PDA

View Full Version : Embassy duty

bigfoot1188
03-11-07, 03:48 PM
So I know I should be thinking of becoming a MARINE first before I start thinking about all this other stuff. The thing is ever since I got into the DEP program I have thought about embassy duty. I was wondering if any of you Marines out there can tell me about it or give me any info...stories..what its like...and so on.

HLeyb
03-11-07, 03:51 PM
Not to be a party pooper, but from what I understand Embassy Duty is a Special Duty assignment you receive after your first enlistment, if at all.

My recruiter told me such great stories about it though, it's something I'd love to do down the line.

bigfoot1188
03-11-07, 04:13 PM
ahh really man...all I have heard is that its only open after your first enlistment period..........So there is no way to sign up for it or send in a request after you re-enlist

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-11-07, 05:22 PM
Unless things have changed, you can do it during your first tour, but you would have to extend your contract. They will not take you unless you are an above average Marine. The school is one of the most difficult in the USMC. They will not simply let you pass through. If you do complete the school you will do tours at two embassies. One at a "good" embassy and one at a "bad" embassy.

skoozi
03-11-07, 05:24 PM
I was interested in this as well. As I was told, once you reach Corporal you can put in a request for it.

konman1
03-11-07, 05:40 PM
For what its worth: I remember when the MSG board came to do interviews, 2 of the Marines that I know got it were junior LCpls, and I know for a fact they had to extend.

Ceya
03-11-07, 05:55 PM
You can do it on your first tour but as stated you must extend your contract or reenlist. It is not like it was before 15 per tour ( 2 embassy) , you now get 1 year at each station so it will be 3 embassy tours.

https://www.msgbn.usmc.mil/?pg=articles.asp&id=15

S/F,
CEYA!

killerinstinct
03-12-07, 08:13 AM
MSG has one of the highest drop outs and more so in the winter time. If you do go go during summer months.

usually its a billet for Marines doing more than one contract. Usually you'll get one ****ty place where you are on lock down and cant ever leave the compund and one good pick like a dream place kinda thing , but one thing for sure one ****ty place you will get.