PDA

View Full Version : Any advice?

Ascott7555
03-12-07, 06:00 PM
Hi everyone, new to these forums. Anyway i'll get straight to the point.
I depped out in september and am leaving this sunday, with an open contract for Combat Engineer. I learned how to weld in High School, and am halfway through my degree from Columbus State University. I have always wanted be a Marine. Looking down the road 5 years from now, I will have completed my goal and will either stick in it for the long haul, or go back to the civilian world with a marketable skill.
Anyway after the past few months i've been reading alot about the Marine Corps and their history, and the closer I get to shipping out, the more I want to be a rifleman. It's complex, but thats just what I want to do. Should I hold out for an opening and switch, or stick with CE? Any advice would be welcome

Anyway the word Im getting from my recruiter is that there are no more Infantry slots open, but there is 'Security forces' slot open. How is that different from regular infantry? Apparently I would have to wait till this summer to get an infantry slot.

Also I hate to sound greedy here, but researching the National Guard and Army....those guys just throw money and incentives at you.

That being said, and yes this is coming from a nasty civilian POOL-(EE)
the army just seems weak in comparison. I submit this as proof...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6My6nJ786y8

I was given the 'Kicker' for the G.I bill. It end's up being like an extra 14,000 I will be given after my Active duty to pursue my education.( im guessing, haven't read th fine print yet), and no enlistment bonus. This seems to be fair enough to me. Any opinions?

Sgt Leprechaun
03-12-07, 06:49 PM
Stay away from the guard/Army. You'll be unhappy. That's a promise.

Trust me, you'll have plenty of trigger time as an Engineer. Stick with what you currently have.

Security Forces are a good gig, but only you can make the decision as to what you want to do.

YLDNDN6
03-12-07, 06:55 PM
With all due consideration for your present state of indecision, wanting to become a Marine is only about becoming a Marine...not about being a Marine rifleman, or a Marine Combat Engineer. Please understand that Marine Corps history has been written by EVERY Marine...from the rifleman, to the field sanitation engineer, to the company clerk, to the intel guys, to the pilots. Being part of the machine is what matters most. I wish you luck in making your decision, but don't lose sight of what is most important.

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-12-07, 08:45 PM
If you sign up to do security forces you will go to SOI, and then to Security Forces school. From there, you will be deployed somewhere and will provide security for something- in other words you'll be on guard duty. You will miss out on being a boot in the fleet (not a bad thing per se) and one deployment cycle. When you're done with security forces you will rotate to a regular infantry unit.

Of course, if you're wanting to be a high speed low drag type you could always request FAST on your dream sheet. If you get it, your life will be a little different.

DevilDogHEMech
03-18-07, 06:43 AM
Being a combat engineer isn't a bad MOS, I work with them. You'll still get lots of field time, do most of the same training as grunts, live with them a lot, but get to do some things they don't do...

Ascott7555
03-19-07, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the advice guys , it definately puts things in perspective. Branch was never an option for me, I wouldn't settle for anything less. Ya see I wanted to avoid being a POAG, but I guess that just comes with the territory. As long as I learn something valuable, and most importantly, get plenty of trigger time, I think thats the perfect MOS for me. Thanks, and wish me luck

killerinstinct
03-20-07, 08:28 AM
I depped out in september and am leaving this sunday, with an open contract for Combat Engineer. I learned how to weld in High School, and am halfway through my degree from Columbus State University. I have always wanted be a Marine. Looking down the road 5 years from now, I will have completed my goal and will either stick in it for the long haul, or go back to the civilian world with a marketable skill.
Anyway after the past few months i've been reading alot about the Marine Corps and their history, and the closer I get to shipping out, the more I want to be a rifleman. It's complex, but thats just what I want to do. Should I hold out for an opening and switch, or stick with CE? Any advice would be welcome

Anyway the word Im getting from my recruiter is that there are no more Infantry slots open, but there is 'Security forces' slot open. How is that different from regular infantry? Apparently I would have to wait till this summer to get an infantry slot.

Don't worry about not getting an 03 slot as a combat engineer you'll be right up there with them removing obstacles; i.g. mines.