View Full Version : Hero's Farewell

thedrifter
03-13-07, 05:25 AM
Posted on Tue, Mar. 13, 2007

HERO'S FAREWELL
Eulogies flow for Tallmadge sailor who died in Iraq
By Jim Carney
Beacon Journal staff writer

Gus Dussel's farm, his John Deere tractor and a large American flag told the story of a community in mourning for Navy Hospitalman Lucas ``Luke'' Emch on Monday.

At the northwest corner of state Route 43 and Old Forge Road in Brimfield Township, Dussel and other family members watched as a hearse carrying the body of the 21-year-old Navy corpsman passed them on the way to Ohio Western Reserve National Cemetery in Rittman.

Dussel, 80, is a World War II veteran of the Army in the Philippines. On his green tractor were two small flags and a sign that read ``God Bless Luke From Dussel Farm.''

And next to the tractor on Old Forge Road, several people held a big American flag.

``It's sad,'' Dussel said. ``It brings back old memories.''

Emch, a 2004 Tallmadge High School graduate, was killed March 2 in a roadside bombing in Iraq.

He was the second from his alma mater to have been killed in Iraq. In 2005, Marine Lance Cpl. Daniel Nathan Deyarmin Jr., 22, a 2002 Tallmadge High graduate, was killed in the war.

Emch served in the Navy Reserve as a corpsman with Akron's Weapons Company Marine Reserve unit before going to active duty in the Navy.

His father, Wesley Emch, in a eulogy at the funeral in Tallmadge, talked about going to his son's bedroom after the family received news of his death.

There was a Ralph Nader poster there, as well as two Marine and two Navy SEAL posters, two pictures of the world and a U.S. map, the father said.

There was a pencil-drawn crucifix, a picture of Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre and books about the Navy and history and politics, Emch said.

His son, whom he described as a ``liberal Democrat,'' recently got a tattoo with the Latin words that mean ``strength with honor,'' his father said.

The younger Emch loved playing baseball and being on a team, which is one reason he joined the Navy, his father said.

``Luke was a patriot,'' Emch said. ``He loved, supported and defended his country.''

During calling hours Sunday, a group of elderly Marines walked in together and saluted his son's casket, Emch said.

``I cannot think of a greater honor,'' he said.

Marine Staff Sgt. Tony Leno, who served with Luke Emch in Iraq and was with him when he was killed, said Emch had saved his life just a few months earlier.

He told those at the funeral: ``I stand before you a lesser man'' because of the loss of Emch.

Leno called him ``our guardian angel.''

Corpsmen are Navy medics who serve with the Marines on the battlefield.

``I would like to publicly thank his parents for raising such a good man,'' Leno said.

He said the only reason he was speaking at the funeral was because of Emch's skills as a corpsman when he was injured.

``I owe my life to that man and his family,'' Leno said.

``I will always remember Luke as an opinionated, unselfish, courageous, funny man. My brother. My doc.''

Along the inner ring of Tallmadge Circle, from Southwest Avenue to East Avenue, the student body of Tallmadge Middle School stood in silence as the funeral procession left the Donovan Funeral Home.

Emch's mother, Julie, teaches math and science at the school.

One group of students displayed a sign that read ``Luke is Our Shooting Star.'' Others held flags. Many saluted or placed their hands over their hearts as the hearse drove by, passing under a 20-foot flag flown by a crane from Keller-Hall Inc.

Hundreds of others watched the procession with the students.

``I just felt I needed to be here just to give thanks,'' said Tallmadge resident SharonDuChene, who held a flag as the procession passed.

At the Brimfield Township intersection of Route 43 and Old Forge, the procession drove in front of the home of Harvey and Rita Barnett.

Harvey Barnett, 72, an Army veteran, knows what families go through during wartime. His grandson, Kyle Walter, served two tours in Iraq and two tours in Afghanistan.

As the procession slowly drove in front of the Barnett home, he lifted his right hand and saluted the fallen sailor.

``How many more?'' Barnett asked afterward. ``It's just a shame. So young.''
Jim Carney can be reached at 330-996-3576 or jcarney@thebeaconjournal.com.

Ellie