PDA

View Full Version : Physical Training

zackmerc
03-13-07, 09:39 PM
I am currently registered as a friend because I am in the process of getting into the DEP, I just need some things done.

I'd like to ask any Marine about PT during boot camp.

What is it you exactly do?
How long is it per day during the first several weeks of boot camp?
How much of it is running?
What exercises do you do? Do you do sit-ups and push-ups until you literally pass out?

I have so many questions.

How is the IST done? Do you run around tracks for a mile and a half or do you run around the base?

Any Marines or commentors that will put mean or rude comments, please keep it to yourself.

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-13-07, 10:00 PM
PT is usually three times a week. You do some exercises and then go for a run on most occasions. IT (or IPT) is when you are "punished" and can happen every day, or several times a day, if needed. As for what you do, use your imagination.

For the IST you'll do your pull ups and crunches and then run a set course. I don't know how it works at PI, but in San Diego you run out and then along the fence that seperates the base from the airport. You will turn around and run back the same way you came, ending at the starting point.

Now, fill out your profile or your post will be deleted. The rules are easy to understand here, and you are expected to follow them. Read them and do what they say.

slowrider
03-13-07, 11:08 PM
PT is usually three times a week. You do some exercises and then go for a run on most occasions. IT (or IPT) is when you are "punished" and can happen every day, or several times a day, if needed. As for what you do, use your imagination.

For the IST you'll do your pull ups and crunches and then run a set course. I don't know how it works at PI, but in San Diego you run out and then along the fence that seperates the base from the airport. You will turn around and run back the same way you came, ending at the starting point.

Now, fill out your profile or your post will be deleted. The rules are easy to understand here, and you are expected to follow them. Read them and do what they say.

Your right on track, It works the same way on the Island,
Semper Fi Bro.

DevilDogHEMech
03-18-07, 08:37 AM
Some of the PT and IT sessions will be memorable for sure, but if you come well prepared you will do okay. Hell, some of the stuff I did as a varsity wrestler was physically harder than anything the Marine Corps has made me do. Start building up the proper motivation level now, before they do it for you.

Marine84
03-18-07, 10:51 AM
Any Marines or commentors that will put mean or rude comments, please keep it to yourself.

Try THIS when you get to MCRD - make sure you add that you would REALLY not rather hear it.

PT is what it is - you will run, jump, sit up, run some more, blah, blah, blah AND it will be an EVERY DAY thing. None of us can prepare you for it no matter what we tell you. And, yes, some have literally passed out from it. They aren't going to have you do MORE than you can handle.

davblay
03-18-07, 11:09 AM
Yeah, when you get to MCRD just go to the DI's and tell them that you don't want to hear anything mean or rude! They will understand and they will respect you for being up front with them, ;).

They are very understanding people!! RIGHT!!!! :evilgrin:

Good luck, because nothing can prepare you for what you are about to encounter! Just SUCK IT UP and GRIT YOUR TEETH and OVERCOME!

zackmerc
03-18-07, 11:53 AM
Hahahahaha DAVBLAY
I'm THAT stupid to think drill instructors are nice people.
I put that little comment on the last line so people don't go around clouding this thread with stupid answers. I encouter sh*t all the time and chug it down my throat.

yellowwing
03-18-07, 02:10 PM
Hahahahaha DAVBLAY
I'm THAT stupid to think drill instructors are nice people.
I put that little comment on the last line so people don't go around clouding this thread with stupid answers. I encouter sh*t all the time and chug it down my throat.
Dude, provocating some of the fiercest warriors that ever walked the earth is bound to illicit a negative response.

The harshest Van Nuys hood ain't nothing compared to Ramadi. You propose to talk to us about stupid? :banana:

If you got the guts to sign up and step onto the bus we shall see if you are the type that will quit on us in a tight spot. If you get your mind right we'll help you through and beyond every step of the way.

I walked through a mall last Friday, full of high school kids. I saw so very few that even had the look to give it a shot at being Marine Corps Material.

