PDA

View Full Version : 1st RTBn. Storms Ft. Sumter for Civil War PME

thedrifter
02-20-03, 01:21 PM
http://www.military.com/pics/usmc2_021403.jpg
Marines from Headquarters Co., 1st RTBn., take down the garrison flag flying above Ft. Sumter, S.C., Jan. 10. The Marines took part in a historical PME, visiting the sites of five different Civil War battles. Photo by: Cpl. Eric R. Lucero

Marine Corps News
February 14, 2003

MCRD PARRIS ISLAND, S.C. -- Two hundred and forty six years after the first shot of the Civil War, the city of Charleston, S.C., once again played host to the United States Marine Corps as members of Headquarters Co., 1st RTBn., visited various battlegrounds for a historical professional military education.

Approximately 30 Marines from the battalion departed the Depot in the early morning hours of Jan. 10, to start what turned out to be an all day training event.

Captain Dennis A. Sanchez, S-3 officer for 1st RTBn., viewed the PME, which lasted approximately 16 hours and covered five different stops, as an invaluable experience.

"I really wanted to get my Marines out of the office for a different sort of PME," said Sanchez. "Changing the training environment really helps to keep Marines' interests.

"I know they gained a lot from the trip."

The idea for the trip stemmed from an earlier PME visit to Charleston while Sanchez was serving as executive officer for Delta Co., 1st RTBn. in 2000. Late last year, the idea resurfaced and after three and a half months of planning, the Marines headed out.

"It took a lot of work planning this out," said Sanchez. "I wanted everything to go well, for the Marines to really appreciate it."

Along with the 30 or so Marines, Sanchez also brought three historians, most notably Dr. Stephen Wise, curator of the Parris Island Museum, to lead the tour of the Charleston area.

Although many of the battle dates and most of the names may still escape the Marines, the basic information gained was immense.

"I don't know how the historians keep track of all the dates, names and places," said Staff Sgt. Andrew J. Yousse, a Marine with 1st RTBn. "I guess you really have to be passionate about your line of work."

The historians led the Marines through tours of James Island, where many say the first shot of the Civil War was fired, Ft. Moultrie, Ft. Lamar, the Charleston Museum, and finally Ft. Sumter.

The highlight of the tours for the Marines came as they stepped onto Ft. Sumter; one of the few locations that has remained intact.

"The other sites were nice, but it changes everything when you can actually see what the historians are talking about," said Staff Sgt. Shawn L. Mitchell, operations chief, 1st RTBn.

At the end of the evening, the Marines were asked to take down the garrison flag that was flying over Ft. Sumter.

The site of the 20 Marines in civilian clothes drew the attention of the remaining crowd, and as they finished the job, one onlooker was overheard asking who "those people with the flag" were and what made them so special.

"They're Marines, said Anthony J. Stuart, a native of Boston. "With or without that flag, that makes them special."

After touring the various sites, the group headed for downtown Charleston, where they had dinner and spent a couple of hours relaxing after a long day of site seeing.

When all was said and done, the Marines boarded their vans and made their way back to the Depot with more than they left with.

"I know they took something away from this trip," said Sanchez. "Even if they don't remember most of the facts, they at least gained a new respect for the events that occurred there."

Sempers,

Roger