PDA

View Full Version : Canada Post searching for missing WWII medals

thedrifter
03-13-07, 08:24 AM
Canada Post searching for missing WWII medals
CTV.ca News Staff

Updated: Mon. Mar. 12 2007 11:03 PM ET

Canada Post is investigating after a decorated veteran of the Second World War lost his medals in the mail, when he tried to send them to his daughter in California.

Russell Farrell, who served with the U.S. Marines and now lives in Digby, N.S., endured some of the most intense fighting of the war.

Farrell's unit had barely arrived on a beach in Guam when his captain was killed and he was injured.

"I got halfway up the hill when I got hit in this leg and it opened up," he said, showing his left knee. "But I don't know if it was a bullet or shrapnel."

After Farrell recovered, he rejoined his unit for one of the fiercest fights the Marines have ever seen: the battle of Iwo Jima.

Farrell also remembers seeing the American flag famously hoisted on the Japanese island's highest point, and captured in an Associated Press photograph.

The 86-year-old veteran said the flag offered a glimpse of hope.

"I looked back and I saw the flag flying from Mount Suribachi, and I was glad of that. Because it meant you weren't going to get any more heavy fire from there," Farrell told CTV Atlantic.

Farrell suffered two more wounds during the war, earning him several military decorations for his courage, including two Purple Hearts.

Last month, Farrell decided to send six medals and several war photographs to his daughter Judy Farrell in California.

He carefully marked the package "Medals and Photographs" and had the items registered and insured.

But the medals never arrived at their destination; only ribbons and pictures.

"When I opened the box, I could see the frame and medals were gone," said Judy Farrell by phone. "I was devastated; I was heartbroken."

Post offices on both sides of the border are investigating what happened, although there is nothing on the medals to link them specifically to Farrell.

"The investigation started this morning," said Canada Post spokesperson Genevieve Latour.

The apparent theft has shocked Farrell.

"I was disappointed that someone would actually steal something like that," said Farrell.

With a report by CTV Atlantic's Rick Grant

Ellie