PDA

View Full Version : Marines are big and mean....but what about the lean and mean ones?

Achped
03-12-07, 01:53 PM
Is there any way to put ON weight? I mean, I've filled out my body, I'm 6'4" and I dep'd in in July at 147, but am currently 170, but I'm still "skinny". How can I get "big"?

I've asked this before, and all I've ever heard my entire life is "Just eat more", but I don't think anyone (except skinny guys like me) understand how much we really do eat. My mom is italian, which equals pasta with meat balls every single night. My dad is a redneck. Eggs, bacon, and toast, every single morning. This doesn't include the myriad of stuff I eat in between. I average about 3000 calories a day, and these are nutritious calories, 600 of those aren't from one big mac. I seem to have plateaued. I don't really remember gaining weight, it seems they weighed me at MEPS, and 6 months later I was 170. But nothing has changed from when I started gaining weight, to now when I've stopped, I PT the same, eat the same, but I stopped gaining weight.

How can I pack on the pounds? I never run more than 3 miles because I don't want to lose weight (especially in my chicken legs), and I do pushups, pullups, crunches, etc whenever I get the chance, in class, at home, whenever (but I do be careful not to overtrain). I've "filled out" my body, but now I can't just grow. What am I doing wrong?

I've got 3 months before I leave for boot (Hopefully :scared:) and I'd like to be at the very least over 185 by the time I go. Thats 5 lbs a month. I can do it, right?

poolee18
03-12-07, 02:01 PM
Protein drinks will help use it three times a day. It should work i know does for my friends that played football.

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-12-07, 02:10 PM
Consume large amounts of protein and join a gym. Push ups and the like are great exercises, but you aren't going to get big doing them. You need to bench, squat, and dead lift.

killerinstinct
03-12-07, 02:13 PM
there are a lot of skinny Marines not all are big and buff. I saw a few fellow recruits in my platoon and they were big muscle guys and just couldn't run plus after the cycle they lost most of their muscle and became much leaner. Right now you should probably work on getting both your muscle strentgh and endurance up to help you suceed but don't try worrying too much on bulk as more than likely you will lose it since there isn't too many weights to lift.

poolee18
03-12-07, 02:15 PM
Consume large amounts of protein and join a gym. Push ups and the like are great exercises, but you aren't going to get big doing them. You need to bench, squat, and dead lift.

I did that constantly my junior year but when I started working i couldnt get to the gym any more

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-12-07, 02:17 PM
You have to set your priorities. I usually have to hit the gym in the morning before work. That means I'm there at 4:45 every morning. I'm sure you could do the same.

poolee18
03-12-07, 02:20 PM
I have school til 12:30 then I go to work come home do some homework and go to sleep. I try to run in the mornings if the weather is good

hawks
03-12-07, 02:32 PM
If you want to put on mass follow the Rippetoes Program for 2 months, then get back to the pushups, pullups, situps and all that stuff the month before boot camp. You'll put on the mass. You'll need to start eating more than 3000 calories too because your body is used to it.

CJA
03-12-07, 03:58 PM
Someone told me on this other forum when I had the same question..

"If you weren't eating when you made this post, there's a problem.."

That's really the answer, eat, eat eat, and when you're full, eat more. Expand your stomach pretty much, consume food until you want to throw up... but of course, don't vomit.. haha

Achped
03-12-07, 04:03 PM
CJA, would you like to see the box of the full-size digornio pizza I just ate? Or the half gallon of apple juice I just consumed? :)

All that grease? I AM going to puke!...actually, I'm starting to wish I would! :sick:

slowrider
03-12-07, 04:06 PM
CJA, would you like to see the box of the full-size digornio pizza I just ate? Or the half gallon of apple juice I just consumed? :)

All that grease? I AM going to puke!...actually, I'm starting to wish I would!

Suck them pizza's up now, won't be any at MCRD. ...lol
:D

RuffNight2007
03-12-07, 04:39 PM
I'm 6'4 and I weight 165! I eat a lot too!

davecerami275
03-12-07, 04:50 PM
Marines look like a pit bull or a doberman pincher

SkilletsUSMC
03-12-07, 06:08 PM
Two Words....

DOUBLE RAT....

Sgt Leprechaun
03-12-07, 06:24 PM
Yeah. I was 5'11 and 120 when I left for PI. Graduated at 6'0, 145.

Don't sweat it. You'll put the weight on, I assure you. I ate like a horse prior to going to PI, and never gained any weight.

RuffNight2007
03-12-07, 08:35 PM
Two Words....

DOUBLE RAT....

:bunny: How does double meal work? I heard that you don't even have enough time to eat 1 meal... let alone 2! Do they give the double rats more time or something?

Marinewannabe15
03-12-07, 08:39 PM
I'm 6'0 154 right now...man, I hope I get bigger!!

Sgt Leprechaun
03-12-07, 09:04 PM
Believe me, if you are on double rats, the DI's will make sure you eat enough.

SkilletsUSMC
03-13-07, 12:18 AM
:bunny: How does double meal work? I heard that you don't even have enough time to eat 1 meal... let alone 2! Do they give the double rats more time or something?

The double rats will be the first in line for chow, and thus get more time to eat.

Bullrider
03-13-07, 12:58 AM
Shoot I am 6' and 240 lbs , but I can only drop to 210 lbs or so according to my doctor, I wish I could weigh less but then again I dont want to lose any muscle mass.

But the weigh I gained muscle was eating constantly(this may affect your budget) and I was out doing deadlifts and squats in gym and basically doing laborous jobs( removing trees to help stop the wilderness fires, roofing, electrician, mechanic). But I lived in the sticks for awhile so just dug dirt to build giant gaps for BMX and what have you.

TheBiggness
03-13-07, 11:37 AM
If your trying to get big, Ive always heard eat alot of meat and potatos, and drink the hell out of vitamin D milk. And eat your vegitables it helps you use the protein you consume.

duckdodgers6999
03-13-07, 12:20 PM
I NEED A BEER:marine:

rktect3j
03-13-07, 12:45 PM
Everybody thinks Marines are supposed to be these huge beasts. My Senior Drill Instructor explained something to me once. The only thing a bigger Marine is good for is for making a bigger target. The Corps isn't looking for casualties. 170 is a good weight. By the end of boot camp you will have aded another 10 -20 pounds and it will be all muscle.

8th&I Marine
03-13-07, 02:39 PM
Hey wannabee's I was a double rat recruit in 1989. I was 6'6" and 150 lbs. I was a skinny little SOB. I was called skeletor by all my DI's. Still have the tat on my arm with that name too. I Graduated at 210 lbs in June of 1989 and ran a 298 PFT. So I will say you will gain some weight in boot camp.

Cantrell:flag:

ydnarr
03-13-07, 02:57 PM
Don't sweat the small stuff. Your body is what it is. Eat a lot of protien and pump the free weights. You will build muscle mass and that will add the weight. If your body fat is low now, than when you get through boot the contant PT will add muscle and weight!

velocity500
03-13-07, 03:05 PM
I've always been a big fan of low weights, high reps. This wont add weight, and if anything, reduce muscle/fat ratio, and make you look cut. However, like everyone else said, if you're looking to bulk up, then drink protein or eat fish and meats and pump weights; high weights low reps will probably be your best bet unless you figure out a way that your body reacts to something better.