PDA

View Full Version : Advice.....

Phantom Blooper
03-12-07, 09:11 AM
Shout Loud when you are addressed. You do not have to close the lock on your footlocker or your rifle. Do not step on the line in the squad bays. The drill instructors do not want you to mess up the paint job. If you are going to Parris Island in S.C, it is encouraged that you swat and kill the sand fleas. The drill instructors feel that you are doing them a great service of pest control. The only good sand flea is a dead sand flea. My suggestion is swing away. I mean take that cover off your gourd and swing away while in formation. At San Diego gawk at the airplanes taking off and ask if you can get a camera to take pictures.

Take your time in the chow hall.

Parris Island is great place. I suggest looking around while you are marching. This is a great time and way to enjoy the Island.And listen to the sounds and look at all the sites.

San Diego is a great place too! When climbing Mount MF'er take your time and stroll the mountains and listen to the sounds of music.
<!--EZCODE EMOTICON END-->

Oh yeah a good time to catch up with your friends is in the head. The DI will not bother you in the head. They know that this is your time not theirs. If you have to go to the bathroom just go.You don’t have to ask permission just go!! And just take your time. They will wait on you. During PT, if you’re tired stop and take a rest. If you feel like the DI is being too negative. I suggest that you tell him that this is your first time in boot camp and there is no need to yell. Perhaps you might say something like.” Sir, I am concerned about your health. Did you forget to take your med's today.” Showing this concern may lessen the tension between you and the DI. If all else fails, tell the DI that your father was in the Marine Corps and he said that your DI is a shower shoe and that in the Old Corps they did it like this. This will show the drill instructor that you are up on your Marine Corps history.

Have fun!! It’s only Boot Camp. PAY ATTENTION!! WHAT YOU LEARN THERE MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE. :marine: :evilgrin:

thedrifter
03-12-07, 01:34 PM
Sound Advice!:thumbup:
Now if they read it...;) :D

Ellie

Soon2BeVIP
03-12-07, 07:06 PM
I'm sorry sir, but I refuse to do any of this lol....but maybe swatting sand fleas when the DI's look away for a second...I dunno if there's ever enough time, but I'll probably be dumb and try :p

COMSTOCK21
03-12-07, 07:08 PM
I dont think I will heed any of this advice. It should be titled Advice of what not to do while at Boot Camp.

Poolee C.:usmc:

YLDNDN6
03-12-07, 07:17 PM
Also, most recruits don't know it, but about half way up Mount MF'er, you can bail off the left side of the trail, and catch a ride to the top from one of the cars you hear going by...also, feel free to give your rifle to any person who asks for it...they may need it worse than you do...also, you don't get stuck carrying the dumb thing around all day, or all the way up the Mount that way.

thedrifter
03-12-07, 07:17 PM
I'm sorry sir, but I refuse to do any of this lol....but maybe swatting sand fleas when the DI's look away for a second...I dunno if there's ever enough time, but I'll probably be dumb and try :p

I'll make sure to pass this info too a few DI's I know.. :D

Food for Thought
They are called Drill Instructors...;)

Ellie

Soon2BeVIP
03-12-07, 07:26 PM
I'll make sure to pass this info too a few DI's I know.. :D

Food for Thought
They are called Drill Instructors...;)

Ellie
Sorry about that. I've been trying to process what's the wrong way to say certain things...because some say DI's some say Drill Instructors...so then I don't remember if DI seems disrespectful. Then Marines refer to other Marines that happen to also be female (notice wording ;) ) as WM's and then some don't find that offensive but find Woman Marine offensive...which is what it stands for. I dunno lol...all I know is...I'll refer to them as Drill Instructors....I've got the cleared up. And and as for the 2nd part...I say Marine because everyone is Marine that's made it through boot, we don't ever say "Man Marine". Soooo...Thanks for clearing that up

Allen870922
03-12-07, 07:36 PM

Just remember one thing. There is always someone watching.

Marine84
03-12-07, 07:51 PM
Phantom! I told you about eating them "special" brownies!

DWG
03-12-07, 08:01 PM
Just remember one thing. There is always someone watching.

Absolutely! It is a well known fact that DRILL INSTRUCTORS(40 years and they still scare me) have eyes in the back of their head!

The only D.I. that ever existed was Jack F****** Webb, and that SOB is DEAD!!! Or at least that's what I was told at the time!:evilgrin:

But do what ya wanta do!;)

Phantom Blooper
03-12-07, 08:06 PM
Phantom! I told you about eating them "special" brownies!

Plus washing them down with the :beer: !
<!-- / message -->

Achped
03-12-07, 08:29 PM
Shout Loud when you are addressed.

