PDA

View Full Version : Marine Colonel to Assume Carrier Air Group Duties

thedrifter
02-20-03, 02:56 PM
Marine Colonel to Assume Carrier Air Group Duties
Submitted by: Headquarters Marine Corps
Story Identification Number: 200322075318
Story by Gunnery Sgt. Glenn Holloway

HEADQUARTERS U.S. MARINE CORPS, Washington(Feb. 14, 2003) -- In an unprecedented move for Navy and Marine Corps aviation, the two services have joined forces to name the first Marine commander of a carrier air group.

Col. Doug "Smash" Yurovich, who currently serves as the Dominant Maneuver Assessment Division chief on the Joint Chiefs staff, was selected from a pool of other candidates as CAG of the Naval Air Station Lemoore-based Carrier Air Wing 9 in early 2005.

"This is a great opportunity to represent the Marine Corps in a real historical venue," said the 27-year-veteran. "It represents all Marines in a new echelon of command aboard carriers."

Though Marine lieutenant colonels normally command Marine Corps squadrons aboard carriers, and Navy captains usually hold the title of CAG, these roles are becoming more fluid as the Navy/Marine Corps Tactical Air Integration plan unfolds.

The integration plan will is scheduled to place more Marines in positions of leadership aboard carriers and more Navy pilots at Marine Corps shore-based commands.

As the chief pilot, Yurovich will be responsible for all aviation assets assigned to the wing, a responsibility he looks forward to, he said.

"I have been involved in Navy commands at every level from 1st lieutenant to colonel and I understand how Marines and Sailors can work together to accomplish the mission," said Yurovich. "I've seen what (Marines and Sailors) can do. I'll do my best to continue to make Carrier Air Wing 9 a combat capable team."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200322075656/$file/yurovich01.jpg
Col. Doug "Smash" Yurovich was recently selected to be the first Marine commander of a carrier air group.
Photo by: Gunnery Sgt. Glenn Holloway

Sempers,

Roger