 21, 2007

ARLINGTON, Va. — Marines who are thinking about getting ink done should check out the Corps’ revised tattoo policy.

In a Marine Administrative Message released Tuesday, the Corps announced that tattoos visible when Marines wear their PT uniforms are now prohibited. The ban applies to “sleeve” tattoos, which cover large parts of Marines’ arms and legs.

Under previous regulations, Marines needed only to make sure tattoos on their arms and legs were not visible while wearing the service “C” uniform.

Full-sleeve tattoos, which cover all of Marines arms and legs, are now prohibited. Half- and quarter-sleeve tattoos visible while wearing the PT shirt or shorts are also banned.

Marines who already have sleeve tattoos will be allowed to keep their existing designs, but they must have all of their tattoos photographed and recorded, the policy states.

As was the case under the old tattoo policy, Marines still are not allowed to have tattoos on their necks and heads. Also not allowed are tattoos that are “prejudicial to good order, discipline and morale, or are of a nature to bring discredit upon the Marine Corps,” according to the policy.

Such tattoos include, but are not limited to, any that are “sexist, racist, vulgar, anti-American, anti-social, gang related, or extremist group or organization related,” policy states.

In early 2006 the Army clarified its tattoo policy last year to allow some head and neck tattoos, changing a long-time policy against clearly visible markings.

Sailors are still prohibited from having such tattoos. But last spring the Navy eliminated its “25 percent” rule, which stated only one-quarter of any portion of the body covered by sailors’ uniforms could be tattooed. The Navy’s new rule is that sailors’ tattoos, regardless of size, may not be visible through the Navy’s summer white uniform.

Meanwhile, the Air Force prohibits tattoos that cover more than 25 percent of exposed body parts and those visible above the collarbone, according to an August 2006 Air Force Instruction.

Such tattoos are considered “excessive,” and if airmen refuse to cover them, they can be kicked out of the Air Force, the service policy states.

Last May the Department of Defense changed its policy on tattoo removal, requiring all active-duty troops who wish to have the marks lasered away to pay for it themselves.

The new regulation, MARADMIN 198/07, is available at www.usmc.mil.

Ellie

thedrifter
03-23-07, 07:42 PM
Think before you ink: Consider the ‘4 Cs’

By C. Mark Brinkley - Staff writer

JACKSONVILLE, N.C. — Rome was not built in a day.

The same can be said of most large tattoo projects — whether it’s a covered leg, a sweeping shoulder-to-wrist piece or a full-back reproduction of “The Last Supper.”

Generally considered a long-term labor of love, large tattoos generally require more time and money than most people can shell out all at once. More often than not, these massive murals are really an accumulation of hours spent in the chair over the course of months and years.

Many people take it in bursts, collecting smaller individual tattoos close to one another before filling in the gaps — maybe with flames, wind or water — to make it all flow as a single piece of skin art. Others start by laying down the basic outline like a page from a new coloring book, wearing their work-in-progress proudly while returning as time and money permit to have the details added.

Either way, wearing big ink — especially in an exposed location like a forearm — is a commitment not to be taken lightly. There are things to consider, not the least of which is the possibility of horrified looks from grandmas at the grocery store.

So before you start dreaming up your new look, take a moment to consider our “four Cs”:
1. Commitment

At Odyssey Tattoo — one of the oldest parlors in town, serving the Marines and sailors of Camp Lejeunechest and sweeps over his shoulder and down his arm, a mixture of Marine Corps and religious imagery that includes the Iwo Jima flag raising and a tribute to fallen Marines.

One day a week, three or four hours at a sitting, Reust has added ink.

“I’ll bet we haven’t missed three or four weeks out of a year,” he said.

Big tattoos are not a weekend project. They’re not even a one-week project.

“You could do it,” Reust said, but that quick job assumes you picked flames or some other basic design. “It would be rough. But it depends on the intricacy of what you’re doing.”
2. Cost

How much does a tattoo cost? Depends on the artist, who sets whatever rate he chooses. A good rule of thumb is $100 an hour, but most tattoo artists are willing to offer a deal for a large piece, especially if the recipient is a friend or loyal customer.

