PDA

View Full Version : Relationships

coplepk04
03-15-07, 07:18 AM
Hey all I ship out in one month yesterday to the Island and I can't wait. Reserves for a year and then after I finish school I want to go to OCS (unless I get deployed and that gets pushed back). My questions is pretty simple - how likely are relationships to work out over the Parris Island/possible deployment/active duty time? My girlfriend of a while isn't the fondest of my joining the Corps and her dad is one of those America-hating hippies, and unfortunately she looks up to him quite a bit. I just wanted to hear if anyone else had any similar experiences and/or advice for me.

Can't wait until I can say Semper Fi :usmc: :flag:

YLDNDN6
03-15-07, 07:27 AM
You have to face the harsh reality that you are doing something unpopular. Not just unpopular with your girlfriend and her pinko-commie father, but with most of the country right now. You have taken up the challenge, accepted that there is something more to life than can be found inside the confines of your home town. When you ship out, you have to either have the unyeilding support of those you leave behind, or you need to weed out the future problem areas right now. If you bring this kind of emotional baggage to the depot with you, it will ruin you. You will be thinking of how the folks at home do not support you while you are supposed to be giving your all to the Corps and your training. You are young, as is your girlfriend I assume, and still prone to mind games. Don't let her play you like that. You will have enough mind games to deal with at the depot. That's my advice...take it for what it is worth...

killerinstinct
03-15-07, 08:02 AM
considering you are uping to be a weekend warrior you probably dont have anything to worry about its not going to be too long and youll see her in between and stuff. Just remember no matter where your school is usually you arent allowed to drive or bring your own car till you get your driving class.

But depending on your MOS and how long the training is it's pretty likely you will still be together but there is always that chance she'll go in heat while you arent there

Marine84
03-15-07, 08:18 AM
Dump her or blow enough smoke up her rear end to where you can have that something to do between.

DWG
03-15-07, 08:46 AM
Dump her or blow enough smoke up her rear end to where you can have that something to do between.

DAMN; That's just cold, M84!:scared:

But it's the best advice so far; plenty of fish in the sea! ;)

DAMN HIPPIES!!!:mad:

Marine84
03-15-07, 11:05 AM
That's what I'm saying! Ya'll know how it is and it kills me to see some of these kids worrying about what they're leaving behind. I didn't leave NOBODY behind AND I always had something to do every time I went home.

I feel like I got thrown in the biggest "candy" store in the world!

slowrider
03-15-07, 12:11 PM
That's what I'm saying! Ya'll know how it is and it kills me to see some of these kids worrying about what they're leaving behind. I didn't leave NOBODY behind AND I always had something to do every time I went home.

I feel like I got thrown in the biggest "candy" store in the world!

I Like that, Will you Marry me? Shoot,I'm already married
:D

DWG
03-15-07, 12:18 PM
I Like that, Will you Marry me? Shoot,I'm already married
:D

Hell, y'all just move out there with ggyoung and all the rest of them poygamist heatherns! (But M84 has already said she won't dress out an elk);)

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-15-07, 12:34 PM
Use the search function and read what we think. The general belief is that it won't work and that it is silly to try. As a reservist you have a chance I suppose. Once you finish boot camp you'll be home for a few days, and then you'll only have to wait through MOS school.