PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Advice Marines!

MotivatorOfTheGuard
03-14-07, 06:06 PM
This question is aimed more at any Marines who have a knowledge in the legal field. Recently my wife tried to pay off a bill by sending a Money Order express through the mail. For whatever reason the...

10thzodiac
03-14-07, 08:23 PM
Usually if this is the first time major companies will give you a pass. If you are dealing with blood-suckers and it ain't allot of money pay it. Post mark means nothing unless it's the government usually. You can also telephone or wire your payment in some cases when late, a fee sometimes ($25).

If it is a big Corporation you can always contact the CEO when all else fails.

Depending on what kind of bill it is and how much you value your credit, do like my son-in-law, just put all your bills in a big card-board box UN-opened until it gets filled up and then go get another big box. He still owes my dentist $700 that he, the dentist wrote off 11 years ago. My son-in-law loves this country, there is no debtor's prison here, plus there is plenty of dentists http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/04.gif

Phantom Winger
03-14-07, 08:58 PM
You may want to check the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC). Here's a link to Cornell's legal-ese (if you can read legal-ese .. I can't).

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode26/usc_sec_26_00007502----000-.html

In short, the code states that you have no control over the US Postal Service. That being said the burden is on you to prove you mailed it in a timely manner (receipt). Kind of a pain in the ass and companies know this.

As 10th stated you may want to contact the billing department and advise them that payment was made and that you will cancel the payment on the check if they haven't received it and issue a new one (not sure this can be done with money orders). Sounds like they have you between a rock and a hard place...

jgorosco
03-14-07, 10:20 PM
If you used a money order you should have the receipt for the money order. Go to where ever you got the money order and ask to see if they can trace it for you so you can see when it was deposited or cashed. That should help on late fees also postmarked envelopes doesn't really matter to companies. If it isn't in their hands by the due date, they can acess penalties.

testforecho2112
03-14-07, 10:27 PM
Just to echo the others, post marks mean very little, unless its for the IRS! Most companies have a clause that says payment must be PROCESSED by a certain date. That can mean that even if they recieve it before the due date, if they dont process it before its due, you still have to pay the late fees. Might check with the Better Business Bureau too, they have good tools for negotiating with companies when it comes to payments as well.

Good luck!

Bill

MotivatorOfTheGuard
03-16-07, 09:29 AM
Thanks Gents.