Size and time are not the only considerations the tattoo artist uses in quoting a price. Coloring and large sections of black filler can drive up the cost, as can fine details and location on the body. Portraits are popular, but require a special kind of talent to be rendered properly.

Bottom line, anything large is probably going to cost at least $1,000, and possibly much, much more.
3. Criticism

There’s no question that tattooing has gone mainstream in recent years, thanks in part to celebrities, pro athletes and reality TV.

A recent study found that about 25 percent of Americans between the agest of 18 and 50 have at least one tattoo. The number is even higher among young people, with 36 percent of those ages 18 to 29 sporting ink.

“It seems people are more complimentary than anything else,” said one gunnery sergeant whose pair of forearm sleeves include images of a dragon and a tiger.

Still the skulls, reapers and other images of death and destruction often favored by troops are more likely to conjure up images of gang members and evil bikers than pop princesses and basketball players. They call it “stereotyping” for a reason.

A large, visible tattoo is meant to be noticed, but the attention is not always positive. Someone might misread the signs and think that the inspiration for the “Natural Born Killer” tag running down your forearm is prison, not patriotism.
4. Career

Anyone who loves ink should thank a sailor. After all, it was sailors returning from the South Pacific in the 1700s who are generally credited with bringing tattooing to the rest of us.

It’s little wonder, then, that tattoos and the military so often go hand-in-hand. But the services are not above clamping down, controlling both the locations where troops can get tattooed and the styles and images they can use.

Both the Army and the Navy both loosened tattoo regs last year — soldiers can now get hand and neck tattoos, while sailors have more choices on size and location — as part of an effort to improve recruiting. But the Marine Corps is headed the opposite direction, instituting new rules beginning April 1 that prohibit certain large, visible tattoos on the arms and legs. Marines who already have such tattoos — their existing ink will be exempt from the new regulations — have been scratching their heads since the message came out, trying to decide if they can finish current projects and what it means for job security.

All sleeves and large visible artwork must now be documented and added to the Marine’s service record book, which gets a serious look during promotion season. For older guys with narrower windows for promotion, there are fears that visible tattoos could be seen as a strike.

“Being senior enlisted, we’re all wondering what’s going to happen in the boards,” the gunnery sergeant said. “Everything we’ve done to be successful — is it going to be an issue because we have tattoos?”

C. Mark Brinkley, senior writer for the Military Times publications, has three tattoos, including a big ol’ Incredible Hulk on his left calf. He can be reached at (910) 455-8354 or via e-mail, if you’d like to remind him that green ink is the hardest color to ever have removed.

Ellie

thedrifter
03-25-07, 07:00 AM
Tattoo tradition threatened
CHRISSY VICK
March 25, 2007 - 12:00AM

Things were busy at Bomb's Away last week. The Jacksonville tattoo parlor was bombarded with customers. Most, if not all, were Marines.

In fact, they lined up at the shop to get last-minute cover-ups or finish sleeve tattoos already under way, said Nik Ferranto, a tattoo artist at the site. A number of them displayed patriotic and military tattoos, such as the Eagle, Globe and Anchor or the American flag.

Ferranto, and other tattoo artists in town knew why. A new Marine Corps policy starts on April 1 banning sleeve and large tattoos visible in workout or "PT" gear.

"It's absolutely causing a frenzy of Marines coming in here trying to get tattoos done before April 1," Ferranto said.

Tattoo shops all around Jacksonville were also inundated.

"We've had so many people calling, there is no way we can get them all done," said Harry "Preacher" Farmer, manager of Unique Ink Tattoos on Marine Boulevard. "Marines are the most heavily tattooed bunch in the military. That's why there's so many shops in this town."

Marines interviewed at the tattoo shops weren't happy about the new rules. They did not wish to be identified for fear of getting in trouble with superiors.

"It's kind of ridiculous because the tattoos don't affect how we do our jobs," said Greg, a 21-year-old infantry Marine. "I still pull the trigger the same."

