PDA

View Full Version : Local activists plan war protest for Saturday

thedrifter
03-12-07, 05:08 PM
Local activists plan war protest for Saturday
By Margo Rutledge Kissell

Staff Writer
Monday, March 12, 2007

DAYTON — Local peace activists are planning a protest Saturday to mark the fourth anniversary of the war in Iraq.

The protest begins at 3 p.m. on the Second Street side of the Federal Building downtown. In the event of rain, it will be held at First Baptist Church of Dayton, 111 W. Monument Ave.

Gil O'Bryan, a Marine Corps veteran who served two tours in Iraq and is now against the war, will be the featured speaker.

O'Bryan of Huber Heights joined the Marines after the Sept. 11 attacks. The infantry assaultman returned home from his first tour in 2003 feeling proud and believing that he was making a difference.

But during his second tour in 2005 his attitude began changing.

"I really just started to see the war differently. I began to see the war more as a commercial endeavor," said O'Bryan, who is now going to Sinclair Community College on the G.I. Bill.

Other speakers include Media Jyawook, an Iraqi woman who lives locally; Gloria Leigh, Catholic educator and member of Military Families Speak Out; Steve Fryburg, director of the Dayton International Peace Museum and member of Veterans for Peace who recently visited Iran as part of a Fellowship for Reconciliation delegation; and Jim Lucas, member of September 11 Coalition, Dayton Peace Action and Veterans for Peace.

The event is sponsored by the American Friends Service Committee, Dayton Peace Action, Dayton Pledge of Resistance, Military Families Speak Out, September 11 Coalition and Veterans for Peace.

Margo Rutledge Kissell blogs about the war at www.DaytonDailyNews.com/homefront.

Ellie