PDA

View Full Version : Forest Service Uniforms made in Dominican Republic

sdk87to91
03-12-07, 02:12 PM
The protion of the Forest Service Uniform that I regularly buy with my uniform allowance are the Filed jeans and the field going shirt. They have been made in the USA up until now, This last set I got were made in the Dominican Republic. They are more wrinkly and the irish pennants are Awful when they arrive. It took me 2 hours per set to get them satisfactory for wearing to work.

Is this Capitalism or liberalism, or just Outsourcing?

what can we do about this trend.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-12-07, 05:40 PM
Outsourcing. Simply put, it's darn nigh impossible to get quality goods at reasonable (not CHEAP, but reasonable) prices in the United States anymore. Many reasons for this, not the least of which are labor unions and their incessant demands, thus pricing themselves, and their companies, out of the market.

ggyoung
03-13-07, 11:20 AM
sdk87to91++++++++++++++++++Range managment? Are you a tree huger?

ggyoung
03-13-07, 11:33 AM
Sgt Lep++++++++++++++++++The American worker would not have a damn thing, no vaction,no 40hr. work week, no benafits of any kind, low min. wage pay. All of these things were made posible by union men and women going on strick and suffering so that you could have the good things that you have today. When you go on your next vaction thank the unions. In the late 1800 hundreds your work day was 6 to 7 days a week. You would have 2 days off a year. 25 Dec. and 4 July. I am a proud member of local # 1769 United Mine Workers of America.

damba
03-13-07, 01:12 PM
Then how would you kindly explain the situation with the UAW? One might argue that they've cut their own throats, per se.

There was a time and a place for unions but it (unionization) is no longer necessary in many industries and is more often than not doing a disservice to the worker, quite opposite of the way it used to be. They are no longer part of the solution but often create additional economic problems that lead to companies resorting to additional outsourcing. (The corporations are no saints either, obviously!).

Sgt Lep++++++++++++++++++The American worker would not have a damn thing, no vaction,no 40hr. work week, no benafits of any kind, low min. wage pay. All of these things were made posible by union men and women going on strick and suffering so that you could have the good things that you have today. When you go on your next vaction thank the unions. In the late 1800 hundreds your work day was 6 to 7 days a week. You would have 2 days off a year. 25 Dec. and 4 July. I am a proud member of local # 1769 United Mine Workers of America.

damba
03-13-07, 01:20 PM
Agreed, not all of it can be blamed on unions.

Quite a lot is simply a natural economic occurrence. Capital moves to where labor and raw materials are cheaper. We used to build ships/make steel more prevalently in the U.S. but those industries have moved to Asia, closer to cheaper labor and iron ore required for production. At another point it might move again from Asia to Africa, etc. provided there is adequate supply of labor and raw materials. As a country's population becomes more educated and the economy grows you see less manufacturing and more white collar jobs that can generate more local wealth, which is why all outsourcing is not a bad thing.

If there's a particular product you aren't satisfied with start by writing a letter or calling the supplier or retailer. With a corporate purchase you will need to get someone higher up the food chain to do the same. That's the only way to make a dent in quality, or find another reputable supplier IME.

-damba

Outsourcing. Simply put, it's darn nigh impossible to get quality goods at reasonable (not CHEAP, but reasonable) prices in the United States anymore. Many reasons for this, not the least of which are labor unions and their incessant demands, thus pricing themselves, and their companies, out of the market.

davblay
03-13-07, 01:46 PM
It's easy to play the BLAM GAME. isn't it?

hankhoffman
03-13-07, 02:41 PM
I agree that it is more than just the Unions causing this problem. How about the profit for the stockholders and high pay of the CEO's. Some Unions due push for more then they should but management has the right to stand up to them.

ggyoung
03-13-07, 07:30 PM
You can go on the Manti La-Sal national forest and you will find that 95% of all pine trees are dead. The tree hugers eill not let them be loged (which is puting a lot of people out of work in a allready hard pressed area) The tree hugers will not let them spray the trees. Which I know works. In 1961-63 I sprayed for bark bettle on the north slops of the Uinta Mountains. The tree hugers here in Utah are not liked one bit. The same goes for the bunnie hugers. Remember lots of these people want our guns.