He said that each of his tattoos has a meaning.

"If anything they help me through my deployments," said Greg, who has served in Iraq and Afghanistan and is preparing to deploy again. "When I'm getting blown up or in a bad situation, I look down at my arm and it reminds me of my best friend and the reason why I'm going to make it home."

As he spoke, the Marine was getting a cover-up tattoo on his forearm, one of many he displayed that will be grandfathered in under the new policy. Marines will be required to have their existing tattoos documented by their command with a photograph, measurement and location.

Existing tattoos will be allowed and will not hold a Marine back from promotion, but future sleeve or large tattoos that are visible in PT gear will not be allowed, officials said.

Many in the military are applauding the new rules.

"The policy has been under work for the past four years and it is an outstanding policy," said Sgt. Maj. Ron Himsworth, II Marine Expeditionary Force sergeant major. "The intention of it is to educate our Marines on the importance of professional conduct."

While some young Marines say the policy is "anti-tattoo," Himsworth said that's not the case.

"When we take a Marine and put them out on an embassy in a foreign country, they're not only representing the U.S. Marine Corps, but the United States of America," he said. "Some people feel tattoos are fine in this country, but all countries don't feel that way."

The policy also creates a Corpswide standard and "clearinghouse" to deal with any issue. The deputy commandant for Manpower and Reserve Affairs will be the authority on questionable tattoos.

"While currently in the Marine Corps, a Marine with a visible tattoo has to be approved by the local school, but we've cleared that up," Himsworth said. "Before, the different schools had different policies, but now we have one policy."

The policy protects the "high standards of professional military appearance," according to a message to Marines from Gen. James T. Conway, commandant of the Marine Corps.

"Recently, I have become concerned over the growing trend of tattooing in our Corps," Conway said in the message, adding that the eyes of America and the world are constantly upon Marines due to their role in the war on terrorism. "I understand many tattoos are in good taste and many represent pride for our Corps or remembrance of fallen comrades; however, I believe tattoos of an excessive nature do not represent our traditional values."

1st Lt. Brian Donnelly, a Marine Corps spokesman in Quantico, Va., said the new rules help maintain standards for appearance at all times.

"These regulations are intended to ensure that any tattoo a Marine might choose to get is consistent with the Corps' traditional values." Donnelly said.

A formal tattoo policy was established in 1996 and incorporated into the Marine Corps Uniform Regulations. The recent changes were the first update, though it has been reviewed numerous times over the past 10 years, Donnelly said.

The policy not only bans sleeve tattoos but also those that are "prejudicial to good order, discipline and morale, or are of a nature to bring discredit upon the Marine Corps." The list includes any that are sexist, racist, vulgar, anti-American, anti-social, gang-related or extremist group or organization related.

Similar "prejudicial" tattoos are also banned in the Army, which revised its policy last year. The policy now allows soldiers to have tattoos on the hands and back of the neck, if not shown above the collar, according to the policy.

The Army policy does, however, still prohibit tattoos on the face, head or neck above the collar, and only small tattoos are allowed on the hands. Previous tattoo regulations banned Marines from having tattoos on the head or neck, which is still a requirement of the new policy.

Ferranto says he was turned away from joining the Marine Corps after high school for that very reason.

"I have a tattoo on my head that I got on my 18th birthday," he said, adding that he feels people have been "discriminating" against him since that day.

Daniel, a 22-year-old Camp Lejeune Marine who also declined to give his last name, said he feels that tattoos, even large ones, have become acceptable in society and, therefore, something that should be acceptable in the Marine Corps.

"I have no problem with tattoos being hidden in uniform like it was before," he said. "It was a simple policy everybody agreed on. But we only wear PT gear when we are on base anyway."

Marines have become known for their tattoos, he said, adding that his father, grandfather and uncle - all former Marines - are "covered" in tattoos.

"We did look like the meanest (Marines) alive," Daniel said. "Now we're just going to look like a bunch of pansies."

Contact staff writer Chrissy Vick at cvick@freedomenc.com or by calling 353-1171, ext. 239.

Ellie