PDA

View Full Version : Question about bumper stickers

SamJohnston
03-14-07, 05:43 PM
Am I correct when I say that you shouldn't have a Marine Corps bumper sticker (or any bumper sticker relating to the USMC) on your car if you are not a Marine? I'm asking because my friend ( who's going into the Army ) recently asked me why I don't have a Marine Corps bumper sticker on my truck, so I went into how I can't because I haven't earned it etc. But he says it's okay because It's not saying that you are a Marine, just that you support the Marines. Anyways, all this talk about it is getting me confused so I was hopeing someone could clear this up for me. Thanks.

jinelson
03-14-07, 06:08 PM
Yes pup you are incorrect by telling folks that you should be a Marine to sport a bumper sticker. Yes many Marines would say otherwise but, the Corps spends a lot of bucks printing them and I would rather see a Poolees putting them on and representing us than some idiot. The bottom line is if you get stuff from your recruiter wear it or use it you are now a saleman for my Corps.

Jim

Marine84
03-14-07, 06:10 PM
It's not a big deal unless you're posing..................if someone asks you something when they see it and you tell the truth about it - no biggie. The majority of Marines that DO notice them though will more likely than not go up and say something to them - I know I do when I see one and I don't know how many people ask me about mine (except with me, it's always "is your husband in the Corps?"). It's just usually you don't fly one unless you are one.

SamJohnston
03-14-07, 06:35 PM
Yes pup you are incorrect by telling folks that you should be a Marine to sport a bumper sticker. Yes many Marines would say otherwise but, the Corps spends a lot of bucks printing them and I would rather see a Poolees putting them on and representing us than some idiot. The bottom line is if you get stuff from your recruiter wear it or use it you are now a saleman for my Corps.

JimBut what if you didn't get it from a recruiter, say you went out and bought one at an Army-Navy store or something?

jinelson
03-14-07, 06:43 PM
Our nation is at war there are many in our own country that dispise us so I would be flattered. If I saw your vehicle I would consider you a friend and patriot.

Jim

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-14-07, 06:50 PM
The sticker is great advertising. I had three on the truck when I was a poolee. I don't know of anyone that would say it was wrong for you to have a Marine sticker on your car- but I am sure someone would somewhere.

SamJohnston
03-14-07, 06:51 PM
Well in that case I'll put one on as soon as possible. Thanks for your help.

davecerami275
03-14-07, 06:52 PM
wear the shirt,, sport the sticker,,, i will shake your hand and wish you good luck,, might even let you buy me a beer

slowrider
03-14-07, 06:54 PM
wear the shirt,, sport the sticker,,, i will shake your hand and wish you good luck,, might even let you buy me a beer
Tell him I'll have a Rum and Coke, Dave.
Drinks on the poolie :)

SamJohnston
03-14-07, 07:06 PM
wear the shirt,, sport the sticker,,, i will shake your hand and wish you good luck,, might even let you buy me a beerIf I were old enough, I would be honored to buy you a beer.

P.S. Why is everyone calling me a poolee? :confused:

davblay
03-14-07, 08:45 PM
Semper Fi, poolee ;)

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-14-07, 08:58 PM
If I were old enough, I would be honored to buy you a beer.

P.S. Why is everyone calling me a poolee? :confused:

Just kind of becomes a habit around here. We usually assume you are a poolee or will be soon.

HLeyb
03-14-07, 10:41 PM
I sort of have a story related to this. My brother graduated P.I on February 9th, and while there I visited the Corps Store and picked up some stuff, including a 3rd Recruit Traning Battalion Hoody. Well I was getting on the Staten Island Ferry wearing that sweatshirt after doing some weight training after class and some guy came right up to me and tapped me on the shoulder. He goes "Sorry bub, but I was just reading your sweatshirt, who do you know in the Marines?" I told him my brother graduated and I ship out the 28th of May, and he started to give me tons of tips, it turned out he was a Marine Vitenam Veteran. At first he was sort of frightening but after I saw his passion for the Corps, I quickly changed my mind. He was a Force Recon Marine, who happened to do DI duty, so right there in the middle of the Staten Island Ferry terminal he got in my face and started drilling me. It was amazing. Well the moral of this story to me is: Display your love for the Corps with pride.. just don't pose.

ssgtt32
03-14-07, 11:29 PM
OUTSTANDING Poolee HYleyb, i think you answered the question to this thread!
take care and good luck in your future endeavors!