ggyoung
03-13-07, 07:37 PM
My oldst boy worked in a scab coal mine and never felt safe becouse there was no union for proction. This scab mine payed more than a UMWA mine. There benafits were not as good as a union mine. When I blew my back out and after 2 operations could not do any good the union got me a medical retirement. If not for the union I would not have a damn thing now.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-14-07, 06:30 AM
Some unions are good, and are needed and provide a useful service both to their members and to the community. THAT having been said, I stand by my original statement.

BTW, I too, belonged to several unions in my career, including being the president of a local at one time.

10thzodiac
03-14-07, 01:23 PM
Does anyone remember when it was disclosed that the Army Rangers "Black Berets" were made in Communist China ?

Outsourcing (?) A year ago when I was in Communist China [Beijing] I seen in a Department Store kiosk, brand new US Military items. They had plenty of brand new Marine Corps covers, jungle and desert with DOD tags. Need Captain Bars or maybe you fancy being a General !

Incidentally, we had Starbucks coffee of all places, the "Forbidden City" !

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/image.php?u=30296&dateline=1173896145&type=profile
<LABEL for=profilepic></LABEL>

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/18/bloomberg/bxstarbucks.php

10thzodiac
03-14-07, 01:40 PM
Sorry boss I thought we were talking about outsourcing, I see it is coal mining now. Or are you screwing with me ?

10thzodiac
03-14-07, 01:44 PM
Sorry boss I thought we were talking about outsourcing, I see it is coal mining now. Or are you screwing with me ?

ggyoung
03-14-07, 01:51 PM
10_________coal mining has a lot to do with the forest service. Lots of coal mines are on forest service ground. I know, Lets ban mining and let the bastards freez to death in the dark.

10thzodiac
03-14-07, 08:02 PM
10_________coal mining has a lot to do with the forest service. Lots of coal mines are on forest service ground. I know, Lets ban mining and let the bastards freez to death in the dark.

I was just trying to give some input on service uniforms (Forest Service Uniforms made in Dominican Republic (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43182)) not knocking your coal miner posts. Hells Bells, My Marine Grandfather WW I was a coal miner in Southern Illinois http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

SF

10thz http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/01.gif

sdk87to91
03-15-07, 12:07 PM
sdk87to91++++++++++++++++++Range managment? Are you a tree huger?

Not a Tree hugger, but a flower picker, cow counter, and weed wacker, etc... Middle man tween enviros and grazing permittees. We get it from both sides in the range management business.

drumcorpssnare
03-15-07, 12:26 PM
Hey guys, look on the bright side. At least Pelosi and the Hildabeast don't have the power to have our weapons manufacturing outsourced to Iran and Syria!!!:D
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

DWG
03-15-07, 12:32 PM
Hey guys, look on the bright side. At least Pelosi and the Hildabeast don't have the power to have our weapons manufacturing outsourced to Iran and Syria!!!:D

Just Egypt!

ggyoung
03-15-07, 01:35 PM
And the lowest bidder..

ggyoung
03-15-07, 01:41 PM
sdk87to91+++++++++I agree that you have a hard job. I have seen way to meany famileys go bankrup, people having to sell everything they have just to put food on the table becouse of the damn enverement polices. It's not right.

10thzodiac
03-15-07, 02:08 PM
Just Egypt!

Don't laugh about, "GE brings good things to life", they sold components to the Italian manufacture of land mines, who it turn sold those mines to Egypt, who in turn sold them to Saddam.

Do you remember our guys stepping on land mines in Vietnam with Motorola chips in them ? Motorola had a plant in China supplying those.

drumcorpssnare
03-15-07, 02:25 PM
Truth be known...there were Sioux at the Little Bighorn who were better armed than Custer's 7th!!!