PDA

View Full Version : Shortening recruit training to 11 weeks?

Achped
03-13-07, 05:44 AM
Two Marines who just graduated Friday told me and my friends recruit training will be 11 weeks long (10 training weeks, 1 receiving) by the time we get there in June.

I can't find anything online about this though, has anyone else heard anything about it?

hawks
03-13-07, 07:43 AM
I'm slated to leave May 14th and I've heard my recruiters saying that I should be done by late July, which would be about 11 weeks. I think though it is just an honest mistake on their part and I'd get done 2 weeks later on August 11.

MGySgtSki
03-13-07, 10:32 AM
I'm slated to leave May 14th and I've heard my recruiters saying that I should be done by late July, which would be about 11 weeks. I think though it is just an honest mistake on their part and I'd get done 2 weeks later on August 11.

It's one of the options being tabled. Don't worry, if it happens, you'll make up the difference at SOI.

S/F

davblay
03-13-07, 10:48 AM
Well when I went thru BOOT in 1969. I only had 9 weeks! From 12May69 to 17jul69 with the first week being administration week! I guess that when the demand is greater, as in war, they cut the training time.? Anyways, You will still earn the title, believe me!!

Semper Fi

yellowwing
03-13-07, 11:30 AM
Damn straight! Even if they have two weeks less, Drill Instructors WILL NOT pass anyone that is not Marine Corps material! :evilgrin:

11 weeks is still plenty of time for them to strip away that nasty civilian shell and turn you into a warrior!

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-13-07, 01:13 PM
They'll tell you when to leave. You will be a basically trained Marine by that point. Don't worry about it too much.

SamJohnston
03-13-07, 01:31 PM
Wow, that would be kind of dissapointing if they did shorten it. I mean, I'd still go, but I'd prefer to be there for the full 13 weeks just like everyone before me. Why are they thinking about shortening it anyway?

SkilletsUSMC
03-13-07, 01:37 PM
Bootcamp should be 30 weeks like the Royal Marines... More focus on combat skills

davblay
03-13-07, 01:55 PM
Am I the only one that remembers the 9 weeks training during the Viet Nam war? I think all of us old SALTS know that during troubled times the Corps has to do what is best for the country and be able to relieve the grunts on the front, even if it means drill, our ways, into recruits in less time. it only makes it harder for the recruit, but they still get all the basic training they need to earn the title of MARINE! The recruits just have less "ME" time, they will improvise, adapt and overcome, right? No one gets the title until they earn it, be it 9 weeks, 11 weeks or the tratitional 13 weeks! PERIOD!

MGySgtSki
03-13-07, 02:04 PM
Am I the only one that remembers the 9 weeks training during the Viet Nam war? I think all of us old SALTS know that during troubled times the Corps has to do what is best for the country and be able to relieve the grunts on the front, even if it means drill, our ways, into recruits in less time. it only makes it harder for the recruit, but they still get all the basic training they need to earn the title of MARINE! The recruits just have less "ME" time, they will improvise, adapt and overcome, right? No one gets the title until they earn it, be it 9 weeks, 11 weeks or the tratitional 13 weeks! PERIOD!

I can tell you Marines and potential Marines that any change that may or may not happen with recruit training is in the interest of better training Marines, not an attempt to shorten the training pipeline and get Marines to units faster. It's a matter of where the entry level Marines are better served in learning those basic combat skills. There is a school of thought that SOI (via ITB and MCT) are much better suited to train Marines in combat skills and maybe that's where a week taken from recruit training should land.

Thoughts??

S/F

killerinstinct
03-13-07, 02:06 PM
you'll always here stuff like that as far as rumors.. to be honest 2 weeks isnt actual training anyways .. first is recieving and the last week is generally getting ready and doing moto runs and graduation stuff...

davblay
03-13-07, 02:10 PM
MSGTSKI, you just cleared up what I was trying to say! Thanks

sabbs88
03-13-07, 05:08 PM
did they cut out a whole week? team week perhaps? or did they possible shorten some parts.

watev it doesnt matter. bootcamp is bootcamp.

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-13-07, 05:15 PM
They can't cut out team week, those jobs have to be done. If you'll read the thread it is pretty clear that if it is cut in length, the time cut will come from the field training portion.

irizavrima
03-13-07, 06:53 PM
I found myself confused when consulting the MCRD official website regarding shipping and graduation dates. http://www.mcrdsd.usmc.mil/RTR/2007_grad_sched.htm.doc

If I am reading this correctly, it leads me to believe that either boot camp has shortened or that there was an error in the procuction of this document.

skoozi
03-13-07, 09:00 PM
I ship Sept 4 grad Nov 30. 12 weeks 3 days

Allen870922
03-14-07, 12:33 AM
They'll probably ditch A-Line and maybe some things for BWT.

But they'll probably make up for the shortend time by making the Crucible harder.

BrentAndrew
03-14-07, 05:10 AM
That schedule says the week I'm supposed to ship is "open".

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but that schedule looks a little phony and it still has 13 weeks for training.

BrentAndrew
03-14-07, 08:48 AM
ah thats for MCRD SD, but i still dont see anything about 11 weeks.

davblay
03-14-07, 11:40 AM
its amazing how many people can not do math! Makes you wonder how they passed the ASVAB!

BrentAndrew
03-14-07, 11:59 AM
its amazing how many people can not do math! Makes you wonder how they passed the ASVAB!

Then you should check my recruiters math!?! I was told I was KILO shipping may 29th and on MCRD PI KILO graduates Aug 24... Explain? If I count correctly thats 13 weeks.. NO?

osborned
03-14-07, 01:54 PM
Just to throw this in here, this is from the FAQ on the MCRD home page:

Q: How long is recruit training?
A: The recruit training cycle is 12 weeks long; however this doesn't include the recruits first week of in-processing and orientation, so the actual time recruits spend on MCRD San Diego is 13 weeks.

davblay
03-14-07, 02:28 PM
Then you should check my recruiters math!?! I was told I was KILO shipping may 29th and on MCRD PI KILO graduates Aug 24... Explain? If I count correctly thats 13 weeks.. NO?

If you'll look at the schedule thru the link made earlier, you'll see that all cycles are from 12 week 3 day to 12 weeks and 6 days long! I did not say that you were wrong Brent, I was making a point as to how easy people will start a rumor then other people will expand on it!! Get used to the mind games man, because your drill instructors are professional mind F***ers! :evilgrin: I am glad to see some of the poolees are being told right and can understand the facts. No need to sweat the small stuff man! BOOT CAMP will teach you that!

Be advised that I was not trying to confuse anyone, I simply wanted to test some of the poolees, and the information they are getting. It always amazes me how much bullcrap some people will believe. Just remember that BOOT CAMP will be an experience that you will never forget! That's why they make you wait until the end to get the title of MARINE! NO MATTER HOW LONG IT TAKES YOU TO FINISH!! OOOO-RAAA! ;)

Semper Fi