PDA

View Full Version : Maine mourns Marine slain in Iraq

thedrifter
03-16-07, 07:51 AM
Maine mourns Marine slain in Iraq
Man remembered as a role model

By Brian MacQuarrie, Globe Staff | March 16, 2007

Angel Rosa brought a tough persona to the soccer pitch at South Portland High School in Maine, where he captained the squad before his graduation in 2004.

But off the field, his former coach said, Rosa was a caring, charismatic young man who served as an inspiring role model for children.

The coach, Jon Shardlow, cried yesterday as he spoke of Rosa, 21, a Marine private who died Tuesday during combat in Anbar Province in Iraq.

"He was just a special kid," Shardlow said. "He had such a great spirit. It's unfortunate when you lose someone who had so much to give."

Rosa had been in Iraq since January, deployed 11 months after he joined the Marines and trained as an infantry rifleman.

"He called me almost every day," his wife, Elise, said in a telephone interview from her mother-in-law's home in South Portland. "He didn't tell me too much, because he didn't want me to worry, except to say that he was really hot and really tired and that he just missed home a lot and nice food."

Rosa is the 16th member of the armed forces from Maine to be killed in the Iraq war. He had been assigned to the Third Battalion, Regimental Combat Team 6, Second Marine Division, Second Marine Expeditionary Force, based at Camp Lejeune, N.C.

His wife, whom he married in May, said the Marines represented "the ultimate challenge" for someone who always strived for excellence.

"It was something new every day," she said. "He had something to push himself for, and he liked that. He was so good at everything he did."

Shardlow said Rosa, who played sweeper, showed an extraordinary maturity for his age. After a teammate's father had died, Shardlow recalled, Rosa comforted the coaches, who had maintained a stoic facade for the squad, but then released their emotions behind closed doors.

"There was a knock, and Angel and a teammate came in," Shardlow said. "They just gave us a hug. It was such a selfless act of a man of his age to recognize what we, as adults, were going through. He knew that we needed it as much as anyone else."

The discipline and camaraderie of sports attracted Rosa, Shardlow said.

"Sports were one of the things that kept Angel engaged with the academic process, and I think he found a lot of strength from his teammates," Shardlow said. "I'm guessing he was able to find a similar environment and similar structure in the military, and I'm sure it served him very well."

Governor John E. Baldacci ordered flags to be flown at half-staff on the day of Rosa's funeral. Arrangements had not been finalized yesterday, family members said.

"I am deeply saddened by the loss of another young life," Baldacci said in a statement. "When his country called him, Private First Class Rosa answered. There's not enough we can do to honor his sacrifice.

"His mother said her son was always the first into battle, was always leading from the front," the governor added. "She also said the people of South Portland have opened their arms to her family and have been incredibly supportive."

Members of Maine's congressional delegation also praised Rosa for his sacrifice.

"These are trying times, and words cannot do justice to the honor with which Angel served his country and the sadness and loss his family now feels," said US Representative Michael Michaud.

Ellie

thedrifter
03-16-07, 07:27 PM
Young widow planned formal marriage cermony upon soldier's return

By Associated Press

SOUTH PORTLAND, Maine - They met at a restaurant. She was asking for a job application. He happened to be standing behind the desk.

From there, the relationship between Angel Rosa and wife-to-be Elise McCabe flourished. They married last May in a civil ceremony at South Portland City Hall and planned a full Catholic wedding when the Marine returned home from Iraq.

Their plans were shattered in Iraq's volatile Anbar province, where Marine Pfc. Rosa, 21, suffered fatal injuries in combat operations.

"He joined the Marines because that was going to be his way to take care of his family," said Elise Rosa, also 21. "He did it for both of us."

Wearing a T-shirt friends made for her with Rosa's face on it, Elisa Rosa said Thursday she didn't know what to feel. She said she was feeling so many emotions as she and the community grieved for the former South Portland High School soccer player and community volunteer.

Elise, who last spoke to her husband a few weeks ago, said his team, part of a forward expeditionary unit, was going on a mission that would take several days. That was the last thing she heard from him. He died on Tuesday.

She, her father and other relatives grieved at the home of Anna and Robert Bradbury, Rosa's parents. The young Marine also left behind an 18-year-old sister, Mimi Giordano, also a graduate of South Portland High School.

Angel Rosa was born in Philadelphia before moving to Puerto Rico. He was just 9 years old and unable to speak English when he came to Maine in 1994 to be reunited with his mother. Nonetheless, he quickly made friends.

At South Portland High School, he really earned his reputation on the soccer field. "As a coach, I needed to have somebody on the field that I could always count on," said former soccer coach Adam Perron. "Angel was that person."

Rosa volunteered as a referee for the city's youth soccer program. He also worked with Latino children at Sacred Heart Parish in Portland, including immigrants from El Salvador, the Dominican Republic and elsewhere.

"A lot of things came easy to him," said Kathy McInnis-Misenor, Rosa's aunt and godmother. "But he was never a braggart. He was as humble a young man as you will ever meet."

After graduating from high school, Rosa worked at several restaurants including the Village Cafe, where he met Elise, as he looked for direction.

He talked about being a firefighter or police officer, and decided the Marines would be the gateway to one of those careers. He enlisted Feb. 1, 2006.

Elise said she and Angel talked a lot about the future. They stayed up late and imagined the house they would buy someday, the kids they would raise.

"When he chose to join the Marines, it was hard for some of us to know that he wouldn't be around as much," Elise said. "He saw it as a way to make sure that everyone he loved and cared about would never have anything to worry about."

Ellie