SSgtt32

YLDNDN6
03-15-07, 06:30 AM
Whatever you do, though, DO NOT wear that hoodie to MCRD when you go!!! When you show up there, do not have ANYTHING Marine Corps on your body or you will be setting yourself up to become your Drill Instructors' favorite new chew toy. As Marines, we are all honored that you have chosen our Corps and are proud of your initiative, however, the depot is teeming with people who love to play games, and you don't want to call attention to yourself like that.

HLeyb
03-15-07, 07:47 AM
Whatever you do, though, DO NOT wear that hoodie to MCRD when you go!!! When you show up there, do not have ANYTHING Marine Corps on your body or you will be setting yourself up to become your Drill Instructors' favorite new chew toy. As Marines, we are all honored that you have chosen our Corps and are proud of your initiative, however, the depot is teeming with people who love to play games, and you don't want to call attention to yourself like that.

Yea my recruiter told me a story about some kid who wore a MARINE tee shirt and the DI started drilling him about "What you think you're a Marine already?"

semperfi170
03-15-07, 08:44 AM
:thumbup: I agree with the previous posts about displaying the bumper stickers and decals! It is good advertising and shows your pride in and appreciation of the Marine Corps:usmc:

Marine84,

Maybe they are trying to tell you something when they ask the question! Or they are just displaying their ignorance!!! Take your choice.:evilgrin:

Old Marine
03-15-07, 08:48 AM
There is nothing that says that you cannot paint your vehicle Scarlet and Gold and have the biggest Marine Corps Emblem painted on the hood or anywhere else on your vehicle. Great advertisement for the Marine Corps, and it happens to be your vehicle. Personally, I prefer not to put anything on my vehicles, except maybe a license plate frame.

STA0311
03-15-07, 09:36 AM
I say so what if you put a Marine Corps sticker on your car, or wear a shirt etc...But you better not get caught wearing or sporting on your car, something that you aren't, like a RECON sticker or some crap like that.

Marine84
03-15-07, 11:01 AM
Marine84,

Maybe they are trying to tell you something when they ask the question! Or they are just displaying their ignorance!!! Take your choice.:evilgrin:

Yeah like I look too much like a WOMAN to do have attempted it much less BE ONE!

ggyoung
03-15-07, 11:21 AM
HLeyb+++++++++++++++Watch out for "Force Recon" typs. I wear my 3 Marine Division Vietnam Veteran a lot. There are a lot of guys who tell me they were Force in Vietnam. At that rate Force would have to be at least regament size.

YLDNDN6
03-15-07, 02:15 PM
Yeah, we've all met those guys who served in Wang Chung, or Plum Dum or Pow Wow with some secret unit that wouldn't show up in their SRB. You just have to smile, nod yer head, and say "UH-huh" a lot.

HLeyb
03-15-07, 04:15 PM
hahah, could've been a Reconabee, but he was funny none the less and really loved his Corps.

And yea, I just "Yes-Sir'd" him a lot.

Master Sephiroth
03-15-07, 04:29 PM
Our nation is at war there are many in our own country that dispise us so I would be flattered. If I saw your vehicle I would consider you a friend and patriot.

Jim

Most people I talked to say otherwise. They don't despise our men and women in uniform, in fact they support them wholeheartedly. They just hate the war and the Bush Administration.

Anyway, moving off of politics. Wearing a Marine t-shirt or putting a bumper sticker on your car doesn't necessarily mean you're saying you're a Marine. It means you support the Corps and are proud to be able to serve in it one day.

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-15-07, 05:59 PM
It is not possible to support the troops without supporting their mission. Don't let them trick you into thinking anything else.

Soon2BeVIP
03-15-07, 10:31 PM
On a ten minute car ride to school every morning occasionally I'll see one Army of one sticker or something, but I usually see 5 USMC stickers. I love it

Curt Geezus
03-16-07, 12:55 PM
I always thought it was funny when I would see other poolees with 5 or so Marine stickers on their car, but it is showing support so I can't really complain. I used to not even wear my Marine shirts around because I thought it was posing, but it is really just showing your support for Marines and your country. It is also a good conversation starter with other people who might be interested in joining.

gunnysgt69
03-16-07, 02:11 PM
yea.. put it on your truck its fine your just showing that you support the corps