PDA

View Full Version : Divers find missing Marine’s body

thedrifter
02-20-03, 06:27 AM
Divers find missing Marine’s body

Associated Press

TOKYO — A Marine who disappeared Monday while diving off Japan’s southern island of Okinawa was found dead Tuesday in an underwater cave.
The body of Sgt. Aaron Roepke, 24, was discovered by an Air Force diver, according to Okinawa prefecture spokesman Shinpachi Higashizato.

Roepke was based at Futenma Marine Corps Air Station in Okinawa. Higashizato did not know Roepke’s home town, but said he went missing Monday while diving with three others.

The others, also Marines, emerged from the underwater cave and returned to the surface when their air tanks were running low, according to Japan’s Kyodo news.

They then realized Roepke was not with them.

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press

Sempers,

Roger

virwar
02-20-03, 05:21 PM
Rule #1 in SCUBA diving: Never hold your breath

Rule #2 in SCUBA diving always stick with your buddy

Unfortunate and sad as all hell

Semper Fi. Dave

mrbsox
02-21-03, 08:01 AM
Cave diving (and wreck) is a VERY SPECALIZED activity. Not for the novice, or even advanced divers.

My guess is, they rented some local equipment, felt bullet proof, and went on an adventure.

WHEN YOU LET YOUR GUARD DOWN, IS WHEN YOU FUKC UP !!
WHEN YOU FEEL TOO CONFIDENT, IS WHEN YOU FUKC UP !!

Diving is a blast, a whole different world. But if you ARE NOT trained in something, DON'T try it.

virwar
02-21-03, 05:39 PM
Amen Sox. I'm a PADI Divemaster Candidate at my local shop. We're always preaching safety, but still have many assists under my belt with students and certified divers. I always try to pass along a saying amongst cave divers which goes "anyone can call off a dive at any time with no shame". It's a lot better to admit one's fear and abort than to end up like this young Marine. Another possiblity could have been entanglement. Terrible tragety any way you look at it. Semper Somber. Dave