PDA

View Full Version : Optics Marines keep eyes on target

thedrifter
03-13-07, 10:25 AM
Optics Marines keep eyes on target
By Lance Cpl. Thomas J. Griffith: 2nd Marine Logistics Group

AL TAQADDUM, Iraq - Marines across Iraq's Al Anbar Province are always on the lookout for signs of danger. However, without the assistance they receive from a small group of maintenance Marines here, they would at times have trouble seeing anything at all.

The optics section of Electronics Maintenance Platoon, 2nd Maint. Battalion (-) Reinforced, 2nd Marine Logistics Group (Forward) repairs anything from a light armored vehicle's targeting system to a rifle's advanced combat optical gunsight.

“We keep the war-fighter in the fight,” said Gunnery Sgt. Dale A. Frerich, the optics chief for the section.

“We allow Marines to fight at night,” he added in reference to the night vision equipment and thermal imaging systems the section works on. “Without this capability, Marines cannot detect and engage with the enemy. It's our responsibility to make sure they can do this every time.”

The platoon provides support for LAVs, tank equipment, amphibious assault vehicles, thermal and passive night vision equipment, artillery firing systems, rifle combat optics and much more.

In a day, the optics shop receives five to six pieces of gear to fix, explained Frerich.

“We do an initial inspection on the gear and determine if we can repair it right away or if we need to order parts,” the Wichita Falls, Texas, native said.

The gear comes from all over Al Anbar Province, explained Cpl. Zachary Murray, an optical repair technician and section floor chief.

“Everything we work on is based upon being able to see or aim,” said Murray.

Murray, who was based out of Fallujah during his last deployment, said some gear cannot be fixed in the other areas because they do not have the proper testing equipment.

“We also support Fallujah, Al Asad, Camp Blue Diamond, Ramadi and others with things they cannot support,” said the Greensboro, N.C., native.

The Marines in the section express their enthusiasm about the job they are doing despite the amount of responsibility that comes along with the workload.

“I think we're out here for a worthy cause,” said Lance Cpl. Carla S. Winn, an optics technician and Lancaster, S.C., native. “If the gunner's gear out there breaks, we have nothing to fight with. We have to get that back out to them as soon as possible.”

For Murray, supporting those who are in direct contact with the enemy is the most rewarding aspect of his job.

“My favorite part, especially since being in Iraq, is being able to get the gear to the people actually on the front lines,” he said.

Besides giving Marines the ability to fight on different platforms, the optics Marines also support the Iraqi army.

“All captured weapons come through me,” said Frerich. “I inventory them, do a functionality check and I determine what's good or bad. All the good ones are turned over to the Iraqi army.”

Frerich said he and the rest of the optics Marines realize the importance of their job and that he is proud of the quality of their work.

“If we don't keep our high standard of excellence in repairing equipment, then we failed our mission,” said Frerich. “Failure is not an option, we will fix their gear. The trigger pullers will be able to fight and they will be able to come home just as safe as when they left.”

Ellie