Aren't you supposed to do this though?

katiejokemp
03-12-07, 09:01 PM
Sorry about that. I've been trying to process what's the wrong way to say certain things...because some say DI's some say Drill Instructors...so then I don't remember if DI seems disrespectful. Then Marines refer to other Marines that happen to also be female (notice wording ;) ) as WM's and then some don't find that offensive but find Woman Marine offensive...which is what it stands for. I dunno lol...all I know is...I'll refer to them as Drill Instructors....I've got the cleared up. And and as for the 2nd part...I say Marine because everyone is Marine that's made it through boot, we don't ever say "Man Marine". Soooo...Thanks for clearing that up

wm... it stands for walking mattress. and no... female Marines dont like it. =]

Phantom Blooper
03-13-07, 06:42 AM
Achped,

Shout Loud when you are addressed.

Yes, shout as loud as a recruit can,give the drill instructor reason to file a claim with the Veterans Administration for being hearing impaired!Show that motivation!

This post was meant to be used as a learning tool of what not to do at boot camp except for the first sentence and the last two.

PAY ATTENTION!! WHAT YOU LEARN THERE MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE.

:evilgrin:

Marine84
03-13-07, 07:50 AM
wm... it stands for walking mattress. and no... female Marines dont like it. =]

NO! It DOES NOT stand for walking mattress - it stands for WOMAN MARINE! ALWAYS remember that since you aspire to be one.

And I'm not too far up the road from you.............I'm at Buford Hwy and 285.

YLDNDN6
03-13-07, 10:01 AM
I once had a female officer Marine type get on my 6 about calling her a Woman Marine. She pointed out a dark green Marine and said "Would you call him a black Marine, or would you call LCPL Martinez a Mexican Marine??? We are all Marines, LCPL!!!" I wanted to say "Allrighty then, Marine, here's yer ALICE, yer M60, yer PRC77, and yer buddy's crap, cuz he dropped. Have fun with it!!!" I wonder if my head would have stopped spinning by now or not???

yellowwing
03-13-07, 11:43 AM
Dang Phantom Blooper! You may have just whacked the sand flea biology in SC out of kilter! Who knows what the implications may be :banana:

Marine84
03-13-07, 01:01 PM
I once had a female officer Marine type get on my 6 about calling her a Woman Marine. She pointed out a dark green Marine and said "Would you call him a black Marine, or would you call LCPL Martinez a Mexican Marine??? We are all Marines, LCPL!!!" I wanted to say "Allrighty then, Marine, here's yer ALICE, yer M60, yer PRC77, and yer buddy's crap, cuz he dropped. Have fun with it!!!" I wonder if my head would have stopped spinning by now or not???

Not would be my guess - LOL! I know they teach females a lot different now but, they taught us that we are women first - they didn't teach us a lot of that "field" crap that you guys do. When we were in (or out of) uniform we were to behave like women - you know..............manners, keep your legs crossed when sitting, blah, blah, blah. For instance - not only did I learn how to shoot an M16 - I was taught that when having dinner, it was "proper" for a woman to cut all of her meat up at the same time before you eat it, not eat it cut piece by piece. I STILL do that! (OMG! I have an OCD!) I SWEAR I did not know this before I went to Parris Island.

Depending on when you were in - she would have freaked if you were able to hand her all of that and tell her to go "play". I'm glad I only had to do that "humpin'" thing once.

Phantom Blooper
03-13-07, 01:18 PM
I only had to do that "humpin'" thing once

I like doing that "humpin" thing more than once! :banana:

katiejokemp
03-13-07, 02:55 PM
i understand what ya mean by it meaning Woman Marine. but certain Marines use it in the context of saying walking matress. either way it is disrespectful. females are Marines too. so why should others call them "Women Marines"? thats just the same as singling someone out. if ya understand what i mean? oh yeah... buford highway and 285?! ive been there too many times. lol

yellowwing
03-13-07, 03:05 PM
It means just like any other Marine females are mean lethal and nasty when need be! :evilgrin:

Phantom Blooper
03-13-07, 03:16 PM
Dang Phantom Blooper! You may have just whacked the sand flea biology in SC out of kilter! Who knows what the implications may be

I am just trying to do my part as a citizen Marine. I hope the EPA isn't lurking.And Wing,please I beg of thee don't tell Mr. Enviromental Internet Al Gore!:yes: :yes:

:evilgrin:

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-13-07, 03:22 PM
I don't know that I ever called a Marine a WM until it became a big deal. If you are a woman and you are a Marine, then you are a WM. If you wish to call me a MM, go ahead, I don't care.

For what its worth, I had a WM platoon commander/company XO that would tear a WM apart if she complained about the term. Like it or not, the Marine Corps is a male's world and women are still somewhat an oddity. That means that there will be distinctions made.

As for the walking mattress comment, it only comes into play if it is true. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Depends on the actions of the Marine in question.

YLDNDN6
03-13-07, 03:48 PM
I met WAY more "Walking Mattresses" in Army and Navy uniforms, though. God bless those ladies!!!

Marine84
03-13-07, 07:04 PM
Like it or not, the Marine Corps is a male's world and women are still somewhat an oddity. That means that there will be distinctions made.

Hallaluyah! Amen to that my Brother! Last time I checked there ARE big distinctions between males and females!

Did something change the older I got?