PDA

View Full Version : Dep

119Wrestler
03-11-07, 09:37 PM
What exactly do you do in DEP ?
and do the recruiters yell at you like in boot camp ?

jinelson
03-11-07, 11:02 PM
Im gonna let the Poolees answer your question pup their living it.

OORAH!!!

Jim

HLeyb
03-11-07, 11:38 PM
No they don't yell at you, in fact they're friendly for the most part.
Basically you would be preparing for Recruit Training. You would attend poolee functions a few times a month where you would do PT and have a good time, get to know other poolees. The poolee functions are optional, but you are required to "check in" with your recruiter once a week, let him know you're alive (by phone or in person). You would still be living your civilian life, just mentally and physically trying to prepare for boot.

Kildars
03-11-07, 11:57 PM
When I was in DEP we got screamed at during poolee functions if we messed up. No problem though, if you can't take a recruiter yelling at you. Good luck at MCRD.:thumbup:

RuffNight2007
03-12-07, 12:03 AM
Our poolee functions aren't optional... but that might be due to the fact we only have one every month.

As the other poolee's above me said, they are usually friendly but if you screw up, they'll most likely yell at you... and then laugh about it =D

Currently, pool functions suck. They used to be cool when I didn't have a 12 hour shift right after the function and when we actually did stuff to prepare us for bootcamp, but now... they suck... we don't do anything!

119Wrestler
03-12-07, 12:24 AM
alright thx, that helped alot i was just wondering what you do.
Is it true if you do DEP they guarantee u a spot in the MOS u want ?>??

futureMarine418
03-12-07, 01:06 AM
From what ive learned and someone correct me if im wrong but a recruiter can only promise you an mos field and then you are placed in a specific mos according to the needs of the Marines

LDO Capt
03-12-07, 08:38 AM
I spent three years on recruiting duty, had some really good DEP meetings, had some bad ones, the diffrence between them was if I had time to get them planned and arranged. A recruiters first job is to recruit, that takes up many hours and never stops, a good recruiter is always recruiting, hell my wife had my business cards and passed them out when she was out and about. So my advice, instead of complaining about the quality of the DEP meetings is to assist your recruiters with the recruiting so that they have more time to arrange and plan for better DEP meetings. Besides it will also get you promoted. Just a thought.

poolie13
03-12-07, 03:37 PM
I've been a Poolee for almost a year now and I can tell you that Poolee Functions are meant to prepare you for Boot Camp. At my RSS the Recruiters did yell alot, but that was to prepare us for what's coming. Not all RSS do the same thing, so may or may not get yelled at. Now to answer your second question... If you haven't signed any papers reguarding to a MOS then your probably under an "Open Contract". Then the Marine Corps can send you to any job they think you would be good at. You can change that by going to your recruiter and asking for a job. Pick a job field you may be intersted in and see if you qualify for that job. Hint..."AFQT" scores. Depends on how well you did on the ASVAB. Always have the top three choices for what you want to do. But remember, every Marine is a Rifleman Foremost!

Soon2BeVIP
03-12-07, 06:51 PM
Ya RSS' differ on how the recruiters are during poolee meetings. Some of them yell at you, others don't. Mine personally doesn't, he just tells you what need to do and he gets p***ed if you don't do it. I like the DEP though...I'm glad I decided to do it. My recruiter is pretty much the best. 2 weeks ago he bought 10 of us poolees dinner at TGI Fridays out of his own pocket. Then Friday he's getting me out of my house because I've been grounded and he can tell I'm going crazy...I dunno what we're doing...but he was like movies, mall, whatever. Haha I talk to my recruiter way too much.

119Wrestler
03-12-07, 10:17 PM
oh thanks thats good information
If you DEP do you get promoted to PFC ??

katiejokemp
03-12-07, 10:25 PM
nope. the only way you get promoted is this...
if you have 2 or more years of rotc. one promotion
and if you get 2 or more ppl to join the MC. one promotion.

skoozi
03-12-07, 10:25 PM
You can get PFC upon graduation if you get two people to DEP in.

skoozi
03-12-07, 10:27 PM
nope. the only way you get promoted is this...
if you have 2 or more years of rotc. one promotion
and if you get 2 or more ppl to join the MC. one promotion.

Or 15+ college credits.
Or if you were an Eagle Scout.

skoozi
03-12-07, 10:42 PM
It seems the DEP varies quite a bit depending on where you are. The easiest way to find out what kind of stuff you'll be doing is to ask your recruiter.

With my RSS, the functions are mandatory, and the recruiters try to make it as much like Recruit Training as possible, ie lots of PT, screaming in your face and whatnot. Some you will hate, others are pretty fun. This week all the poolee's at my RSS played football against the recruiters. Next week they are trying to get us to a gas chamber.

119Wrestler
03-12-07, 11:34 PM
oh ok thanks, because some people told me you can do that.
so just get two friends into dep ?