Even if you want to sign up, you got a few more b*lls than most. We will be waiting!

zackmerc
03-18-07, 02:21 PM
Yellowwing

I was not trying to offend DAVBLAY. He is a Vietnam veteran and a Marine. I was simply telling him that I know drill instructors are tough men who are something I never imagined to be. He wanted to tell me not to be a crybaby and I am not. I am not talking about Ramadi or Fallujah. Those are battlefields and I sure as hell don't have a clue about what goes on there. I have seen news footages and that's all I know about what chaos and bloodshed is there.

The sh*t that DAVBLAY was telling about was general life. He is just telling me not to be a sore loser or some idiot over lame or offensive responses. I understood him and I was telling him that I am not some idiot or loser.

Yes, I am finalizing my DEP soon. I have the b*lls to sign applications but I don't know if I have the physical strength yet. I am working my *ss off for that right now because I am NOT underestimating boot camp! I am trying to focus on my goal and trying everything!

yellowwing
03-18-07, 02:25 PM
Good! The body is one thing, are you ready in your heart to do whatever it takes?

zackmerc
03-18-07, 02:35 PM
My heart is the one that told me join the Few, The Proud, The Marines

yellowwing
03-18-07, 02:45 PM
That is what we want in Our Beloved Corps. America gives us the toughest jobs, and we never let her down. Take a look at the news from Iraq and Afghanistan. Its not new to us. WE NEVER QUIT. Never have, never will.

Marine84
03-18-07, 02:53 PM
You BETTER have it in your heart - contrary to popular belief, bootcamp is more mental than anything. There will be times when you want to say "the hell with THIS" but, if it ain't in your heart, you ain't gonna make it. You will have to leave whatever attitude you've grown into up to this point in your life and leave it on the freakin' bus/plane/train/bike/donkey you take to get there. There will be no TV, no taking your sweet a$$ time about doing something, no phone, no music, and the ONLY communication you'll have with the outside world will be through snail mail.

When you sign on that dotted line you sign your rights (as you know them) away - meaning it does not mean a hill of beans in the grand scheme of things WHAT you WANT to hear or what you think about something. You are expected to move when told to move and do what you've been instructed to do - nobody really cares what you think therfore you are not asked. If you aren't ASKED (therfore requiring YOU to part your lips and utter an answer), there is no reason for you to open your mouth.

Can you handle THAT? If you have a problem with any of it but, still want to join a branch of the military, I would suggest choosing one of the other ones and not the Marine Corps.

zackmerc
03-18-07, 03:02 PM
I have no problem with total obedience. I do not watch TV or listen to the radio or play video games. I can't afford them anyways. I hardly ever talk and I am someone who would be too scared of his superiors (especially Drill Instructors) to make any attempt to protest. Disobdience and discipline will NOT be a problem. The only problem is running and I am trying to fix that.

NO! I will never join any other branches! Army is inferior. Air Force is a joke. Navy is good but not quite enough.

SkilletsUSMC
03-18-07, 03:07 PM

Well Its all spilled milk now, but here is a way to say the same thing with some TACT...

I know some of you like to joke arround, but I am new and dont understand when youre being serrious or not. I am in need of serrious information, so all help is much appreciated

TACT is going to get you places in the Marine Corps, lack there of is going to get you in to a heap of trouble.

zackmerc
03-18-07, 03:10 PM
Well that's behind us. I shouldn't have put that up there anyways.

SkilletsUSMC
03-18-07, 03:20 PM
Well that's behind us. I shouldn't have put that up there anyways.

I'll tell you when its behind us. You dont get the last word WANNABE. Understood?

zackmerc
03-18-07, 03:22 PM
Isn't TACT one of the leadership qualities? Crap I should learn that.

SkilletsUSMC
03-18-07, 03:24 PM
Isn't TACT one of the leadership qualities? Crap I should learn that.

There ya go... :D

yellowwing
03-18-07, 03:28 PM
If you graduate and earn the Eagle Globe and Anchor you will learn how to be effective and life changing in the job that is supervising you. <br />
<br />
Look at Christopher Adlesperger, he was an E-2 Private...

davblay
03-18-07, 04:17 PM
Ok Marines, I think Zack got the message! Right POOLEE?

Good luck Zack and remember what I said, MIND OVER MATTER! The MArines don't mind, and you don't matter! Run that three miles!:yes: