PDA

View Full Version : Gen. Pace calls homosexuality immoral

thedrifter
03-13-07, 06:07 AM
Gen. Pace calls homosexuality immoral <br />
<br />
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said Monday he considers homosexuality to be immoral and the military should not condone it by...

killerinstinct
03-13-07, 08:10 AM
HAHA well i dont see that **** passing look at california where they passed an amendment against recognizing gay marriage and its considered by many to be liberal..

LOL some peeps need to not worry about bull****.. if they want to do something good how bout increasing pay or not cutting funding.. why is the most insignificant **** taking priority?? I am not trying to undermine anyones beliefs but god damn. worrying about this and still trying to pass a bill to cut off funding to the troops???

There needs to be more veterans in congress.. better yet just more Marines

thedrifter
03-13-07, 08:56 AM
Gay Advocates Demand Apology From Pace <br />
<br />
By PAULINE JELINEK <br />
The Associated Press <br />
Tuesday, March 13, 2007; 9:15 AM <br />
<br />
WASHINGTON -- A gay advocacy group Tuesday demanded an apology from the...

thedrifter
03-13-07, 10:09 AM
Pace draws fire over comments on gays <br />
<br />
By Pauline Jelinek - The Associated Press <br />
Posted : Tuesday Mar 13, 2007 10:43:12 EDT <br />
<br />
A gay advocacy group Tuesday demanded an apology from the Pentagon’s...

HOLM
03-13-07, 10:21 AM
What is the number.. Like 3% or so of this country claims to be gay...

I could really care less about hurting their feelings. Flipping through prime time TV the other night and saw two men kissing again... I am trying to raise a family and I find it to be disrespectful and disgusting... I don't want to have to tell anyone how to run thier life... But I don't have to go down the street telling the world I like women..

Why do they have to base their entre life on their sexual orientation??
It's perfeclty OK to be gay and call someone a bigot for saying its WRONG... But not OK for a good family man..... AHH never mind...

They start giving a sh!t about any thing other than themselves... And maybe I might listen... Instead of teaching kids to aspire to be something and really do something with their life.. Lets teach them that if they are not in a minority.. Well then.... just create one.. That way you can be a victim like everbody else...

There is something seriously wrong with that.....

rktect3j
03-13-07, 10:37 AM
Aides: Pace won't apologize for gay remark By PAULINE JELINEK, Associated Press Writer <br />
47 minutes ago <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Senior aides to the chairman of the military Joint Chiefs of Staff said Tuesday that...

rktect3j
03-13-07, 10:38 AM
I don't know where they get the 65,000 number. Who made that up?

yellowwing
03-13-07, 10:47 AM
Gay Advocates Demand Apology From Pace
I don't see that happening! :banana:

alberttrumps
03-13-07, 10:55 AM
WAKE UP AMERICA! Didn't we learn anything from Zatzi Germany. The radical gay agenda and powerful propaganda machine is steam rolling over our traditional value system. The same values that we as Marines, our mothers and fathers, grandmothers and grandfathers, have fought so hard to preserve. Anyone who speaks out against this behavior is labeled a Neanderthal or hate-monger. General Pace is entitled to his own opinion just the same as those gay activist who parade around force-feeding our children their "anything goes" agenda on the news and on the idiot box every night. To try to classify this behavior as a race is ridiculous and an insult to every true race group that exist.
:flag:

thedrifter
03-13-07, 11:27 AM
I don't know where they get the 65,000 number. Who made that up?

outrageous, insensitive and disrespectful to the 65,000 lesbian and gay troops
A number pulled straight out of thin air.;)

I believe General Pace has a Right to Expression of his personal opinion

Ellie

Integrity57
03-13-07, 11:36 AM
No disrespect intended here but, why doesn't General Pace worry more about the Marine Corps helicopters being shot out of the sky in Iraq and the 5.56 mm round that doesn't seem to be doing such a great job of putting down insurgents that are high on adrenalin and other such drugs? I guess he thought his opinion on gays and lesbians was so important that the whole nation needed to hear it.

yellowwing
03-13-07, 11:45 AM
Well for one, this is a more sensational story. It grips and has traction in the news cycle.

For another, we've spent 12.5 million on a campaign for Insurgents to Just Say No.

SkilletsUSMC
03-13-07, 12:17 PM
No disrespect intended here but, why doesn't General Pace worry more about the Marine Corps helicopters being shot out of the sky in Iraq and the 5.56 mm round that doesn't seem to be doing such a great job of putting down insurgents that are high on adrenalin and other such drugs? I guess he thought his opinion on gays and lesbians was so important that the whole nation needed to hear it.

Maybe because he knows that if we have open homo-faggotry in the ranks, morale will plummet, and combat effectiveness will be GONE. Dont believe the hype. 0.0000000001% of active infantry Marines support homosexuality. atleast the ones I know, and that is a large group BTW... We have talked about this, and it is one of the major reasons Marines are NOT re-enlisting.

You may not believe this, but a gay "Marine's" life would be at danger at all times. They had better be careful of what they ask for.

Im sick of the people trying to enforce thier liberal politics into military. The military is by nature a meritocracy, and progresive values have no place.

thedrifter
03-13-07, 01:57 PM
Advocacy group assails Pace comments on gays <br />
<br />
By William H. McMichael - Staff writer <br />
Posted : Tuesday Mar 13, 2007 13:35:53 EDT <br />
<br />
By calling homosexuality “immoral,” the U.S. military’s top...

thedrifter
03-13-07, 02:35 PM
Tuesday, Mar. 13, 2007 <br />
Reexamining &quot;Don't Ask, Don't Tell&quot; <br />
By Mark Thompson/Washington <br />
<br />
Amid the turmoil of the Iraq war and the scandal at Walter Reed, the last thing the nation's top military...

hankhoffman
03-13-07, 02:36 PM
Damn he hurt someones feelings!!!! What a bunch of bull. What a person has free speech as long as no ones feeling are hurt. Grow up, stand up for what you feel is right and who cares what others think. That is why we can vote.

gwladgarwr
03-13-07, 03:14 PM
Damn he hurt someones feelings!!!! What a bunch of bull. What a person has free speech as long as no ones feeling are hurt. Grow up, stand up for what you feel is right and who cares what others think. That is why we can vote.

Sure, everyone is entitled to an opinion, and this country is the epitome of unfettered opinion (just look at Ann Coulter.)

However, some people have pointed out that as Chairman of the JCS, representing the highest-ranked commissioned officers of all the uniformed services, as a four-star general who reports to and serves at the pleasure of the Commander-in-Chief in a very public capacity, offering his personal opinion is not only irrelevant but could be considered highly improper, regardless of what the topic of discussion is. He is in a position to influence policy, public opinion, and most of all, troop morale. The important thing to remember is that his words carry a LOT of weight and clout within and outside of the military establishment.

If he is speaking on behalf of the administration, the Marine Corps, or the DoD - that would be a different matter. However, he spoke as an individual in a public forum and offered his unsolicited opinion on a particular subject. In and of itself not much of an issue, but he did so in uniform, AND, in doing so, many may take his opinion as official government or DoD policy (which it is not). Furthermore, some may say that this is not merely a matter of the feelings of a few being hurt - his words may be construed as inferring that the United States is in the business of dictating and legislating morality, and favoring one view of "morality" over another, particularly in the Armed Forces.

I don't particularly care what the general says in public - I have no problem whatsoever with his airing of his own personal views, regardless of the topic and regardless of my own take on the issue. However, those in positions of extremely high authority who are often in the public eye (and the political arena) may take into consideration that a simple gut-reaction remark can cut a wide swath through the American public.:flag:

Zulu 36
03-13-07, 04:54 PM
If you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question.

MP5811
03-13-07, 07:01 PM
I applaud Gen Pace for saying what he feels. I also hope he doesnt apologize for his remarks. Everytime someone says something that the faggots dont like they want a damn apology. Thats bull****. I wouldnt want to share a foxhole with a faggot. And Im sure there are not very many people that would. The military is no place for gays.

thedrifter
03-13-07, 07:13 PM
Pace clarifies comments on gays in uniform <br />
<br />
Posted : Tuesday Mar 13, 2007 16:19:28 EDT <br />
<br />
The U.S. military’s top officer came just short of issuing an...

thedrifter
03-13-07, 07:26 PM
Top general regrets gay remark <br />
March 13, 2007 <br />
From the Associated Press <br />
<br />
HINGTON -- The Pentagon's top general expressed regret today that he called homosexual acts immoral, a remark that drew a...

usmcmule
03-13-07, 07:28 PM
A BIG SALUTE to General Pace!!!
I don't look for homosexuals, don't wan't to know, but if I find out then my attitute is at the least, negative toward them!! America free speach, if General Pace is quoted speaking his opinion that's the presses problem they picked his opinion on this subject to make a big deal out of. The press sucks, picking up on little things and blowing them out of proportion to make sales of their writing and ratings on air and TV create $$$ in their pockets.

I agree with General Pace, lets see if I'm quoted by the press..... or am I to much a small fry....

FistFu68
03-13-07, 07:50 PM
:usmc: MAKE THAT MARINE~A FIVE STAR GENERAL :usmc:

RLeon
03-13-07, 08:16 PM
Is General Pace going to have to go to rehab like the guy on 'Gray's Anatomy'?

PerXes
03-13-07, 08:28 PM
You would think that if someone could know for sure that there were 65,000 gays and lesbians in the military, that there would be 0 shortly afterward...therefore, there are 0 gays and lesbians in the military to be offended.

alberttrumps
03-13-07, 09:21 PM
It would appear that the very same radical gay-activist I spoke of earlier, have infiltrated my beloved Marine Corps' web blog. Is there nothing sacred anymore? What's next, gays in the pulpit? Oh, I forgot, never mind.

thedrifter
03-14-07, 07:11 AM
General says he regrets remarks on gays
But the chairman of the Joint Chiefs doesn't apologize for calling homosexual acts 'immoral.'
By William Neikirk and Karoun Demirjian, Chicago Tribune
March 14, 2007

WASHINGTON — Marine Gen. Peter Pace, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, expressed mild regret Tuesday for calling homosexual acts "immoral," but he stopped short of an apology as gay rights groups and a powerful Republican senator rebuked him for the comments.

As critics fired rhetorical volleys, Pace issued a statement expressing regret that he had put so much stress on the morality issue when he defended the Pentagon's "don't ask, don't tell" ban on gays serving openly in the military during a Monday interview with the Chicago Tribune's editorial board.

"In expressing my support for the current policy, I also offered some personal opinions about moral conduct," Pace said in his statement. "I should have focused more on my support of the policy and less on my personal moral views."

But this statement did not mollify critics who called the general's remarks insensitive and outrageous and said he should apologize.

Pace's comments drew wide attention on television, radio and the Internet and showed how sensitive the Pentagon's policy has become. His senior staff members said he was expressing personal views and did not intend to apologize.

Still, the incident provided a strong hint that Congress might hold hearings this year on the "don't ask, don't tell" policy approved during the Clinton administration, which allows gays to serve in the military as long as they do not disclose their sexual orientation.

That clue came when Sen. John W. Warner (R-Va.), a senior member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, took issue with the general.

"I respectfully but strongly disagree with the chairman's view that homosexuality is immoral," Warner said. "In keeping with my long-standing respect for the Armed Services Committee hearing process, I will decline to comment on the current policy until after such hearings are held."

Committee Chairman Carl Levin (D-Mich.), who has the right to call hearings, had no comment on Pace's remarks. A spokeswoman said no decision had been made on whether to hold hearings on the "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Repeal of the ban on gays who acknowledge their sexual orientation and serve in the military would be highly controversial. Democratic presidential candidates such as Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York and Barack Obama of Illinois and former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina favor a repeal, whereas GOP contenders such as Sen. John McCain of Arizona and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney would maintain the policy.

An Obama spokeswoman said the senator agreed with retired Army Gen. John M. Shalikashvili, former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, who wrote recently that he favored the repeal because the military was having a tough time recruiting and training troops.

New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, another Democrat seeking the presidency, called Pace's comments unfortunate and said the administration should reject them.

Sen. Christopher J. Dodd (D-Conn.), also a presidential contender, said, "Gen. Pace's comments were completely out of line. Many gay and lesbian members of our military have served their country honorably over the years, and I find it outrageous that at a time when we need as many good people serving in the military as possible, we are still talking about excluding people based on their sexual orientation."

Legislation to repeal the "don't ask, don't tell" policy has been introduced in the House by Rep. Martin T. Meehan (D-Mass.), and it has more than 100 co-sponsors.

Meehan said Tuesday that Pace's comments were not in line with those of a majority of the public or the military, and that sentiment for repeal "is strong and growing," according to the Associated Press.

Servicemembers Legal Defense Network, an advocacy group that has represented homosexuals dismissed from the military, said, "Pace's comments are outrageous, insensitive and disrespectful to the 65,000 lesbian and gay troops now serving in our armed forces."

Eric Alva, spokesman for the Human Rights Campaign, a civil rights group supporting gay rights, said, "This policy — and Gen. Pace's bigotry — is outdated, unnecessary and counter to the same American values our soldiers are giving their lives for each and every day."

In the Tribune interview, Pace said his views were based on his upbringing.

"I believe homosexual acts between two individuals are immoral and that we should not condone immoral acts," Pace told the Tribune editorial board. "I do not believe the United States is well served by a policy that says it is OK to be immoral in any way.

"As an individual, I would not want [acceptance of gay behavior] to be our policy, just like I would not want it to be our policy that if we were to find out that so-and-so was sleeping with somebody else's wife, that we would just look the other way, which we do not," he said. "We prosecute that kind of immoral behavior."

Although his senior staff made clear Tuesday that Pace would not apologize for the remarks, the general issued his statement in an effort to downplay them and declare that he should have discussed policy and not his opinion.

"People have a wide range of opinions on this sensitive subject," he said. "The important thing to remember is that we have a policy in effect, and the Department of Defense has a statutory responsibility to implement that policy."

The general added: "I made two points in support of the policy during the interview. One, 'don't ask, don't tell' allows individuals to serve this nation, and two, it does not make a judgment about the morality of individual acts."

Ellie

maverickmarine
03-14-07, 07:22 AM
I think he's outfreakinstanding! Not only for saying that but for not backing down from what he said as well.

Old Marine
03-14-07, 07:46 AM
"pace For President" 2008

Mike McIntyre
03-14-07, 10:13 AM
Pace has every right to answer the question that he was ASKED. I get sick and tired of people telling you what they think you WANT to hear.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
On a practical note, who wants to shower with a homosexual? Then why can’t the straight troops (Male & Female) shower and bunk together?
<o:p></o:p>
I think we need a gay “Brigade” 65,000 strong. They can be called, “The Fighting Fuchsia”. Their Special Ops, “The Rainbow Warriors”. And their slogan, “Leave No Man’s Behind!”

thedrifter
03-14-07, 10:39 AM
Pace clarifies comments on gays in uniform <br />
<br />
Posted : Wednesday Mar 14, 2007 10:33:56 EDT <br />
<br />
The U.S. military’s top officer came just short of issuing an...

semperfi170
03-14-07, 10:55 AM
General Pace is entitled to his opinion based on his upbringing and beliefs. I do not believe he should apologize for what he said. We have a very vocal minority who have been pandered by the ACLU and the rest of the liberals. We are a Christian country and our basic documents and beliefs are based on the Judeo-Christian ethic. Nowhere, in the Old or New Testaments or other Bible writings have I found that homosexuality is approved of. It is condemned as being immoral and against God's laws. :)

sgtofrifleman
03-14-07, 11:19 AM
They asked for his opinion and Gen. Pace gave not get over it. I have a feeling that the gay people that they are refering to were draft dodgers.

sgtofrifleman
03-14-07, 11:22 AM
General Pace gave an his opinion on the question he was asked. Now get over it. Here is my opinion about the press. The press suck ass now publish that in the newpaper, and file a complaint.

Mohala
03-14-07, 01:53 PM
Defense Leaders Express Support for ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ Policy <br />
<br />
By Kathleen T. Rhem and Jim Garamone <br />
American Forces Press Service <br />
<br />
WASHINGTON, March 13, 2007 – The top civilian and...